Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
"The Hunt For Gollum" - New LOTR Film Teaser

Hunt4Gollum
The Shire

Nov 9 2007, 2:02pm

Post #1 of 22 (1246 views)
Shortcut
"The Hunt For Gollum" - New LOTR Film Teaser Can't Post

Dear TORNers,

It is with great pride that I would like to announce our brand now LOTR fan film The Hunt For Gollum which has now started production. This will be a serious and epic scale short film where we faithfully recreate Middle Earth to tell a new chapter in the story. We are aiming for only the highest quality of film-making and have released the pictures below and a brand new trailer from our recent shoot in North Wales to give you a taste of what is to come.

The Hunt for Gollum takes place before the trilogy and after The Hobbit. It features a young Strider as he sets out on a journey to find Gollum before he get's caught by Sauron. It also explores his doubt and trials as he glimpses the future that might be.

We are a group of independent film-makers in the UK making professional quality films. As a director, I am an enormous fan of the books and have read them many times over. This is my opportunity to both pay tribute to Peter Jackson's adaptation but also to faithfully bring more of Tolkien's world to the screen. It's the sense of scale and the history of Middle Earth that I really want to show, and I believe we have the team capable of doing so with very high production values, acting, directing, cinematography and an original score inspired by Howard Shore.

TRAILER LINKS: Hunt For Gollum Teaser 1

We hope you enjoy the teaser trailer about and always welcome comments and thoughts to help us make this film a fitting tribute to Tolkien's works. We're particularly keen for any input, suggestions or feedback from avid LOTR fans to help us shape this into a truly cinematic tale.

Chris Bouchard
Project Director & Producer.
The Hunt For Gollum - A New Chapter in The Lord Of The Rings
Produced in Collaboration with Born of Hope. (www.bornofhope.com)
www.hunt4gollum.blogspot.com

The Hunt For Gollum is not affiliated with New Line Cinema, Peter Jackson or the Tolkien Estate. The film-makers are making this purely for non commercial and education purposes and will not be profitting from the production which will be released online for free download.

THE HUNT FOR GOLLUM
An epic cinematic and professional Lord Of The Rings Fan Film.

ChrisCR
The Shire

Nov 9 2007, 7:03pm

Post #2 of 22 (527 views)
Shortcut
Nice. [In reply to] Can't Post

Awesome.....Cant wait for more info and clips..

Chris
www.cinemareplicas.com

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 9 2007, 7:27pm

Post #3 of 22 (572 views)
Shortcut
Just out of interest, [In reply to] Can't Post

how are you managing to make this with characters created by Tolkien when the intellectual property rights are held elsewhere?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

frodolives
Lorien

Nov 10 2007, 12:15am

Post #4 of 22 (517 views)
Shortcut
Lots of questions [In reply to] Can't Post

Really terrific stuff! I'm a professional videographer & editor and would be interested in knowing what you're shooting this on. 24p video? Also, is this shot in the Lake District? Some shots look like it.

When do you hope to have this finished and how will it be distributed? What is your goal for the final length? How will you realize Gollum?

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Nov 10 2007, 1:15am

Post #5 of 22 (516 views)
Shortcut
How young is Aragorn? [In reply to] Can't Post

In the book, he is 70 when he begins to help Gandalf search for Gollum.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Nov. 5-11 for "Three Is Company".

Hunt4Gollum
The Shire

Nov 10 2007, 2:30pm

Post #6 of 22 (529 views)
Shortcut
Questions and Answers [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for checking out The Hunt For Gollum, here's some answers

how are you managing to make this with characters created by Tolkien when the intellectual property rights are held elsewhere?
A very fair point. Of course we do not want to be in breach of legal copyright. If we were selling the finished film then this would indeed be a breach of rights, but we are not. We are a non-commercial entity and the film is entirely non-profit to be released for free to the internet. It's funded by ourselves. We're making this film because we love the material and as a way to reach out to an audience as independent film-makers. If the copyright owners do try to shut us down, we will explain that legally speaking, we are only a bunch of fans practicing our film-making skills, who happen to also put the results on the internet. At the end of the day we have no intention to profit financially from the work of Tolkien or Wingnut films.

What are you shooting on?

We're shooting this very low budget, on Sony FX1 HDV cameras at 50i. However we've got a few tricks to make it look really filmic and high budget, including steadicam and lens adapters.

Is this shot in the Lake District? Some shots look like it.

No, but not far away, it's shot in south Snowdonia (North Wales). We spent a weekend shooting out there last month. Most of the trailer was shot at a Mountain called Cader Idris on the Minneford Trail. It's incredibly beautiful, and the mountatins are only a tiny bit smaller than NZ!

When do you hope to have this finished and how will it be distributed?

Low budget films can take a while and this will take a year or so to finish. It will be released online for free when it's done.

What is your goal for the final length?
It's looking like around 20 minutes at the moment but could well be more.

How will you realize Gollum?
This, I cannot give away just yet. However I can say that Gollum will be making an appearance in the movie and we have a trick up our sleeves to bring him back to life in a style faithful to Weta's creation.

