Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Warg appearance
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2012, 12:54pm

Post #51 of 70 (302 views)
Shortcut
Sorry but as soon as the "singing" started i had to turn it off. [In reply to] Can't Post

Rap is awful. Crazy

imin
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 1:01pm

Post #52 of 70 (294 views)
Shortcut
i cant say i like rap [In reply to] Can't Post

but i don't think of that as rap - its more like Flight of the Concords as in funny songs - each to their own. Smile

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 10 2012, 1:57pm

Post #53 of 70 (288 views)
Shortcut
Rap is Crap without the Letter C in Front of it? /// [In reply to] Can't Post

Escapist
Gondor

Nov 10 2012, 2:09pm

Post #54 of 70 (295 views)
Shortcut
Good question [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried to look at all kinds of examples of CGI dogs and wolves to see what was good and not good.

One thing that I noticed was that the LOTR wargs are hard to use as an example because the resolution just wasn't as fine-grained and they weren't totally CGI.

So just considering other totally CGI animals, I noticed that a lot of the Avatar creatures did not have hair and that it is probably easier with less hair.

I looked at the Twilight wolves. They weren't bad although I could tell they weren't "real".
*The jumping transformation was revealing of the not-realness of CGI
*I found with a lot of CGI (including Yoda and Twilight wolves and probably everything else) there is a lot of movement of things like ears and a certain bubbly and flowing bounciness that is a little bit unrealistic.

I think Gollum is pretty good, actually, as an example of great CGI - but now again ... not much hair ...

I agree that the wargs shouldn't just be wolves - but that having something darker (and not looking all that healthy ... less hair) would work.

imin
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 2:12pm

Post #55 of 70 (290 views)
Shortcut
A massive Chinese Crested warg? [:P] [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I agree that the wargs shouldn't just be wolves - but that having something darker (and not looking all that healthy ... less hair) would work.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2012, 2:37pm

Post #56 of 70 (286 views)
Shortcut
I don't think hair is that much of a problem anymore. [In reply to] Can't Post

Kong had hair and he looked great and that was 2005.

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 10 2012, 3:31pm

Post #57 of 70 (266 views)
Shortcut
CGI monkey [In reply to] Can't Post

looked like a CGI monkey.

There is still a long way to go before hair can be done 100% realisticaly.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2012, 3:38pm

Post #58 of 70 (262 views)
Shortcut
Well, i disagree. [In reply to] Can't Post

Kong looked pretty amazing.

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 10 2012, 3:39pm

Post #59 of 70 (277 views)
Shortcut
Amazing? Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Real? No.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2012, 3:50pm

Post #60 of 70 (272 views)
Shortcut
He looked pretty real to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not like 100% real, not in every instance. But it's not the fur that gave it away.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Nov 10 2012, 3:51pm)

imin
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 3:59pm

Post #61 of 70 (257 views)
Shortcut
its almost always the eyes that give it away for me (before anything else) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 7:22pm

Post #62 of 70 (268 views)
Shortcut
Apart from the Gimli slapstick, and Aragorn's tumble [In reply to] Can't Post

I also find the scene to be rather well done (and the wargs, while not my vision, are certainly great CGI, as they seem to exist in the landscape pretty seamlessly).

An attack on horsemen in the open plains, by a primordial evil, feels very Tolkien to me.

In fact, if I occasionally rewatch TTT, I always watch this scene, and then essentially fast forward through the visually and story-telling blah that is Helm's Deep.

This scene at least felt fresh.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 7:23pm

Post #63 of 70 (248 views)
Shortcut
IMO [In reply to] Can't Post

The warg hair in TTT looked much more realistic than Kong's.

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 10 2012, 7:39pm

Post #64 of 70 (260 views)
Shortcut
I thought Kong's hair was better [In reply to] Can't Post

It had more texture and more variation. Sometimes it was matted, sometimes wet, sometimes crusted with blood, it moved in the wind....

There's some iffy CGI in King Kong (I'm looking at you, brontosaurus stampede), but Kong himself is definitely not an example of it.

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 10 2012, 7:41pm

Post #65 of 70 (269 views)
Shortcut
Helm's Deep is visually blah? [In reply to] Can't Post

Aside from the fact that it's supposed to be grim and ugly, the ability to show a giant battle like this was groundbreaking for its time. The only thing I dislike about it is the blue digital grading.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 10 2012, 8:20pm

Post #66 of 70 (235 views)
Shortcut
I thought it was brave [In reply to] Can't Post

of them to do all those warg cgi effects in broad daylight, which is unforgiving. You can see all the flaws in strong daylight. So I give them praise for going for it. The only time I have seen cgi in daylight that looks real to me personally, is Aslan.

GothmogTheBalrog
Rivendell

Nov 11 2012, 2:45am

Post #67 of 70 (227 views)
Shortcut
"Bring your pretty face to my axe!" [In reply to] Can't Post

All the Gimli slapstick in that scene was overwhelming. Really? Two Wargs and an orc fall on him? Stupid.

"It was like a great shadow, in the middle of which was a dark form, of man shape maybe, yet greater; and a power and terror seemed to be in it and go before it." ~FotR

Tim
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2012, 3:22am

Post #68 of 70 (224 views)
Shortcut
That scene was spine-tingling good [In reply to] Can't Post

It's intriguing the different reactions something invokes. I always look forward to that cool moment the elf gets on the horse in slo-mo. Cool

-Tim came by. Tim! If you had heard only a quarter of what I have heard about him, and I have only heard very little of all there is to hear, you would be prepared for any sort of remarkable tale.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 11 2012, 3:52am

Post #69 of 70 (212 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

But the rest of the sequence was great, IMO.

Tim
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2012, 3:57am

Post #70 of 70 (250 views)
Shortcut
It seems I'm one of the few here [In reply to] Can't Post

Who really liked comic Gimli.

-Tim came by. Tim! If you had heard only a quarter of what I have heard about him, and I have only heard very little of all there is to hear, you would be prepared for any sort of remarkable tale.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.