The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
IMAX 3D - HFR?

chazychris
The Shire

Nov 9 2012, 7:05pm

Post #1 of 10 (560 views)
Shortcut
IMAX 3D - HFR? Can't Post

Hi there -- does anyone know if the versions showing in IMAX 3D are going to be projected at 48 FPS? I cannot seem to find that information anywhere . . .

Owain
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 7:16pm

Post #2 of 10 (360 views)
Shortcut
Here is the release on HFR 3D from Warner Bros. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://regmovies.com/..._Letter_FAQ_FIN.ashx

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 7:18pm

Post #3 of 10 (344 views)
Shortcut
If the IMAX has a digital projector then it's possible. [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as i know, the "true" IMAX 70mm film projectors cant show HFR. You gotta ask the theater. Wink

Owain
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 7:18pm

Post #4 of 10 (326 views)
Shortcut
And yes to your question... [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is a link from Fandango that shows IMAX HFR 3D as an option.

http://www.fandango.com/...160261/movieoverview

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

(This post was edited by Owain on Nov 9 2012, 7:19pm)

chazychris
The Shire

Nov 9 2012, 7:28pm

Post #5 of 10 (308 views)
Shortcut
Alright -- Thank You [In reply to] Can't Post

O.K. It would appear then that HFR IMAX is the rarest of the formats -- I am unable to even find a theater in Manhattan showing it in that format. Evidently I purchased a ticket for IMAX 3D, but not HFR. I suppose I'll just go again the following day and see a HFR version on a regular sized screen (it's like not I wasn't going to see it multiple times anyway -- although it is slightly disappointing my first viewing won't be in 48 FPS . . .)

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Nov 9 2012, 9:50pm

Post #6 of 10 (250 views)
Shortcut
I was worried about this [In reply to] Can't Post

so I got HFR 3D, I'm pretty sure the same theatre, where I see all my imax films in LA, has HFR IMAX 3D, but I'll make that a priority for my second viewing when I know for certain.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Lausus
Bree

Nov 10 2012, 8:55pm

Post #7 of 10 (173 views)
Shortcut
I got HFR 3D for the midnight showing [In reply to] Can't Post

...and now I'm afraid if I love HFR, I'm going to be disappointed by any subsequent showing in less. My wife and I are intending to see the movie in every format combination possible while it's in theaters if all factors (including cash) work in our favor.

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Nov 10 2012, 9:45pm

Post #8 of 10 (172 views)
Shortcut
This is the IMAX 3D HFR listing from...you guessed it! [In reply to] Can't Post

IMAX!

There are a few, but not many.

http://www.imax.com/...elect-imax-theatres/

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

anuhealani

Nov 10 2012, 9:47pm

Post #9 of 10 (181 views)
Shortcut
What you suggest is true of my local theater, anyway [In reply to] Can't Post

This is at least true of the only genuine IMAX theater in NYC (AMC Lincoln Square). All of their other screens are showing the film in HFR 3D, but not their IMAX theater.

There are several fake IMAX theaters in the city selling what they call IMAX HFR 3D.

(This post was edited by anuhealani on Nov 10 2012, 9:54pm)

anuhealani

Nov 10 2012, 9:52pm

Post #10 of 10 (202 views)
Shortcut
"IMAX" 3D HFR on 34th St. [In reply to] Can't Post

The AMC on 34th St. is selling what they call IMAX 3D HFR, just be advised that it's not true IMAX you're seeing at that location.

AMC Lincoln Square is the only real IMAX theater in NYC, and they can't show HFR on that screen--I called them to make sure.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.