Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Must stop listening to Hobbit music tracks early

SteveDJ
Rivendell

Nov 9 2012, 3:51pm

Post #1 of 17 (865 views)
Shortcut
Must stop listening to Hobbit music tracks early Can't Post

Yesterday, I finally decided to follow one of those links to go listen to some of the Hobbit music. It was the Radagast track, I think.

So, as it starts, I'm thinking -- yea, that sounds kinda like LotR-esque music. But as it proceeded, I found that I was almost forcing myself to like the music. I had ZERO emotion otherwise. And I think it is because I haven't seen the movie yet, so don't have any visuals to connect to the music.

Imagine yourself, if someone played the LotR music for you but you hadn't seen the movies. Would the music mean anything to you?

This means I'm worried that if I try to listen to the music now - before seeing the movie - that I might taint my emotional response to it once I hear it in the movie. And that is something I must avoid.

So I just wanted to post this, as I hope none of you are experiencing what I have with the new music - and if so, I urge you to follow me - and STOP listening to it until after you've seen the movie. (Btw - I stopped listening to that track before 2 minutes in)

Thoughts?

(This post was edited by SteveDJ on Nov 9 2012, 3:51pm)

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 9 2012, 3:57pm

Post #2 of 17 (481 views)
Shortcut
Yes. The music has a power of it's own. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Imagine yourself, if someone played the LotR music for you but you hadn't seen the movies. Would the music mean anything to you?

Music from LotR is frequently heard on TV for it's emotional impact, completely devoid of any Tolkien related context. I heard a bit of Gollum's theme used as incidental music for a factual program about the Isle of Man last week.

Indeed, a case could be made that the music is superior to the movies it was composed to accompany.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 9 2012, 4:26pm

Post #3 of 17 (442 views)
Shortcut
Apart from the Radagast track, I have stayed soundtrack free [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm so pleased I have done. I agree with your reasons.

I want to build up an emotional response to the music while watching the films.

But it's up to every individual - I've certainly not stayed away from spoilers!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 9 2012, 4:30pm

Post #4 of 17 (428 views)
Shortcut
You better not come near me then, [In reply to] Can't Post

Since I keep singing Misty Mountains.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

Macfeast
Rohan

Nov 9 2012, 4:39pm

Post #5 of 17 (413 views)
Shortcut
Agree, the music has a power of it's own. [In reply to] Can't Post

True, hearing it in context, I imagine would be even more powerful. Still, listening to it in advance makes me excited, not only because the soundtrack itself is good (I've been singing "Blunt the Knives" for myself ever since I heard it, it's so catchy), but also because it makes me even more eager to hear it in context, to see the associated visuals.

To me, the right kind of spoilers can add to the excitement. It's understandable though that others may feel differently; To each his own!

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Nov 9 2012, 4:45pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Nov 9 2012, 4:41pm

Post #6 of 17 (404 views)
Shortcut
Not me [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm grabbing everything I can. I will wear out the soundtrack as soon as I get it. lol

Sam20
Lorien

Nov 9 2012, 5:05pm

Post #7 of 17 (416 views)
Shortcut
Soundtrack [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a good point. I've listened to the preview of Radagast and The Hobbit and should perhaps stop there and so might not listen to 60 second previews of all soundtrack of the film. It seems to me a bit weird to listen a film score before actually seeing the film. You cannot put the music in his context and therefore as you mention the emotion isn't really there.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Nov 9 2012, 5:07pm)

Laerasëa
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 5:08pm

Post #8 of 17 (387 views)
Shortcut
Not in the same way for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I *love* film scores, and anytime a movie is coming out with a score that is supposed to be good, I often get it in advance, without even seeing the movie (the same is true for tv show music, or even video game music...I don't remember the last time I played a video game where I hadn't previously heard the music).

The problem for me is more about musical spoilers. I do get emotional listening to the soundtrack of TH-- the music means a lot to me, and I love picking out various new and returning themes--, but I don't want the emotions to have worn out by the time I see the movie. I want to be just as excited when I hear a new theme in the movie as I was when listening to the soundtrack.

For this reason, I'm trying not to listen to the soundtrack very much, although I haven't been wildly successful so far...:P

‎"If my tongue were trained to measures, I would sing a stirring song."
--Paul Tillich

Mozart and Chocolate

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 9 2012, 5:09pm

Post #9 of 17 (433 views)
Shortcut
You should get it out of the way and hear how bad it really is [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, SA thinks it is great, so it must be bad, right?

