Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What sculpture will oversee The Hobbit premier in Wellington?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 10 2012, 3:56am

Post #1 of 18 (642 views)
Shortcut
What sculpture will oversee The Hobbit premier in Wellington? Can't Post

A snippet from the stuff.co.nz story:

A sculpture to mark The Hobbit premiere will be hoisted onto Wellington's Embassy Theatre from tomorrow, but exactly what will peer over the red carpet remains a closely guarded secret.
The installation has been created by director Sir Peter Jackson's art department and will take two days to lift on to the theatre's roof, depending on the weather.
But Sir Peter's spokesman Matt Dravitzki is giving no clues about what will adorn the theatre's roof or when it would be revealed.
"It's become a bit of a tradition, certainly around the Tolkien films, for there to be an installation on the Embassy, and this will be no exception.''

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Flame of Udun
Rivendell

Nov 10 2012, 5:23am

Post #2 of 18 (389 views)
Shortcut
Possible candidates IMO [In reply to] Can't Post

Based on what we know will be in AUJ, hear are what I believe are the possible options:

Bert, Tom, or William: Or all three? This one is most likely in my opinion as it's such an iconic scene in the book. Who knows? Maybe the comic-con sculptures were just a sneak peak as to what is coming :)

Smeagol: I highly doubt this one because 1) They have put him up there before and 2) They have a sculpture of Gollum in the NZ airport.

Goblin King: A huge sculpture of that disgusting thing? Doubt that would look cool in the middle of Wellington... but hey it's WETA and I wouldn't be surprised if they successfully pull it off. However, I don't think they will bother.

Stone Giant: Now THAT would be cool! Just like in the TV spot where the stone giant peers over the ledge.

Warg (With or without a rider): In light of the two recently released photos of the new wargs (or trailer stills as some claim Smile ), I think a warg would look absolutely phenominal on top of the Embassy.

Smaug In All His Magnificence: Not a chance

"'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand. What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.''

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 10 2012, 8:06am

Post #3 of 18 (314 views)
Shortcut
An eagle! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a site that would be.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 10 2012, 8:08am

Post #4 of 18 (315 views)
Shortcut
I like the idea of a stone giant [In reply to] Can't Post

I think though, that in the films, they will keep them obscure - ie not fully showing their features.

That will add to the "are they real or not" debate quite nicely.

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Nov 10 2012, 10:29am

Post #5 of 18 (300 views)
Shortcut
An eagle would be great [In reply to] Can't Post

but I could also live with the Goblin king.

Bert and co. were already at comic con.

BlackCountry
Rivendell

Nov 10 2012, 10:59am

Post #6 of 18 (285 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps.... [In reply to] Can't Post

They'll jump the gun and unveil Smaug or Beorn instead!!! :p

I do not want what it is not mine.... I only want what comes from within....

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 10 2012, 1:45pm

Post #7 of 18 (238 views)
Shortcut
Trolls but Holding Bilbo upside Down.../// [In reply to] Can't Post

Azaghâl
Lorien

Nov 10 2012, 3:30pm

Post #8 of 18 (237 views)
Shortcut
A talking purse? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or maybe just a big fat Bombur.

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 10 2012, 6:10pm

Post #9 of 18 (208 views)
Shortcut
As long as he's not sitting on his [In reply to] Can't Post

loo throne. That might not get past the health laws ...

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 6:52pm

Post #10 of 18 (204 views)
Shortcut
That will be a little difficult [In reply to] Can't Post

Since the company will be standing on top of one, when it starts to walk. If that's the case, the question: are they real? can only yield a "yes."

Lausus
Bree

Nov 10 2012, 8:21pm

Post #11 of 18 (184 views)
Shortcut
THAT IS THE QUESTION! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't wait to find out. I think the three trolls are the most likely. What did they do for the trilogy? Cave Troll, Gollum, and a Fell Beast right? So trolls has been done, that's the only reason they might not do Bert, Will, and Tom. It's got to be a creature, though, right? I don't think it will be a Warg. My second guess would be Goblin King. Stone Giant would be cool, but I don't think the giants will play a big enough role to rate that kind of treatment. I can't wait to find out!

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 10 2012, 10:35pm

Post #12 of 18 (168 views)
Shortcut
The White Horses weren't real, but still look like horses / [In reply to] Can't Post

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 10 2012, 10:43pm

Post #13 of 18 (202 views)
Shortcut
I don't think PJ will be able to resist a ginormous Goblin King statue... [In reply to] Can't Post

...though I'd prefer the Lord of the Eagles, myself!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 10 2012, 10:52pm

Post #14 of 18 (165 views)
Shortcut
This probably needs more explaining [In reply to] Can't Post

What I was trying to get at is that things that appear real, aren't always real in Middle-earth. One example being the White Horses of Loudwater.

The Stone Giants could still be a natural phenomenon (a metaphor) if the Company never fully see what they are. Yes, they are physical, but why exactly are they? Obscuring them could be a way of keeping the debate alive in the film.

Clutching straws?

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 10 2012, 11:50pm

Post #15 of 18 (189 views)
Shortcut
Debate about interpretation should be encouraged [In reply to] Can't Post

There's nothing I dislike more than an author or his/her fans saying this is How It's Supposed to Be. If I were an author I'd love for fans to take what I had written and come up with new things about it. Whether it's the existence of stone giants or the idea that sailing to Valinor is a symbol for death, debate is a healthy thing.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 11 2012, 1:54am

Post #16 of 18 (150 views)
Shortcut
My point is that they cannot be well-obscured [In reply to] Can't Post

If the dwarves walk on top of them, and are then endangered when the giant gets up and walks!

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Nov 11 2012, 1:54am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 11 2012, 9:05am

Post #17 of 18 (103 views)
Shortcut
It looks like they only walk across their legs [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant keeping their facial features obscured.

Moahunter
Rohan

Nov 12 2012, 3:19am

Post #18 of 18 (123 views)
Shortcut
Nothing showing yet. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was in Courtenay Place this morning and there is no sign of any construction except for a long horizontal piece of scaffolding halfway up the front facade the width of the entrance doors.
Of course that may have been there for some time and I never noticed it before.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.