A recent trend!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2012, 4:33am

Post #26 of 39 (383 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

and god forbid if you don't like something you see and have concerns Angelic... How dare that happen? Crazy WinkWink

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 11 2012, 6:51am

Post #27 of 39 (373 views)
Shortcut
I don't think that's quite it [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no opinion of the film until it comes out

I don't think anyone here has *no* opinion on the film until it comes out. That really *would* defeat the purpose of a discussion board, no less that of having a pulse, lol. Rather, I think the attitude of many people here is:
"I'll reserve final judgment on the film until it comes out."

I agree wholeheartedly that there's a difference between "nitpicking" and genuine, logical observation/disagreement. To me, nitpicking starts with:

- drawing con
clusions based on miniscule tidbits of information, then panicking that said miniscule tidbits are going to ruin the entire film

- insisting that, just because PJ is involved, it's going to ruin the entire film

- comp
laining that if the film "doesn't follow the book" it's going to ruin the entire film

More importantly, 'nitpicking' is
n't just expressing one or two of the above observations/beliefs every now and then. Nitpicking is when someone consistently (not 100% of the time, but consistently) insists that just about everything they see is going to ruin the film, then repeats that theme, in various ways, over and over and over. Doesn't that kind of endless repetition also defeat the purpose of a discussion board? I think it does, (which is why it was incorporated in the ToS via the sticky at the top of the board).

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Nov 11 2012, 6:57am)

jtarkey
Rohan

Nov 11 2012, 7:02am

Post #28 of 39 (380 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of trends... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it should be obligatory for everyone to state whether or not they have been drinking at the beginning of their posts. This way, we can easily shrug off highly opinionated and argumentative individuals.

Although I had been drinking at the time, I'm more a fan of the Old Toby if ya know what I mean Wink (wohoo Colorado and Washington!)

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Nov 12 2012, 2:00am

Post #29 of 39 (357 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien purist...occasional drinker [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been a Tolkien fan for over 40 years (well before any of the movies were made!), and love Tolkien's writing style. Every sentence, even every word was written with obvious care. I tend to chide my friends who have never read the Hobbit or LOTR, but have seen the movies and find the books "boring" or "too long". I think it's a shame that they would shun the books because the movies are so bright and shiny and appealing and fast-paced.

That being said, I rejoiced with every movie that did come out!! I enjoyed firstly, and then nit-picked later. But even with the well-deserved picking of nits (I won't list the nits here), I still loved every movie. I have them all and watch them frequently. This includes the Rankin-Bass and Bakshi versions, as well as PJ's adaptations. And that's what they all are: adaptations. Wonderful things have been done, even within the limitations of time and budgets. And they have brought the world of Middle-Earth to those who, for whatever various reasons, may never have experienced it otherwise.

In that tone, I am very much looking forward to the Hobbit movies. I assume changes have been made to make the movie(s) fit within a time-frame and for that bright shiny appealy quality, but it still will be the Hobbit.

Time for a drink.

Frito groaned. "I wish I had never been born," he said.

"Do not say that, dear Frito," cried Orlon. "It was a happy minute for us all when you were born."

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 12 2012, 2:12am

Post #30 of 39 (322 views)
Shortcut
As a fan of Tolkien, and good film [In reply to] Can't Post

The way I see it, the books are the Pyramids at Giza, while the films are the Luxor Hotel at Las Vegas.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 12 2012, 2:15am

Post #31 of 39 (314 views)
Shortcut
Good analogy SA. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Nov 12 2012, 2:17am

Post #32 of 39 (338 views)
Shortcut
Perfectly stated! [In reply to] Can't Post

As an archaeologist, I can relate!!

"Do not say that, dear Frito," cried Orlon. "It was a happy minute for us all when you were born."

Elessar
Valinor

Nov 12 2012, 2:56am

Post #33 of 39 (317 views)
Shortcut
Haven't had a drop but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree. I love Tolkien and think his work is simply off the charts good. He does have bumps in the road Tom Bombadil but I look forward to my yearly reading of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings as much as anything during the year. For me Jackson captured the magic of the books and I think made as much magic as the books (He was given great material to work with). Obviously for some that isn't the case but that's their problem not mine.

I agree with Magpie though that I think some complain because they enjoy it and nitpick because they enjoy it. I don't get that mind set but to each their own.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 12 2012, 4:02am

Post #34 of 39 (348 views)
Shortcut
Altaria,once more the Voice of reason.. [In reply to] Can't Post

You Magpie gramma..Carnie.. Silverlode etc..

Keep Bomby sane during this.
" Ramp Up" towards
a wish come True.

"WHEN you wish on "the Evenstar"
Dreams come true".
Bomby

(Save a seat on your shoulder for Goldberry
She'll be there
with All of you?)

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Nov 12 2012, 4:06am)

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 12 2012, 8:04am

Post #35 of 39 (310 views)
Shortcut
You mean [In reply to] Can't Post

Three very large piles of rock in a grotty suburb of Cairo that don't do anything other than sit there whilst people invent far-fetched theories about them;

as opposed to somewhere where many people go to have lots of fun, that also makes an excellent profit?

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Nov 12 2012, 5:36pm

Post #36 of 39 (278 views)
Shortcut
Yes but [In reply to] Can't Post

very impressive piles of rock!! With lots of history and...well yes.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 12 2012, 10:33pm

Post #37 of 39 (270 views)
Shortcut
Precisely [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Also, they are generally representations of the same thing. But one has far more beauty than the other.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Nov 13 2012, 2:39am

Post #38 of 39 (285 views)
Shortcut
If I am to understand, [In reply to] Can't Post

the difference between stately and impressive versus gaudy and vulgar.

Wink

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 13 2012, 8:16am

Post #39 of 39 (324 views)
Shortcut
No really [In reply to] Can't Post

The pyramids of Giza are representations of mountains/the rays of the Sun/the Pharaoh's manhood. The other is a representation of somewhere to go to part with your money.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.