Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit = Oscar hope for Warner?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2012, 2:23am

Post #26 of 42 (367 views)
Shortcut
Was that about Avatar sarcasm? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

jtarkey
Rohan

Nov 14 2012, 3:33am

Post #27 of 42 (359 views)
Shortcut
Avatar's story was certainly nothing special. However... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a huge fan of classic cinema. I was never a fan of 3D before seeing Avatar. But after seeing it, I was convinced. When 3D is used to bring you INTO the film (instead of having things pop out at you) it is amazing. Avatar was a great example of the future of cinema. It brought you into the world it was portraying.

Apparently, according to Sir Ian, The Hobbit is doing the same which is a relief. I've been looking at The Hobbit as an experience rather than simply seeing a film. The advantage the Hobbit has is a stellar story to go along with the stellar visuals.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

guitarzankansasfan
Lorien

Nov 14 2012, 3:59am

Post #28 of 42 (346 views)
Shortcut
Too bad they don't have a category [In reply to] Can't Post

for "highest frame rate". Just getting a high frame rate film released into theaters is a historic technical achievement.

There was a man.
There was a lady.
There was a Dragon Lord.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Nov 14 2012, 5:17am

Post #29 of 42 (328 views)
Shortcut
Not real likely on the first part. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on Nov 14 2012, 5:17am)

Tim
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2012, 5:51am

Post #30 of 42 (322 views)
Shortcut
Huh... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Just look no further than Avatar, one of the most awesome/greatest films ever made/written (& I bet PJ himself would agree on this), yet it barely came away with a few technical awards...dispite the fact it had the best/most original music score, best story, best directing, best cinematography, not to mention best movie by far that year.

-Tim came by. Tim! If you had heard only a quarter of what I have heard about him, and I have only heard very little of all there is to hear, you would be prepared for any sort of remarkable tale.

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Nov 14 2012, 7:28am

Post #31 of 42 (338 views)
Shortcut
Best Story???? [In reply to] Can't Post

You sure about that. Pocahontas, meets The Smurfs meets Fern GulleyUnsure

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Nov 14 2012, 7:29am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 14 2012, 8:04am

Post #32 of 42 (300 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I don't know. [In reply to] Can't Post

There are some rubbish films that have won plenty of Oscars, and some brilliant films that have won none.

It will win a few regardless, I reckon.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Joe20
Lorien

Nov 14 2012, 9:58am

Post #33 of 42 (295 views)
Shortcut
Avatar was so overrated [In reply to] Can't Post

Owain
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2012, 4:00pm

Post #34 of 42 (249 views)
Shortcut
I think that it has the chance to be nominated... [In reply to] Can't Post

and hold out hopes for some wins.

Obviously, as all here probably hope, I want a great movie first... which to me, everything is looking very promising to that end.

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Kassandros
Rohan

Nov 14 2012, 4:24pm

Post #35 of 42 (249 views)
Shortcut
Avatar is about Jake Sully, not the geopolitics of Pandora [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

You sure about that. Pocahontas, meets The Smurfs meets Fern GulleyUnsure

I am certainly not going to say Avatar had the best story of its year, but these comparisons are unfair.

The central story of Avatar revolves around Jake Sully's personal story, not the conflict between humans and the Na'vi. Jake loses the ability to walk and then gets it back virtually in his a body that is not his own. As the movie goes on, his Avatar body becomes his reality while his physical body becames a painful nightmare he wakes up to. I thought some of the transition scenes were actually pretty powerful. Ultimately, he is torn between his own sense of morality and his desire to have a whole body. The movie is called Avatar not The War of Pandora. There's a reason for that.

I'm not saying this story is perfect (it would have been much more powerful if Jake had to give up his Na'vi body since it was the creation of the corrupt corporate society that he rebelled against), but it's definitely not just a rehash of Fern Gully. The stuff that's similar to Fern Gully is only the backdrop for Jake's personal story, which is far more original in the world of cinema.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Nov 14 2012, 4:29pm

Post #36 of 42 (231 views)
Shortcut
How about we toss in a bit of "Dances With Wolves"? [In reply to] Can't Post

then "Pocahontas, meets The Smurfs meets Fern Gulley" pretty much covers it. Avatar was real pretty but I have onley watched it once and do not feel compelled to do so again. KS

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 14 2012, 4:31pm

Post #37 of 42 (228 views)
Shortcut
I think quite a few people might disagree with you on this [In reply to] Can't Post

Just look no further than Avatar, one of the most awesome/greatest films ever made/written

I thought it was one of the most overrated/mediocre films ever made/written. Smile

And though many love the visuals, even the most hardcore fans I have met agree that Cameron's scripts are usually pretty pedestrian. So the best "ever written" might meet some resistance even amongst the Cameron cult.

IMO, Avatar deserved only the technical awards it got.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 14 2012, 4:35pm

Post #38 of 42 (221 views)
Shortcut
Odd theory [In reply to] Can't Post

I am a liberal Democrat, and I know that Hollywood generally doesn't try to please the Republican Party!

Hurt Locker won because it is well done film showing us aspects of war we are not normally exposed to. I think that is a good thing.