Angelic

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Nov 9 2012, 5:52pm

Post #10 of 17 (352 views)
Shortcut
Sheep [In reply to] Can't Post

There once was a heard of sheep grazing on what was left of their pasture. The sheep were too ravenous for the pasture to easily sustain. One sheep said to the rest, "We don't have to eat so much. Let the grass grow so we can enjoy it when it's long and ready to eat." Hearing this, the other sheep looked up long enough to say, "But it tastes so good right now." They put their heads back down and the wisdom was quickly ignored and forgotten. They were just sheep after all. The sheep inevitably ran out grass and never got the chance to taste the long grass. It become a dusty, tasteless place because they had not the wisdom of self control. The grass died and the sheep decided to eat their young to solve the problem.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Nov 9 2012, 5:53pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 9 2012, 9:17pm

Post #11 of 17 (283 views)
Shortcut
I listen to music before hand if I can get it (or want to get it) [In reply to] Can't Post

I respond very deeply to music and I don't need visuals to respond to it and I don't imagine visuals when I respond to it. If I develop a connection to the music, then that connection will deepen my response to the visuals when I finally see them.

I never feel spoiled by doing this.

I saw FOTR before listening to the CD but I bought the OST CDs for TTT and ROTK before watching the movie and I responded to them very well. I was thrilled.

I will say, I am holding off listening to the 30 second samples very much because I don't think that's how the music was meant to be experienced. It's kind of like the Reader's Digest Condensed Version (that just flew over hundreds of heads) or the edited for tv version of a good movie (seriously... the editing can just wreck a really good movie).

Music over the movie and even over the trilogy has its own breath. It breaths in and out and shouts and whispers and it happens pretty organically. To break it into chunks is to destroy that organic nature. But once I have the CDs on I'll listen to them as often as I can.

And last thought... you shouldn't force yourself to like music or any kind of art. You should honor the response that is coming naturally. That response could easily change over time - with repeat viewings or listens - or with a new experience under your belt that makes you come at something differently. But we should all either want to listen or not. And we should enjoy what we hear or not. I'm a bit perplexed that any of us should need to justify what we want or what we experience. We should just own it.

:-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 9 2012, 9:22pm

Post #12 of 17 (274 views)
Shortcut
I have said and I people have told me the same... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that I came out the other end of the LOTR movies loving the score music more than the actual movies.

What about the music that isn't connected to visuals? We can't lay say we like that music because of the movies. Bilbo's Song is not connected with any scene from the movie at all. But I defy anyone to listen to that and not feel moved... unless that style of music is just not to their taste.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 9 2012, 9:47pm

Post #13 of 17 (268 views)
Shortcut
I have to say [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo's Song is beautiful. And is probably my favourite track of the entire trilogy!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 9 2012, 11:30pm

Post #14 of 17 (232 views)
Shortcut
quick question [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't gone through all the tracks (I have difficulty listening to soundtrack music without being able to note when it happens in the film).

Anyway, I was wondering if any of the track previews have the teaser trailer theme? It's brilliant and I hope it wasn't made solely for the trailer.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 4:03am

Post #15 of 17 (236 views)
Shortcut
IMO, the LOTR soundtrack by itself [In reply to] Can't Post

Is better than the LOTR soundtrack with images, with a few exceptions (Dwarrowdelf, beacons, etc).

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 10 2012, 7:45pm

Post #16 of 17 (169 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

But I do think it matches the tone of the film perfectly. There are instances where it's perhaps too much (Gandalf/Saruman fight), but it's difficult to know who to blame for that since virtually anyone in the production could have come up with the idea. Peter Jackson likes over-the-top stuff, but Shore himself could have written it without even showing Peter first, so who knows?

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Nov 11 2012, 7:25am

Post #17 of 17 (186 views)
Shortcut
I've listened to the whole soundtrack preview now. (spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

And yet i already forget what it sounds like.So i'm not in the least bit worried.The only songs i wished i saved for the movie are the loney mountain song and Blunt the knives.They struck me by surprise and now that wow factor is gone now So yeh a bit dissapointed with that. ShockedActually even knowing Blunt the knives exists is a MAJOR spoiler for me.Laugh

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Nov 11 2012, 7:30am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.