Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
An Imax query
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

beverlynation

Nov 17 2012, 1:41am

Post #51 of 73 (358 views)
Shortcut
Scalers on projectors [In reply to] Can't Post

Most projectors have a scaler which can provide a type of "on the fly" reformatting.

My concern with the HFR3D is PJ's comment that you have to get used to it. (paraphrased) Just like some people don't like 3D or get a headache although some eye doctors say that people who have a reaction to 3D may have an undiagnosed eye problem.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 17 2012, 2:47am

Post #52 of 73 (354 views)
Shortcut
That's fine [In reply to] Can't Post

As long as you don't squat over the punch bowl.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2012, 5:08am

Post #53 of 73 (346 views)
Shortcut
5K is actually closer to 7x the resolution of 1080p [In reply to] Can't Post

5K = 5120x2700 or 13.8 Megapixels

1080P = 1920x1080 or 2.1 Megapixels

You have to multiply the width by the height to get the full measurement of resolution.

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 17 2012, 3:28pm

Post #54 of 73 (331 views)
Shortcut
I believe [In reply to] Can't Post

the Great Goblin invented a throne seat for moments like that. Might put you off your popcorn though. Crazy

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2012, 3:36pm

Post #55 of 73 (311 views)
Shortcut
Understood [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you.

Have been seeing some Red pictures recently. Dragon Tattoo, Prometheus...it certainly does not have any of that cold, clinical exactedness that some digital movies have...the visuals are strong, the colours are bold and bright, resembling pastel like pj said...but im not sure it surpasses the visual quality of analog...The Dark Knight Rises looked quite different from these.

We will see...Smile

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Nov 17 2012, 3:39pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 17 2012, 3:59pm

Post #56 of 73 (306 views)
Shortcut
Thank god it's not 4D [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't fancy Great Goblin projectile diarrhea shooting at me. Still ... We might get that in 3D!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Nov 17 2012, 4:00pm)

Owain
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2012, 4:14pm

Post #57 of 73 (301 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. They are beautiful images :-) RED stands at the top... [In reply to] Can't Post

Of Digital Cinema.

Smile

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 17 2012, 4:23pm

Post #58 of 73 (292 views)
Shortcut
Haha! [In reply to] Can't Post

I do wonder, though, if PJ will indulge his dark side a bit, and have a shower of Goblin diarrhea fly at the audience Gallagher-style...

Kassandros
Rohan

Nov 17 2012, 4:25pm

Post #59 of 73 (299 views)
Shortcut
But 4K should be about 4x as big as 2K [In reply to] Can't Post

As I understand it, 2K is what's used in theaters now. The film will be projected in 4K. So The Hobbit will have about four times the resolution of existing films. For every pixel in digital movie these days, The Hobbit, when shown in 4k, will have 4 pixels.

I find myself very annoyed that some resolution names (5K, 4K, 2K) use the horizontal length while others (1080, 720, 480) use the vertical. Whoever made that decision...

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Owain
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2012, 4:28pm

Post #60 of 73 (308 views)
Shortcut
Correct. They are capturing at 5K and then center extracting... [In reply to] Can't Post

To 4K for final delivery,

They are oversampling the image fate for greater latitude in post-production.

Smile

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2012, 4:45pm

Post #61 of 73 (292 views)
Shortcut
I dont know if this has anything to [In reply to] Can't Post

do with the Red cameras or post production, but the Arrilexa Digital Camera was used for Game of Thrones and i find no flaws in the way it looks. I think it is a perfect image. It has none of the faults of digital. But in some shots in the hobbit i can see flaws...some vry obvious ones...lets hope its just trailer stuff, not the finished product.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 17 2012, 10:27pm

Post #62 of 73 (293 views)
Shortcut
Don't you mean bun-flurry? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 18 2012, 6:42am

Post #63 of 73 (278 views)
Shortcut
What kinds of flaws? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm genuinely curious.

And IMO, the cinematography in Game of Thrones seems much, much better than what we have seen of the Hobbit. Wonder if this has anything to do with the cameras...

