Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hobbit Tickets soar to #1.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

The Grey Pilgrim
Lorien

Nov 9 2012, 6:41pm

Post #26 of 49 (372 views)
Shortcut
US box office Adjusted for Inflation [In reply to] Can't Post

for inflation taken into account, these are the figures according to boxofficemojo.com for the trilogy.

ROTK: #52 All time $489,419,200
TTT: #62 All time $458,338,700
FOTR: #77 all time $435,106,300

no idea about Worldwide adjusted sales though Unsure

(This post was edited by The Grey Pilgrim on Nov 9 2012, 6:42pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 6:44pm

Post #27 of 49 (363 views)
Shortcut
It's an argument that can be made but... [In reply to] Can't Post

One could also argue that LOTR is a classic, that people haven't forgotten LOTR and young kids that weren't old enough when LOTR came out might have checked it out on DVD and loved it, so you have the old generation plus the new generation. Similar to Star Wars.

Now i agree that Hobbit is not as mainstream friendly as LOTR, featuring, like you said, 13 dwarves, an old geezer and a hobbit. No handsome men and no elf (okay, they tried to make some dwarves pretty hot Smile), at least in AUJ. Some of that could be offset by a more family friendly appeal, though. I don't thing it'll sell as many tickets as LOTR but it doesn't need to to beat Avengers.

p.s.
Don't lump Transformers with Hunger Games. I liked Hunger Games. Wink

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 7:02pm

Post #28 of 49 (344 views)
Shortcut
$ 1 billion isn't that special as it used to be [In reply to] Can't Post

Remember when RotK broke the magical 1 billion counter? Yeah, it was awesome. Now, it AUJ doesn't do the same, I'll feel somewhat dissapointed.

(The expectations for movies these days are utterly ridicilous. Some people were even talking about the Dark Knight Rises as a flop, while it was on it's way to exceed 1 billion. How can you make art with such burden on your shoulders? Nothing's enough.)

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 7:03pm

Post #29 of 49 (356 views)
Shortcut
It's pretty much impossible to get adjusted numbers for international grosses. [In reply to] Can't Post

One would have to take every country, adjust the local currency and convert back to dollars.

What i would do and i know it might not be most accurate is adjusting the US dollar figure, same as with the domestic gross. So for example ROTK's North American gross ($377m), as The Grey Pilgrim already posted, adjusts to about $490m today, that's a plus of 30%. Adding 30% to the international gross ($742m) gets you $964m. But then you also have to account for higher 3D prices plus emerging foreign markets like China or Russia but also some other markets, that weren't big when LOTR came out. Especially China is a pretty huge market today, with the biggest movies grossing $100m and in some rare cases even $150m. ROTK made only $10m in China.

easterlingchief1
Rivendell

Nov 9 2012, 7:12pm

Post #30 of 49 (329 views)
Shortcut
For what it's worth [In reply to] Can't Post

I also forgot to include China in my little spiel there. The folks in the People's Republic eats up 3D films, so The Hobbit should do bofo box office in Asia.

Still, I get the distinct feeling that Ringers are putting too much stock in what is ultimately a bad way to evaluate the films. At the end of the year, assuming the Hobbit doesn't crack the top 5 box office grosses of 2012, I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed for all the wrong reasons. The day mature, sound-minded fans start to appreciate a film's ticket sales more than the artistry and craftsmanship put into it will be a very, very sad day.

Maybe I'm just being hyperbolic. I want the films to be successful, I really do. But when I hear that tickets are already selling like crazy, I'm thinking of how many people (especially young kids) will be getting the chance to see these and appreciate these films in theaters. Not to sound holier-than-thou, but that's more important to me as a fan than the millions it'll rake in opening weekend.

Whoo! That was a lot, even for me. Sorry about that, Estel78. Thanks for enduring my rant.

P.S.

I wasn't dumping on The Hunger Games. I just needed an example of something that's uber popular right now and that was the first thing that came to mind. On reflection, I should have lumped Transformers in with Twilight, but I already took a crack at that hulking, glittering monstrosity of celluloid this morning. Don't want to get repetitive in my old age Wink

imin
Valinor

Nov 9 2012, 7:23pm

Post #31 of 49 (328 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure [In reply to] Can't Post

I dont think people are putting a greater emphasis on box office figures than if they like it or not.

First and foremost it has to be a good film in the individuals eyes. For me personally the most important thing is to like the film. If i do like the film, then it is also nice to know loads of other people went to see it and hopefully liked it as well. BO is just harmless guessing which can be fun for some people. Not many equate strictly the idea of box office success (or failure) = good or bad film.

