Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Do you think there will be a TH:DOS preview, like in FOTR for TTT?..

TheHutt
Gondor

Nov 15 2012, 1:09pm

Post #1 of 14 (649 views)
Shortcut
Do you think there will be a TH:DOS preview, like in FOTR for TTT?.. Can't Post

As you probably recall, in March 2002 (after the Oscar ceremony), cinemas still showing FOTR were shipped a new final reel of the film, with a preview for The Two Towers (which I personally consider the best of the existing TTT trailers).
I always was annoyed that there was no such preview for ROTK because of time and effort reasons.

Do you think PJ will make one for "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" at the end of AUJ's theatrical run?
And: would you like such a preview?

Russian LotR/Hobbit Site:

Henneth-annun.ru - the Russian LOTR site

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 15 2012, 1:16pm

Post #2 of 14 (342 views)
Shortcut
I would like one, but I think it's more likely we'll get a sneak peak on the AUJ DVD/Blu-ray [In reply to] Can't Post

So let's say the home release is in April/May, and then maybe a full DOS trailer in June?

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 15 2012, 2:31pm

Post #3 of 14 (270 views)
Shortcut
I hope so [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be an amazing end to the film - not that we *need* one!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 15 2012, 2:44pm

Post #4 of 14 (283 views)
Shortcut
I think there's a good chance... [In reply to] Can't Post

... either for the cinema or the DVD, because having come so close to cutting this as two films they must have at least some footage ready for the later parts of the story.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 15 2012, 3:14pm

Post #5 of 14 (249 views)
Shortcut
This is very likely [In reply to] Can't Post

Considering that WB waited until September to give us the second trailer, I think they'll do something similar. I know we got an AUJ teaser last December, but I think this December/early new year will be all about AUJ and promotion on the second film won't begin until after the blu-ray is out.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 15 2012, 3:21pm

Post #6 of 14 (269 views)
Shortcut
That might explain a discrepency in reported run-times... [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks like AUJ will clock-in around 170 minutes. A 10-minute preview of DoS might explain at least one report of an 180-minute running time.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

shadowfaux
Bree

Nov 15 2012, 4:05pm

Post #7 of 14 (224 views)
Shortcut
Also the star trek preview ... [In reply to] Can't Post

The 9-minute star trek preview attached to the imax formats might be an alternate reason. Not nearly as nice.

Note the difference in run times between imax and non imax here: http://www.gqti.com/theaters.aspx?TheaterID=1486&Date=20121213

If it is true PJ is still working on the movie until early next week, I doubt he has time to assemble a DOS trailer.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 15 2012, 4:46pm

Post #8 of 14 (193 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that could also be the case... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Star Trek 2 preview might also account for the longer run-time. My understanding is that it will only be shown at screenings in IMAX 3D.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

waaimasjien
Bree

Nov 15 2012, 7:53pm

Post #9 of 14 (162 views)
Shortcut
I keep reading DOS as [In reply to] Can't Post

Dream of Spring, the still to be written last book of A Song of Ice and Fire. Been spending to much time on westeros.org ;)

Does anyone remember at what point in FOTR the preview for TT started? Before or after the credits roll? (and by roll, I mean roll, not the 'close-up' credits.)

TheHutt
Gondor

Nov 15 2012, 8:34pm

Post #10 of 14 (145 views)
Shortcut
They started... [In reply to] Can't Post

...just after the fade out of Frodo and Sam in Emyn Muil, but prior to "Directed by Peter Jackson".

Russian LotR/Hobbit Site:

Henneth-annun.ru - the Russian LOTR site

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Nov 15 2012, 9:38pm

Post #11 of 14 (131 views)
Shortcut
It's TDOS [In reply to] Can't Post

DOS is an archaic operating system from Microsoft.

You're gonna get all the anti-Microsofties after you. The public at large is NOT going to identify DOS with anything other than bad memories.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 16 2012, 4:05am

Post #12 of 14 (107 views)
Shortcut
Since Many People get up and Don't care Wit about Credits [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel there will just be A the Title CARD
showing the Next Installment and. The Date..

People will need to go the Loo by then.
Suspense with a Montage will further delay their Exit.

We will want to see the Credits but the Majority need
to keep their Kids from Weeing in their pants.
BOMBY

Owain
Tol Eressea

Nov 16 2012, 4:23am

Post #13 of 14 (103 views)
Shortcut
Could be... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would love to see it.

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Nov 16 2012, 5:26am

Post #14 of 14 (154 views)
Shortcut
Eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sorry, I don't understand your reply to my post.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.