Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Gandalf knowing the history of Smeagol.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 15 2012, 5:05pm

Post #26 of 37 (237 views)
Shortcut
They took it out because... [In reply to] Can't Post

it's a purse...that talks. What more explanation do you need, sir!? Laugh

ETA - oh look! I've made it to Gondor finally. Not that it compares to your super deluxe ultimate spectacular immortality or anything, but it's the small things Tongue

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

(This post was edited by Ardamírë on Nov 15 2012, 5:07pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 15 2012, 5:12pm

Post #27 of 37 (244 views)
Shortcut
Small steps, small steps! [In reply to] Can't Post

Congratulations on reaching Gondor.Smile

The purse is just as sentient as the Ring, or Eol's sword; and both are accepted by fans!

I love this discussion, but fear I'm derailing the thread. Maybe we should take this elsewhere.Wink

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 15 2012, 5:27pm

Post #28 of 37 (225 views)
Shortcut
You *fear* you're derailing it? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty sure you wrecked this train a long time ago Tongue

And thanks, I'm sure I'll get to immortality before the Silmarillion movie series comes out Wink

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 15 2012, 5:59pm

Post #29 of 37 (234 views)
Shortcut
So no issues with Dwalin's talking toupee? [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo's singing socks or Gandalf's poetry reciting saddle?

LR

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 15 2012, 7:04pm

Post #30 of 37 (196 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't have a problem with them, if Tolkien had written them into the story. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 15 2012, 7:07pm

Post #31 of 37 (197 views)
Shortcut
Tsk Tsk [In reply to] Can't Post

That's very non-critical thinking!

And would you really? If a new draft turned up, signed and authenticated as Tolkien's last and true version if the Hobbit?

LR

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 15 2012, 7:18pm

Post #32 of 37 (203 views)
Shortcut
It would obviously depend on their impact on the plot. [In reply to] Can't Post

Had all these talking things already been in the book, I wouldn't think any differently - it's a childrens fairy tale story (easily comparable to the Narnia series). If that's what Tolkien wanted to write about, then that's up to him. Would it make for great reading? Of course it wouldn't.

Is a talking purse really that silly, when Nori will be burping non stop on Bag End?

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 15 2012, 7:56pm

Post #33 of 37 (184 views)
Shortcut
But that's a bit [In reply to] Can't Post

"Do you like it?"
"Is it Lacroix?"
"Do you like it?"
".... I like it if it's Lacroix, sweety"

I think it's better if we like Tolkien because it's good, rather than because it's Tolkien. Like anything else, he has the odd bum note, and singing socks would be daft, Tolkien or not. The Nori thing may well be silly - and if so, silly it will be. We shall see.

I'm kind of fascinated by the "I like it if it's Tolkien" thing. I was reading a very lengthy series of posts about how ridiculous it was for Jackson to present Sauron as having troops at Dol Guldur (seemingly in the absence of knowledge of what Tolkien said on the matter). At which point you realise it is a bit of a game and how difficult it is to base your judgement of something on a hand of poker played with quotes and inferences.

LR

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 15 2012, 8:09pm

Post #34 of 37 (182 views)
Shortcut
I'm here because I like Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

Ultimately, a talking sock would not change my opinion of the book/s at all (unless the sock replaced a key character, like Frodo). The purse is in the story because it's a child's story - it's in to capture the mind of a child. It really isn't that silly in a fantasy world - it simply squeks. It doesn't start singing Whitney Huston, or ride an Oliphaunt into battle. That would be ridiculous.

But i agree - it's a fine balance between what is good, and whether its what Tolkien wanted.

But I'm not trying to convince anyone. I just believe it could be included into the films, without sticking out like a site thumb.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Nov 15 2012, 9:19pm

Post #35 of 37 (180 views)
Shortcut
Talking purse would be amazing if it was in ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Too bad "a source" said it wasn't in, but I promise, that right after I've seen the movie I will PM you if the purse actually is in! Wink

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 15 2012, 9:34pm

Post #36 of 37 (167 views)
Shortcut
I'd be stunned [In reply to] Can't Post

You won't be able to get anything out of me for days!Wink

Tim
Tol Eressea

Nov 15 2012, 9:36pm

Post #37 of 37 (207 views)
Shortcut
Riiight. ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

-Tim came by. Tim! If you had heard only a quarter of what I have heard about him, and I have only heard very little of all there is to hear, you would be prepared for any sort of remarkable tale.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.