How young is Aragorn?
Good question N.E. In the book Gandalf and Aragorn do begin searching for Gollum around 8 years before the start of the Fellowship of The Ring. However Gandalf has been suspicious for some time. In The Hunt For Gollum, Aragorn will look a few years younger than he does in Peter Jackson's films and we will show the passing of several years in the film.

cheers :)
C

THE HUNT FOR GOLLUM

SureCavanaugh
The Shire

Nov 10 2007, 5:45pm

Post #7 of 22 (487 views)
Shortcut
Who [In reply to] Can't Post

will be acting in it? I assume you'll have your own actors portraying the characters and not just using clips and editing them to fit what you need.

Rivendweller
Lorien

Nov 10 2007, 11:46pm

Post #8 of 22 (490 views)
Shortcut
I really like this [In reply to] Can't Post

You've done a really really nice job so far! You've been successful in capturing the scope of Aragorns travels through your use of water and mountain images. well done! Will you be casting a Gandalf and show him questioning Gollum, Aragorn capturing him , and leaving him with King Thranduil and the care of the elves?

I'm intrigued now. More Lord of the Rings can only be a good thing. I wish you much success with this project !

Whether because Frodo was so worn by his long pains, wound of knife, and venomous sting, and sorrow, fear, and homeless wandering, or because some gift of final strength was given to him, Sam lifted Frodo with no more difficulty than if he were carrying a hobbit child pig-a-back....
Frodo opened his eyes and drew a breath....'Thank you, Sam,' he said in a cracked whisper. 'How far is there to go?' --RotK, "Mount Doom"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Formerly A'amel from days gone by.

Hunt4Gollum
The Shire

Nov 11 2007, 12:19am

Post #9 of 22 (462 views)
Shortcut
hints [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the kind comments Rivendweller and SureCavanaugh

We do have an experienced cast of our own so won't be using any shots from the films. There's glimpses of our lead actor in the teaser and we'll soon finish a new trailer to properly introduce him, so I hope you don't mind if we save up his name until then. :)

Gandalf will be making an appearance. Whether he questions Gollum at the end remains to be decided. It would be very exciting to bring the Halls of Thranduil to the screen. More LOTR a good thing!? Absolutely.

THE HUNT FOR GOLLUM

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 11 2007, 12:42am

Post #10 of 22 (504 views)
Shortcut
Have You Gotten Competent Legal Advice? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

A very fair point. Of course we do not want to be in breach of legal copyright. If we were selling the finished film then this would indeed be a breach of rights, but we are not. We are a non-commercial entity and the film is entirely non-profit to be released for free to the internet. It's funded by ourselves. We're making this film because we love the material and as a way to reach out to an audience as independent film-makers. If the copyright owners do try to shut us down, we will explain that legally speaking, we are only a bunch of fans practicing our film-making skills, who happen to also put the results on the internet. At the end of the day we have no intention to profit financially from the work of Tolkien or Wingnut films.

I am not an intellectual property attorney, but I do know something about copyright law, and I suspect that you are not on very solid legal ground. Even if you are not planning to profit from your work, a strong argument could be made that it could interfere with the profits of those who do own the film rights to this material. I would strongly suggest that you get competent legal advice, if you have not already done so.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

frodolives
Lorien

Nov 11 2007, 4:54am

Post #11 of 22 (468 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it's much to worry about [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I am not an intellectual property attorney, but I do know something about copyright law, and I suspect that you are not on very solid legal ground. Even if you are not planning to profit from your work, a strong argument could be made that it could interfere with the profits of those who do own the film rights to this material. I would strongly suggest that you get competent legal advice, if you have not already done so.

There are quite a number of fan made LOTR films out there (and fanfic, RPGs, etc) and, to my knowledge, none have been prosecuted. I'm not saying it's strictly legal, but by the same token this type of thing is actually helpful in keeping LOTR in the mindset of a few people at least, something New Line wants.

Hunt4Gollum
The Shire

Nov 11 2007, 11:56am

Post #12 of 22 (475 views)
Shortcut
legal advice [In reply to] Can't Post

We haven't got legal advice as such, but it would be sensible to do so at some point. I agree with Frodolives however, this film will hopefully reach out to a few fans and help keep LOTR alive. I don't think a bunch of nobodies putting some video online will be seen as a serious threat. New Line are far more worried about the millions of pirate DVDs being downloaded illegally which certainly does interfere with profits!

We're just a bunch of nobodies trying to live our dreams and create something we believe in. If they decide to shut us down, then it would be a shame for all the creative effort put in by the cast and crew. Then again, if they see us as that serious a threat it would actually be flattering, of course we'd much rather finish what we've started. We'll see if anything arises...

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE HUNT FOR GOLLUM
A cinematic new chapter in The Lord Of The Rings. A Fan Film.
http://www.hunt4gollum.blogspot.com

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 11 2007, 2:53pm

Post #13 of 22 (436 views)
Shortcut
I Hope You Are Right [In reply to] Can't Post

Your work strikes me as more professional and generally a step above most of the fan videos that I have seen, and it may strike New Line that way as well (if it even comes to their attention; I'm certainly not going to tell them).

