Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The first song on the soundtrack sounds rather ominous and "dwarven"

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 12 2012, 4:09am

Post #1 of 8 (895 views)
Shortcut
The first song on the soundtrack sounds rather ominous and "dwarven" Can't Post

If you got a chance to listen to the soundtrack preview, the first track "My Dear Frodo" starts off rather ominous and dark and dwarven. Indeed, one of the tunes in this opening bit of music is identical to a later tune in a track called "The Dwarf Lords." This leads me to believe that the film will open either with a flashback to Erebor, or something else centered on Thorin and the dwarves (Gandalf's meeting with Thorin, Thorin's travels to collect the dwarves, hardship in Ered Luin, who knows?). My Fear Frodo leads me to believe that it will be narrated by Bilbo. Track 2 is "Old friends" which seems likely to feature Bilbo and Frodo (and indeed, the Shire theme features heavily here), with Bilbo finishing up his tale of the dwarves, and Frodo running off to see Gandalf.

So:

Opening: Dwarf prologue
Scene 2: Bilbo finishes up the story with Frodo, who then runs off. Then Bilbo lapses into his memory of the adventure, and acknowledges that he has kept the full truth secret from Frodo (cue "I may not have told you all of it" from the trailer)

Am I reading too much into this tune? Does anyone else have other ideas as to what this music might accompany?

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Nov 12 2012, 4:15am)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 12 2012, 4:20am

Post #2 of 8 (401 views)
Shortcut
"Old Friends" probably refers to Bilbo and Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

And so that track will likely play during the "good morning!" encounter.

The Grey Pilgrim
Lorien

Nov 12 2012, 5:16am

Post #3 of 8 (367 views)
Shortcut
I think that is a good theory. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's still anyone's guess though, which is kinda nice!

Have you gotten to hear the amazon 30 second previews? I am trying not to listen to many but I spoiled myself on some and they sometimes fall in slightly different places then the 60sec versions. The segment of my Dear Frodo on that preview has a bit of the shire theme

(This post was edited by The Grey Pilgrim on Nov 12 2012, 5:17am)

grinman
Rivendell

Nov 12 2012, 5:19am

Post #4 of 8 (358 views)
Shortcut
I don't think.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... you're reading too much into it. I think you're nearly spot-on. I think we may be getting a prologue similar to LOTR. It would be an exciting way to bring the audience right back into the midst of Middle Earth. It will also create an excellent parallel to the LOTR trilogy.

Also, in the bonus track, did you notice during "A Very Respectable Hobbit" that the music took a very odd, almost dwarven turn towards the end? Here's my theory: There's a picture I've seen of Bilbo standing on (what appears to be) the Bywater Bridge looking back with an almost concerned/curious look on his face. He's wearing his blue jacket... the one he wears to market according to the vlogs and such. I think that this scene takes place after Gandalf's invitation and before the Dwarves arrive (probably that night, instead of the next day). Anyways, I think that Bilbo may be seeing one (or a few) of the dwarves arriving in Hobbiton... not knowing who/what they are or why they're there. Thus, the turn in music from the happy hobbity stuff to the more dwarvish sounding (but still lighter) motif.

What say you?

whitetree
The Shire

Nov 12 2012, 7:18am

Post #5 of 8 (311 views)
Shortcut
Well, since it's called "My Dear Frodo"... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and we know Bilbo is going to tell the story, it makes perfect sense that he will bring up the dwarves, and it also makes sense then to start bringing in the music associated with the dwarves.

This first part may not be the whole backstory - maybe PJ will have the dwarves themselves tell huge chunks of it as the story goes on? But then we will hear that music again and link it to what we heard before.

I think you're right, there will be something about the dwarves there, and there is quite a bit of exposition to be done. Maybe it will be a proper Prologue.

It's just that since the music cue is called "My Dear Frodo" - that makes me think it may be Bilbo talking to Frodo, getting his story started, and then we will flash back to the "Good Morning" conversation with Gandalf, and the more complete backstory of the dwarves will come a little later, maybe when "The Dwarf Lords" comes around?

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 12 2012, 8:36am

Post #6 of 8 (259 views)
Shortcut
Old Friends [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the track title "Old Friends" only makes sense if the prologue shows Gandalf and Bilbo meeting way before the Quest.

Since I haven't listened to either track, I'm speculating that the prologue will cover both Dwarven events, and the meeting of Gandalf and Bilbo - probably narrated by Old Bilbo to Frodo.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 12 2012, 8:49am

Post #7 of 8 (250 views)
Shortcut
That was my impression upon first hearing it also... [In reply to] Can't Post

We know there is going to be a prologue of sorts from a quote by Jackson in the latest EMPIRE regardiing our first fleeting glimpse of Smaug coming in the first film "most likely in the prologue..." and certainly the opening of "Dear Frodo" has the sort of ominous tones that I would associate with the opening sequence of a film - even under the opening credits perhaps as the three logos pop up?

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

ForestPark
Rivendell

Nov 12 2012, 8:06pm

Post #8 of 8 (139 views)
Shortcut
Dwarven chorus sings Spoiler Alert [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it is from that Split Endz guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whnn9ReUV04

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.