Personally i don't like how much emphasis is placed on box office nowadays - if you aren't the biggest movie of the year then the film is described as a flop/performed poorly.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 7:37pm

Post #32 of 49 (348 views)
Shortcut
Here is another article about the pre-ticket sales... [In reply to] Can't Post

from Entertainment Weekly.

One interesting note... with the success of SkyFall and The Hobbit, MGM should now be a profitable studio once again.

Pretty incredible to come from the brink of bankruptcy to possibly a major player again.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 7:41pm

Post #33 of 49 (316 views)
Shortcut
At the end of the day... [In reply to] Can't Post

the movie's worth is how much i like it. I think nobody here is evaluating the film by the dollars it's making. Like i said, for me personally, box office is a hobby of mine and i'm rooting for "my" movie to win the year. It would be great for all people involved, it would be another hugely successful fantasy movie (i want Hollywood to make more fantasy movies and i don't mean the teen angst vampire kind) and i admit, it would make me say "i told you so!" to some people on another forum. Wink

In Reply To
Still, I get the distinct feeling that Ringers are putting too much stock in what is ultimately a bad way to evaluate the films.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Nov 9 2012, 7:42pm)

easterlingchief1
Rivendell

Nov 9 2012, 8:09pm

Post #34 of 49 (291 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you [In reply to] Can't Post

There is too much emphasis on BO. It's all a bunch of posturing and strutting by the studios, so unless you happen to work at one or you're a producer/director/exec involved in the project, why should you care?

Again, sorry about the rant. I didn't mean to derail the conversation.

For what it's worth, I'm glad tickets are selling like hotcakes. That means people are going to go see something a lot of good people put their blood, sweat, and tears into. And as a writer and filmmaker, I can definitely appreciate that.

Thanks Imin. I'm glad to see someone on these boards is an optimist Smile

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 9 2012, 8:14pm

Post #35 of 49 (295 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure it's either/or. [In reply to] Can't Post

Box office isn't a great stand alone measure but it is a useful facet (particularly over a series of films) to gain some insight outside of our personal views.

LR

SteveDJ
Rivendell

Nov 9 2012, 10:26pm

Post #36 of 49 (270 views)
Shortcut
Why not both? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know, you are saying "...but, how can I watch it at midnight at the same time at two different theaters?..."

That's not what I meant, "silly" (Gollum's voice) ... the theater I've chosen to see it at actually allows tickets to be returned! So, I bought a couple extras for friends ... and if they end up bailing on me, I can return the tickets.

I'd check with your theaters there for a similar policy, and if they allow it - buy tickets for both theaters. Then once you've made up your mind, return the others.

SteveDJ
Rivendell

Nov 9 2012, 10:28pm

Post #37 of 49 (282 views)
Shortcut
But do you compare #s, or $s ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Avatar tickets cost twice as much as LotR tickets from 2001-3, so are you comparing Avatar dollars, or ticket count?

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 10:56pm

Post #38 of 49 (263 views)
Shortcut
Didn't i say number of tickets? ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes i did. Smile

LOTR didn't sell nearly as many tickets as Avatar, so why should Hobbit? And i doubt Hobbit will even sell as many tickets as LOTR.

I don't know ticket prices for every country but in North America average ticket price in 2003 was $6.03 according to Box Office Mojo and in 2009 $7.50. Now Avatar's average ticket price should be closer to $10 since the majority saw it in 3D but that's still not twice as much.

Maybe "not nearly as many tickets" is pushing it. If we take North America and the average ticket prices i listed above, ROTK sold about 62m tickets and Avatar $76m. Internationally the difference is bigger but like i said in another post, markets have been emerging, so it's not quite as fair a comparison.

So, yeah, LOTR was huge in its day. Avatar was bigger. And Titanic was bigger than them all. Smile

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Nov 9 2012, 10:59pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 11:13pm

Post #39 of 49 (242 views)
Shortcut
Addendum [In reply to] Can't Post

Adjusting numbers for older movies and comparing them to new movies is also not quite a fair comparison. Most often than not, old movies come out ahead of newer movies. Probably as tickets cost more (especially now with 3D) and the income rising slower than the prices in many places, people buy less and less tickets. Plus other entertainment options get more and more prevalent.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Nov 9 2012, 11:22pm)

imin
Valinor

Nov 9 2012, 11:15pm

Post #40 of 49 (261 views)
Shortcut
those are some dirt cheap tickets! [In reply to] Can't Post

especially for 3D! Over here (if you convert it from pounds to dollars) factoring in IMAX and 3D for an average adult ticket - $23!