I did like the trailer very much, by the way.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

Patty
Immortal

Nov 11 2007, 8:51pm

Post #14 of 22 (415 views)
Shortcut
I really hope you have no problems... [In reply to] Can't Post

this trailer is fantastic (as is the BornofHope one) and I'd hate to see them stopped.

For Gondor!

Hunt4Gollum
The Shire

Nov 12 2007, 10:41pm

Post #15 of 22 (402 views)
Shortcut
Born of Hope [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Voronwe, we are trying to push the production values as high as possible for low budget techniques. Middle Earth just has to be cinematic in scope. ps: thanks for not telling the lawyers! Keep it secret, keep it safe...

Thanks Patty, we're collaborating with our sister production Born of Hope very closely, sharing some of the same costumes, props, stuntmen and some of the same crew. I for one am excited about what they're doing, it's ambitious and inspiring. Last week I attended one of their fight team training sessions which has a video viewable on their site. It was amazing!

In Reply To
this trailer is fantastic (as is the BornofHope one) and I'd hate to see them stopped.

Tom Bombadilly

Jan 4 2008, 8:24pm

Post #16 of 22 (418 views)
Shortcut
I'm New on Here...But...I just saw this. [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw this on Youtube and wanted to share it with other fans.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zl7S39vcgY

Shocked What do you think of that?

(This post was edited by Tom Bombadilly on Jan 4 2008, 8:29pm)

gracie
Bree

Jan 6 2008, 5:59am

Post #17 of 22 (320 views)
Shortcut
Trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there, Rigan here. Your trailer was excellent! Well done, the score is beautiful as well! Do you have any more trailers?
Send me a link to your web site.

regards: RiganSmile

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Jan 6 2008, 6:37pm

Post #18 of 22 (324 views)
Shortcut
Wow!! [In reply to] Can't Post

To use a corny California phrase, that was "effin" awesome!! Your film trailer is VERY professional-looking, just excellent! It is clear that every frame represents much love for the material and effort and commitment, as well as amazing talent!
I truly hope you are able to complete and share your fan-film without any hassles from the Tolkien Estate or from New Line, I would very much like to see something so well-done taken to completion!!
Its hard for me to understand why the TE and NL are being so strict, when George Lucas actively encourages fans to make fan-films of his "Star Wars" property. Lucas even assisted Mel Brooks' big-commercial-production parody of his film, "Space Balls", for pete's sake!
It just seems un-American (to me) to prevent fans from honoring Tolkien's masterwork, and paying homage to the wonderful film trilogy with their own freely-given fan art, fan writings, and fan films. I'm in that boat with you; I like to do fan art and share it freely on the Internet, but I'm always worried that it will wind up being used commercially by someone else, but I'll get the blame.
Oh well.
Anyway, again, your trailer is a pure joy to watch, and I got goose-bumps because it seems so true-to (film)-life! Keep going, I eagerly await the results!
-ML,
aka D/p

"I am in fact a hobbit in all but size." - J.R.R.Tolkien

Neelis
The Shire

Jan 8 2008, 11:40am

Post #19 of 22 (300 views)
Shortcut
A "bunch of nobodies?" I'd like to argue that! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a beautiful trailer! It really breaths that Middle Earth feeling that we got from the original movies! It looks fantastic, I really hope to see more soon. And indeed, like everyone else I hope you won't get in legal trouble, but I don't think you really will be (though I'm not a legal councelor, of course), but just to be sure you could get some advice on this issue.

But keep up the good work, fantastic stuff! Is there going to be a teaser poster soon? Smile

Hunt4Gollum
The Shire

Feb 1 2008, 4:46pm

Post #20 of 22 (281 views)
Shortcut
The Hunt For Gollum website launched [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Torners, just to let you know we've launched our website for fan film: The Hunt For Gollum.
If you wish to visit, you will find much information and imagery. You may do so at:

www.hunt4gollum.com

There's a few more pics from recent shoots appearing there, plus more info on the movie, the crew and the release dates. We should finish shooting this summer.
Thanks for watching, and thanks for the comments.

Hunt4Gollum
The Shire

Jul 29 2008, 4:01pm

Post #21 of 22 (203 views)
Shortcut
Teaser 2 - Released [In reply to] Can't Post

NEW TEASER TRAILER!

Hi TORNers,

I would like to announce our brand new teaser trailer for The Hunt For Gollum!

Here is a link to the new teaser:
Since our last post the project has grown in scale and ambition much further. You can see some of the work in progress on our blog and website. Thanks, and feel free to check out more info about the film on our website: www.thehuntforgollum.com

We intend to release free to the internet in December this year.

Patty
Immortal

Jul 29 2008, 4:04pm

Post #22 of 22 (518 views)
Shortcut
Wow, thanks! That's why I couldn't find it on the search engine... [In reply to] Can't Post

I misremembered and looked for Search for Gollum.

Repost this. It's fallen of the front page, and many will miss it. Oh heck, I'll do it.

Hanging out with the Lonely Isle elves.

(This post was edited by Patty on Jul 29 2008, 4:05pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.