Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit : tv spot 5
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 13 2012, 6:08am

Post #51 of 63 (445 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps it's the color grading? [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a tendency these days to color grade everything within an inch of its life so that everything tends to feel a bit unnatural. Sometimes it's done well, but it looks like we're getting a more stylized color palette this time around. In the past decade lighting was generally more lifelike and natural. I'm not a fan of the "blue for nighttime" filter in general. It really baffles me because the art team explicitly says they didn't want to use blue filters/grading in the "Art Of" books for LOTR! Yet it happened all the time in TTT.

Avnar
Rohan

Nov 13 2012, 6:12am

Post #52 of 63 (439 views)
Shortcut
I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
First off, I think the new shot of the goblins grouped together looks great. Best image of them I've seen so far.

But the troll and the warg? They look like well done paintings, or something like that, but otherwise look pretty obviously fake. In this day and age of technology I'm surprised they aren't more realistically animated. Even though I disliked the design of the wargs in TTT, I still thought they were well animated and all but real looking (or totally real in some shots). That was over ten years ago. So far none of the shots of The Hobbit's wargs look convincing, in my opinion, even the new stills released a few days ago. They don't look like living, breathing creatures.

Please tell me why I'm being unfair. But that's my impression thus far.

I can't stand cgi. It seems to be getting worse!!

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Nov 13 2012, 7:22am

Post #53 of 63 (438 views)
Shortcut
Wargs in TTT looked terrible [In reply to] Can't Post

sorry but even watching TTT 10 years ago I thought they looked awful, especially considering how great some of the other CGI effects were. I think the wargs in the recently released stills look much better and this is probably not even the finished footage yet.

Apatcha
The Shire

Nov 13 2012, 8:33am

Post #54 of 63 (390 views)
Shortcut
Archer Kili to save the day? [In reply to] Can't Post

With the wee footage of a warg attacking Dori in some forest ( maybe somewhere near Trollshaws ) and Kili firing an arrow with Bilbo's frightened face behind in very similar location, I think that those two shots come from the same scene and that it might be Kili, who saves Dori.

And talking about those CGI wargs and Trolls, I never really liked TTT wargs, but that might be wanted impression from them, yet somehow the pack seems even more terrifying and maybe better. And just take a look at that Troll's screencap on DarkJackal's excellent website. It looks much better and real than the Moria Troll. The new one just reminds me of my girlfriend's mother so much, that it must have been modeled after her picture from summer holiday.

That's what Bilbo Baggins hates!
So, carefully! Carefully with the plates!

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 13 2012, 8:46am

Post #55 of 63 (367 views)
Shortcut
As always, thank you DarkJackal :-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Snulleman
The Shire

Nov 13 2012, 11:56am

Post #56 of 63 (341 views)
Shortcut
Orcrist not glowing? [In reply to] Can't Post

Seing what has to be Thorin fighting Goblins @ 0:13 It seems that Orcrist will not be glowing
in presence of Orcs and Goblins... I understand that Glamdring won't glow in the new movies
since it wasn't in the LOTR movies but I was hoping Orcrist would, particularly since they
made the design more similar (almost making it look related) to Sting than Glamdring. I guess
they want to keep Sting unique... Bummer.

DarkJackal
Rohan

Nov 13 2012, 2:37pm

Post #57 of 63 (290 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely not glowing and he couldn't be any closer to goblins than that. Maybe it's broken. Wink.

The Hobbit Photo Gallery

(This post was edited by DarkJackal on Nov 13 2012, 2:38pm)

thomasofrohan
Lorien

Nov 13 2012, 2:44pm

Post #58 of 63 (291 views)
Shortcut
Utterly baffled by the CGI complaints [In reply to] Can't Post

I've worked with effects before and it's stunning how well-integrated into their environment the trolls are. Their level of detail and expressiveness is quite astonishing, as they move in reaction to the actors in a convincing way that I've seen from few other creatures of their kind. I'm sorry, but I simply cannot see, nor agree with, the "well-done painting" criticism...these trolls look incredibly lifelike.

WETA is one of the most accomplished digital effects artists in the world. All of these complaints about the CGI are really surprising me, because everything I've seen, from an effects artist's standpoint, look really, really good.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 13 2012, 2:57pm

Post #59 of 63 (279 views)
Shortcut
Completely agree [In reply to] Can't Post

The CGI looks great. People shouldn't be so negative based on a couple of seconds of footage.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 13 2012, 3:17pm

Post #60 of 63 (285 views)
Shortcut
Standards in effects are high these days but... [In reply to] Can't Post

... sometimes people go overboard with criticisms imho. While one can do pretty much anything nowadays effects wise, i still haven't seen one CGI heavy movie where you couldn't sometimes tell it's CGI, especially stuff like CGI creatures that resemble real animals / humans.

Bagheera
Bree

Nov 13 2012, 3:35pm

Post #61 of 63 (264 views)
Shortcut
I'm not trying to be negative [In reply to] Can't Post

Nor snobby, nor anything else. I want to love these films...and I'm sure I will.

Regarding CGI, I am simply consulting my eyes. I don't watch the trailers and tv spots looking for problems, I watch them with joy, but then there are moments when my eyes tell me, "Well that doesn't look quite right."

I'm talking about the things that jump out at me as painted, rather than as seamless flesh and blood.

I do think the CGI on the Goblins looks great in this TV spot. Gollum doesn't look half bad. I'm sure there's CGI going on through out that I would never notice...it's just the troll and the warg stand out as unreal. So says my eyes.

Enjoy the trailer for my fantasy novel:
We Kill Death

(This post was edited by Bagheera on Nov 13 2012, 3:38pm)

totoro
Lorien

Nov 14 2012, 4:00am

Post #62 of 63 (239 views)
Shortcut
I have seen less realistic-looking humans... [In reply to] Can't Post

The only reason I can tell things are CGI is because I know they do not exist IRL. I have never had a hard time using my imagination anyway. I loved the old Sinbad, for example.

Bagheera
Bree

Nov 14 2012, 5:06am

Post #63 of 63 (252 views)
Shortcut
I've never had a tough time using my imagination either... [In reply to] Can't Post

So I can't say that's really the problem/solution.

Bottom line is, there are plenty of CGI things (like those darn Goblins I keep mentioning, for instance, which do not exist IRL) that look like real, living breathing creatures. Other CGI things have struck me as unreal.

Recap: Some CGI creatures in Hobbit footage --- looks real! :)
Some CGI creatures in Hobbit footage --- looks fake. :P

Enjoy the trailer for my fantasy novel:
We Kill Death

(This post was edited by Bagheera on Nov 14 2012, 5:07am)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.