Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
30 sec longer preview of Niel Finn's Song of the Lonely Mountain!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 11 2012, 5:17pm

Post #76 of 95 (328 views)
Shortcut
what about [In reply to] Can't Post

Little Dragon? I think they are Swedish. Wink

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 11 2012, 5:38pm

Post #77 of 95 (334 views)
Shortcut
I also never knew so many people disliked Gollum's Song [In reply to] Can't Post

As IMO, it is infinitely superior to the other end credit songs from the trilogy.

What don't people like about it, I wonder? Is it because the singer has an accent, or is the tone, the rhythm?

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 11 2012, 5:48pm

Post #78 of 95 (338 views)
Shortcut
Probably the tone for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I prefer May it Be and Into the West. These sound sound very different to Gollum's Song.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Nov 11 2012, 6:04pm

Post #79 of 95 (322 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

While May It Be and Into The West both have a "lighter" feel than Gollum's Song, I tend feel that Into The West and Gollum's Song have more in common with each other than with May It Be, in that they both feel to me to be more Middle Earth-y, and more substantial IMO. May It Be, while lovely, is a bit of a nothing song to me, not really taking any of the emotions from the story and not really going anywhere musically between the first note and the last. It does still fit quite well where it is, just not as brilliantly as the other two.

The context is very important. A direct comparison between Into The West and Gollum's Song shows two very different songs, but their placement in the story and the Middle Earth world is, for me, perfect.

I can however understand why some may feel otherwise.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 11 2012, 6:07pm

Post #80 of 95 (317 views)
Shortcut
This is very similar to my view. [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 11 2012, 6:26pm

Post #81 of 95 (337 views)
Shortcut
I don't have a problem with the context, the message or the lyrics [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with everything you say. The problem I have is how it sounds, and not it's context.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 11 2012, 6:31pm

Post #82 of 95 (318 views)
Shortcut
I meant to answer the other day... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but I was having computer issues and lost my post.

Three bands/songs I could suggest you take a listen to:

Hedningarna - Räven

Garmarna - Vänner och fränder

Värttinä - Oi dai

or mix a little of the joiker, Wimme, in with them

Hedningarna / Wimme - Riddu Riddu

Värttinä feat. Wimme - Manattu

(I was a bit perplexed and underwhelmed by Wimme when listening on CD... especially in the car where I don't have the best speakers. I got to see him open for Hedningarna and was blown away by his vocals. Listen to some of his solo vocals to get the best sense of what he does.)

Here's Värttinä singing some music written for the LOTR stage play : Lothlorien - Värttinä with Christopher Nightingale (Toronto Demo)

Mari Boine - Reindeer of Diamond

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 11 2012, 6:33pm

Post #83 of 95 (308 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you [In reply to] Can't Post

I prefer Gollum's Song to the other two, mostly because of the darker tone, but also on a compositional level. It's got quite unusual progressions and phrases for a song with lyrics.

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Nov 11 2012, 6:35pm

Post #84 of 95 (321 views)
Shortcut
Understood [In reply to] Can't Post

And at risk of overdoing the topic, I would say that "how it sounds" is the most important thing for me too. And I just think Gollum's Song sounds to me more interesting, emotional and Middle Earthy, as does Into The West, than May It Be. But hey, to each his own. If you don't like how it sounds, who am I to disagree with you Angelic

Very much looking forward to hearing the rest of Song of the Lonely Mountain to decide if that fits into Middle Earth Wink

For hum a song that echoes on...

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Nov 11 2012, 6:37pm

Post #85 of 95 (304 views)
Shortcut
Hey, we got all the Gollum's Song fanclub appearing now [In reply to] Can't Post

Are we sure that we're the minority? Crazy

Tongue

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 11 2012, 6:44pm

Post #86 of 95 (345 views)
Shortcut
when you say 'tone', do you mean 'mood' or vocal tone? [In reply to] Can't Post

If you mean vocal tone, then I'm wondering if it is the style of Nordic singers that is sounding different. Macfalk said he nver got any "particular Nordic-vibes" from Emiliana but sometimes I think we don't get a good sense of what is unique about a particular style if it's very prevalent in one's area. I don't get a strong Nordic vibe off Gollum's Song but I know they wanted Bjork originally and I do get a strong Nordic roots vibe off her. So I think it's there, under Emiliana's voice, as well.

I've been listening to Nordic music since maybe 1990? There was a local music distributor here in town that was distributing quite a lot of Nordic Music to the US and bringing the artists in for concerts (I've seen Hedningarna, Vartinna, and Wimme live). And Minnesota has a large population of people descended from Finnish, Swedish, and Norwegian immigrants and there are lots of culture festivals and we have a large folk dance community where the folkdancing creeps in. So I enjoy it quite a bit and I think it primed me to enjoy Emiliana's voice.

I love Bulgarian women's voices, also, but not Egyptian so much. I think so much comes down to familiarity and/or just instinctual reaction to music that sounds different to each of us.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 11 2012, 7:25pm

Post #87 of 95 (304 views)
Shortcut
Definitely the vocal tone [In reply to] Can't Post

I was 12 when TTT was released - it was the first time I had heard something like that. It was very different. I'm not a big listener of music, even today. I have a narrow range of what I like and what I don't.

I must reiterate though, that it's still enjoyable. Yes, it's my least favourite but is in perfect context of the film. That's more important than whether I like it or not.

Had I been more exposed to more songs with similar vocal tones, then my opinion would probably be considerably different.

Smile

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 11 2012, 7:28pm

Post #88 of 95 (294 views)
Shortcut
I love it [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely my favorite of the end credit songs.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 11 2012, 8:28pm

Post #89 of 95 (293 views)
Shortcut
thanks for elaborating [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah.. in the end, we like what we like and vice versa... and there doesn't have to be any real defense of that.

But it can be enjoyable to pick the minds of others sometimes. Understanding your background and what you find non-enjoyable about the song helps me understand why people might not like the song in general.

Elessar
Valinor

Nov 11 2012, 11:40pm

Post #90 of 95 (287 views)
Shortcut
That makes me feel old. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was 21 when TTT came out.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 12 2012, 8:44am

Post #91 of 95 (284 views)
Shortcut
Just swap the numbers around / [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

utku
Rivendell

Nov 12 2012, 9:26am

Post #92 of 95 (269 views)
Shortcut
An even longer preview of the song [In reply to] Can't Post

http://fishcustard.tumblr.com/post/35555050582

It's 1.40, pretty much gives a good idea about the song now.

Elessar
Valinor

Nov 12 2012, 12:08pm

Post #93 of 95 (274 views)
Shortcut
There ya go [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes being that young again would make things much simpler. lol

dave_lf
Gondor

Nov 12 2012, 1:48pm

Post #94 of 95 (259 views)
Shortcut
I don't hate it [In reply to] Can't Post

but I find it unpleasant, as in not enjoyable to listen to. But at least to some extent, that is by design--the song is supposed to be full of misery.

As far as the vocals go, it doesn't bother me that Torrini has a different accent than I do, but I don't like it that she sings in that baby voice some female vocalists effect.

dave_lf
Gondor

Nov 12 2012, 1:52pm

Post #95 of 95 (297 views)
Shortcut
Aule and the creation of the dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

So regarding this section:

We lay under the misty mountains cold
In slumbers deep and dreams of gold.
We must awake, our lives to make
And in the darkness, a torch we hold.

This sounds to me like an allusion to the dwarves' origin-myth (except for the torch; not sure what that's supposed to mean). Could it be that we'll see or hear something about this in the films, or is it just an inside reference for the fans?

(This post was edited by dave_lf on Nov 12 2012, 1:53pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.