So say a family of 2 adults and 2 kids want to go see the hobbit in IMAX3D thats going to set them back in total $84 and thats not including the super expensive drinks.

Saying that the average 2D none imax adult ticket is $13.65 at my local cinema (nationwide chain).

I dont get how avatar did so well. So many people think it was rubbish other than its 3D, lol.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 11:18pm

Post #41 of 49 (239 views)
Shortcut
Well, only a fraction of overall tickets sold are for IMAX [In reply to] Can't Post

And there are a lot of places where tickets are cheaper, like rural areas or smaller towns. And there are also matinee prices or discounts for kids or days where tickets are cheaper etc.

imin
Valinor

Nov 9 2012, 11:23pm

Post #42 of 49 (240 views)
Shortcut
yeah it just sucks that [In reply to] Can't Post

the UK's 2D ticket is more expensive than the average American 3D ticket.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 11:29pm

Post #43 of 49 (234 views)
Shortcut
Everything is cheaper in the USA. [In reply to] Can't Post

And i agree, it's not fair. Wink

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 9 2012, 11:45pm

Post #44 of 49 (236 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit in 3D will cost 140 crowns here in Sweden (about 23-24 dollars). Looks like it's more than double of what the americans are paying for the same movie Crazy

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

imin
Valinor

Nov 9 2012, 11:52pm

Post #45 of 49 (232 views)
Shortcut
no wonder so many of them go to the movies! [In reply to] Can't Post

They are also lovely and cool (some may say cold) with their air con blasting away - could walk in out of the damn hot cali sun and felt like walking into a big fridge (it had the added benefit of getting to look all macho infront of a date as i didnt get cold, haha). Im sure with you being from Sweden must think that level of 'cold' is crazy, lol.

Cant wait to go to Sweden one day - the most attractive woman i have ever seen in real life was from Sweden - just thought i would let you know, haha.

Olessan
Bree

Nov 10 2012, 1:40am

Post #46 of 49 (209 views)
Shortcut
Those are some cheap tickets :o [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Yes i did. Smile

LOTR didn't sell nearly as many tickets as Avatar, so why should Hobbit? And i doubt Hobbit will even sell as many tickets as LOTR.

I don't know ticket prices for every country but in North America average ticket price in 2003 was $6.03 according to Box Office Mojo and in 2009 $7.50. Now Avatar's average ticket price should be closer to $10 since the majority saw it in 3D but that's still not twice as much.

Maybe "not nearly as many tickets" is pushing it. If we take North America and the average ticket prices i listed above, ROTK sold about 62m tickets and Avatar $76m. Internationally the difference is bigger but like i said in another post, markets have been emerging, so it's not quite as fair a comparison.

So, yeah, LOTR was huge in its day. Avatar was bigger. And Titanic was bigger than them all. Smile

$7.50 - $10 is really cheap for tickets. Here, to see a normal 2D movie it's $16 ($11 if you go on sale day) and $19-$23 for a 3D one. And those are just the basic seats. Crazy
I can see why cinema is so popular in the U.S if tickets cost as much as lunch, haha.

(This post was edited by Olessan on Nov 10 2012, 1:41am)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 3:51am

Post #47 of 49 (246 views)
Shortcut
There's only one remedy for super-expensive drinks and snacks [In reply to] Can't Post

A trip to the convenience store beforehand. Smile

irodino
Bree

Nov 10 2012, 6:22am

Post #48 of 49 (208 views)
Shortcut
My prediction is 2 billion mark when the dust falls [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been saying this all along, it will be big, bigger than ROTK, easily. It's a children's book, entire schools will go see it, parents with kids, unlike with ROTK. We have a decade of thirst for ME behind us, many who had no clue before, are now aware of the critically acclaimed LOTR trilogy and want more movies as well. The hype around new technologies involved will bring people in too. I can very well imagine people who don't even care about the story going in to see 48 fps footage for the first time. I doubt it will reach anywhere near Avatar numbers though. Cameron has a thing for big event movies somehow.

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, and the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that terrible in-between."

iandea14
Rivendell

Nov 10 2012, 7:01am

Post #49 of 49 (223 views)
Shortcut
It should [In reply to] Can't Post

I see no way that it wouldn't set a new record.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.