Avatar didn't win not because of an environmentalist message (a message I generally approve of), but because of a pretty ham-fisted story, and mediocre acting.

On a low budget, Avatar would not have been noticed by anyone.

Sunflower
Valinor

Nov 14 2012, 4:44pm

Post #39 of 42 (235 views)
Shortcut
Not much, I admit [In reply to] Can't Post

At least not for the first one.

I think most Oscar-watchers can pretty much kiss any hope of a Score nomination for Shore goodbye, at least with this installment. I haven't listened to the soundtrack, except for the Neil Finn song (I intend to remain, as I said in the music thread, unspoiled when I go into the theater..though I don't mind reading descriptions of the score) but I understand that it is full of not only snippets from, but entire musical phrases borrowed from LOTR, scattered, as I understand it, all throughout the film. that decisively disqualifies it from a nomination. the Music branch of the Academy has become one of the more intractible and irritating bunch of folks in AMPAS over the past decade, and a couple of years ago they instituted a new rule that they've follwed with depressing finality: A musical score must be wholly "origional" to be nominated--no "borrowed" music. You would not beleive what scores have been disqualified the past 2 or 3 yrs b/c of this rule. The only time they have broken this rule was for "The King's Speech" which won Best Picture. So they'll nominate a core with "samples" only if your score is the for the film that, going into the final legs of the race, is held to be the front-runner.

Which as we know will NOT happen for AUJ, even if it is nominated. The winner this yr will more likely be Argo or Lincoln or, God willing, Les Miz. As of now, all the "Oscar hopefuls" have been seen except for TH, Les Miz and Django Unchained, and it's a tough race, but these are films everyone is talking about.

But who knows? AMPAS likes to pick favorites and I've noticed that Shore has tended to get a nom for most scores he's done sonce LOTR. That, pus the fact that this is weak era for movie music. How many good cadidates might there be.

The other thing to take into consideration is the Academy's decisive hatred these days for anything that smacks of "franchise." In the past 2 yrs they have turned anti-commericail, ever since they ditched 10 BP nominees to this addle-brained "1%" voting rule. I don't refer to a political class here, but the new method of voting. Basically, 3 yrs ago we had a great system of voting and we had to have 10 BP nominees. Then 2 yrs ago they tossed that out and insituted a system of voting that said we could have anywhere from 5 to 10 nominees. Go to the Awards Daily site for a tutorial on this--it's pretty daunting. The Academy these days sees themselves as the last bastion of "art" and "culture" in a Hollywood determined to dumb down the populace with franchises.Some members have been very vocal about this in interviews. I doubt Avatar or D9 would be nominated today. In this regard, Peter Jackson might be looked on a bit less favorably. I;m sure they've seen the Denny's spots too. Plus, the Acadmy has long history of wanting to "tear down" former Oscar darlings. That, or they just politely leave them alone.

I have my hopes up, but I might be proved right.

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Nov 14 2012, 4:49pm)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 14 2012, 4:49pm

Post #40 of 42 (229 views)
Shortcut
Everything you describe about the Academy [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like a positive development.

Kassandros
Rohan

Nov 14 2012, 4:49pm

Post #41 of 42 (216 views)
Shortcut
I watched it three times in theaters : ) [In reply to] Can't Post

Still don't think Dances With Wolves covers it. It's about Sully and getting the ability to walk back while living a a false life in another body. Yes, all of those films have similarities and are influences, certainly, but none of them have anything like Jake's personal story.

For what it's worth, I was surprised that I liked Avatar more on the second viewing. By the third viewing, however, the cheesy dialog and bad acting of some of the secondary characters got to me a bit more, and I never felt the need to watch it at home. Of course, I don't have a 3D tv, either, so part of my third viewing (the extended cut they rereleased) was as an alternative to watching it at home as much as anything else.

Overall I'd rate Avatar as follows:
Visual effects: Groundbreaking. Best ever.
Art Direction: Excellent.
Acting: Ok. The important characters are well acted, for the most part.
Story: Decent to good.
Script: Eh...

I guess I basically feel that the story is just good enough to make Avatar an enjoyable experience. I don't watch it to see the great acting, but the story's good enough that we're not just watching random eye candy. The vividness of Jake's live as a Na'vi on Pandora serves a purpose in the story. The visual effects tie into this. I think that's why the movie works for me.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Sunflower
Valinor

Nov 14 2012, 5:00pm

Post #42 of 42 (232 views)
Shortcut
Ah, God bless you, Mr Shelob [In reply to] Can't Post

Somehow I *knew* you'd say that. We wuvs ya, really. Smile

I have to leave now (no posting from a phone for me) so I can't continue this, but if you want to follow the Oscar race, go to awardsdaily.com- one of the origional "oscar watchers" sites, it's a fantastic movie site. I've read it for 12 yrs.
In addition to great home page essays, the Forums are great too. It would be right up your alley--there are a bunch of folks there who can't stand PJ and are not shy about it either. You'd feel right at home. Tongue

Poke around the site and you'll find an explantion of the new voting rules for the Academy. Then you'll know what TH is up against.

I'll join back in tonight.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.