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2012, 2:42pm

Post #64 of 73 (287 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

with digital cameras, sometimes, the image can have a plastic feel to it, sets, costumes can be overly exposed to detail, often characters faces have a clinical exactedness which has never pleased me..in short, it doesnt have a fake or too digital look to it. I think its perfect really.

Of we have seen 20 hours of game of thrones...maybe 4 minutes of hobbit footage, being that footage, ungraded, often re graded and refixed, some of it wont even be in the movie...i think its unfair to compare them.

However, the cinamatography in Game of Thrones is brilliant. It uses natural light and for indoor darkened scenes, it takes advantage of candlelight to create this really beautifull, almost painterly effect, very moody and medievil feel...

I would expect the Aliaxerra to be inferior to the RED Epic, so if i were to take a guess, i would say any difference with the quality of the cinematography rely on DP choices and lighting decisions.

But then they are too different beasts. GOT spends most of its time inside real castles and a ssuch it benefits from conditions that the hobbit doesnt have...

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 18 2012, 4:27pm

Post #65 of 73 (265 views)
Shortcut
Probably DP choices [In reply to] Can't Post

As Andrew Lesnie relies heavily on unnatural lights, including big stadium lights, for his style of cinematography. He also goes in for far, far less contrast than the DP involved in Game of Thrones. Together, these differences are primarily responsible for Game of Thrones looking more natural, and IMO, better.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2012, 5:28pm

Post #66 of 73 (255 views)
Shortcut
and [In reply to] Can't Post

the real castles and locations, which the hobbit doesnt have.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 18 2012, 7:07pm

Post #67 of 73 (255 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, that's an issue [In reply to] Can't Post

I always wished that LOTR and the Hobbit were filmed in Europe, and utilized hybrids of real stone structures and sets. But that's all water under the bridge now.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2012, 8:18pm

Post #68 of 73 (242 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

For lotr the water has passed, but in regards to the hobbit, where in europe do you see as possible locations? Are you refering to castles, palaces, villas and such in connection to which place in ME? Or landscapes as well?

For a future tv show, europe would certainly be used since its easier to shoot here.

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Nov 18 2012, 8:19pm)

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 18 2012, 10:26pm

Post #69 of 73 (227 views)
Shortcut
You can find everything in Europe but [In reply to] Can't Post

you would have to travel a lot further. As they do for GoT of course.

But PJ obviously loves the landscape of NZ, just as Tolkien loved England-That-Was, and that pays off in the movies.

The other problem with real world locations is that recognising them can pull you out of the movie (as with Petra in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade).

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2012, 11:59pm

Post #70 of 73 (222 views)
Shortcut
travelling [In reply to] Can't Post

within the european union is quite easy and simple, at least for a short party...but i suppose for a large crew, it could be frought with complications...

Ah, that is correct. i recognized Dubrovnik in Croatia from the Kings Landing scenes in GOT. Unmistakable that place is. I suppose it can take you a bit out of the fantasy world...

But goblin town, mirkwood, laketown, erebor, rivendell...i dont really see anyplaces that could be found for them...rivendell perhaps, if theu built it at a real location..

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 19 2012, 7:40am

Post #71 of 73 (63 views)
Shortcut
Mirkwood is easy [In reply to] Can't Post

Venice is a bit obvious for Laketown, but there are also a number of reconstructed bronze age settlements on lakes - I think there is one in Ireland.

There are 1001 elegant houses, palaces and stately homes that could be Rivendell, if you aren't trying to match the look in the films. Cragside in Northumbria is a place that made me think of Rivendell.

Edinburgh Castle is very much like Minas Tirith, if you where remaking LotR.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 19 2012, 8:20am

Post #72 of 73 (65 views)
Shortcut
Not sure the residents of Edinburgh would really appreciate 15 Oliphaunts trampling through the city! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Edinburgh Castle is very much like Minas Tirith, if you where remaking LotR.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Nov 19 2012, 5:10pm

Post #73 of 73 (156 views)
Shortcut
Im afraid people would see Venice, not Laketown [In reply to] Can't Post

since its so recognizable...

Agreed that Rivendell could be found, but not like that, personally. Inever pictured rivendell like that, at all.

that edinburgh castel would be interetsing but not quite as accurate as the movie version...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.