Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What songs or music make you think of TH and LOTR?

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Nov 9 2012, 2:25am

Post #1 of 17 (423 views)
Shortcut
What songs or music make you think of TH and LOTR? Can't Post

Just a month and a half to go until the premiere of The Hobbit! I'm stoked, but also nervous. While we all await the premiere, a thought had occurred to me: what music makes you think of The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings? If you were to make an LAMV, what music would you set them to? Are there particular songs you associate with a character or scene? It can be any type of music, any singer or band, post away!

I'll post a few myself.
Ramble On by Led Zeppelin. Not only do the lyrics actually mention Gollum, Mordor and the Evil One, but the song itself makes me think of The Fellowship "rambling on", moving on with their journey and continuing with the best of their ability. A few other Led Zeppelin songs that make me think of The Lord of the Rings is "Immigrant Song", "Stairway to Heaven", "D'yer M'aker" and for the Hobbit, "Misty Mountain Hop" for obvious reasons.

The songs "The Supermen", "The Man Who Sold the World", "Changes", "Five Years", "Soul Love" and "Starman" by David Bowie also brings images to my mind. The Supermen can make me think of the Numenoreans, "The Man Who Sold the World" makes me think of Saruman, and "Five Years" makes me think of The War of the Ring, in which all of Middle-Earth was at stake.

For some reason, "Holidays in the Sun" by the Sex Pistols make me think of the Hobbit, and then other songs that I can think of at the top of my head that remind me of Lord of the Rings are "Pop Goes the World" by Men Without Hats and "The Sun Always Shines on TV by A-Ha". The last one I know probably doesn't make sense, considering there is no TV in Middle-Earth, but with all that is going on, the "sun still shines on TV". I tend to associate several New Wave songs with Frodo, for some reason. "Don't Dream It's Over" by Crowded House, "Send Me an Angel" and "Catch Me I'm Falling" by Real Life make me think of Frodo. Okay, I just made a really long post, time for others to speak up!

Give some of these songs a listen if you haven't heard them! They're great! I'll post links if anyone wants any.

(This post was edited by Ziggy Stardust on Nov 9 2012, 2:28am)

redgiraffe
Rohan

Nov 9 2012, 2:37am

Post #2 of 17 (251 views)
Shortcut
sweet [In reply to] Can't Post

you didn't mention the one that reminds me of LOTR the most: The battle of evermore by led zep

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Nov 9 2012, 2:43am

Post #3 of 17 (239 views)
Shortcut
I knew I was forgetting one. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Battle of Evermore" comes to mind too, as a few songs I just thought of.

"Psycho Killer" by Talking Heads. It makes me think of Gollum, especially the lyrics.

"Rise" by Public Image Limited. This one makes me think of Bilbo going on his journey.

"The Great Commandment" by Camoflage. Makes me think of Frodo, Sauron and the Ring,

guitarzankansasfan
Lorien

Nov 9 2012, 3:08am

Post #4 of 17 (267 views)
Shortcut
White Lion, Kansas, etc [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't heard any of the Zepplin stuff that people have mentioned. I lean more toward the 80s genre. One of my favorite 80s metal songs is "Lady of the Valley" by White Lion. When I listen to it, makes me imagine a fan-fic songfic story where Faramir goes on a quest to seek the help of Galadriel after the death of Boromir.

Obviously I'm a big fan of the rock band Kansas, so the songs that remind me of Tolkien include "The Pinnacle" and "Journey from Mariabronn". Also there's a song by Kerry Livgren's other band Proto-Kaw called "Gloriana" with a flute-woodwind intro that instantly makes me think of the Shire.

Livgren also wrote a song called "The Ent Song" in the early 70s, but it was never recorded and only recieved a passing mention in a historical note on a CD liner. I would have liked to have heard that.

There was a man.
There was a lady.
There was a Dragon Lord.

(This post was edited by guitarzankansasfan on Nov 9 2012, 3:09am)

jtarkey
Rohan

Nov 9 2012, 3:27am

Post #5 of 17 (232 views)
Shortcut
I'm really a sucker for the Rankin Bass music [In reply to] Can't Post

I know it's kind of corny, but it has this sort of mystical, long forgotten tone to it that I really love.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Nov 9 2012, 4:00am

Post #6 of 17 (216 views)
Shortcut
I would've liked to hear The Ent Song too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Kansas is a good band, and you gave some good songs. When you get the chance, have a listen to Zeppelin. In fact, I'll post links to all the songs I chose later so people can listen if they want and not have to search on their own.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Nov 9 2012, 4:01am

Post #7 of 17 (215 views)
Shortcut
That's totally fine. [In reply to] Can't Post

Like I said, any type of music is allowed to be mentioned. I have a tendency to come up with a lot of 80s New Wave songs for Frodo, and I'm sure that scratched some heads.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Nov 9 2012, 4:04am

Post #8 of 17 (219 views)
Shortcut
Some more I thought of. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Living in Oblivion" by Anything Box. Again, another New Wave song that makes me think of Frodo.

"Bizarre Love Triangle" by New Order. One of my favorite songs, and another New Wave song that I think of Frodo on.

"A Question of Lust" by Depeche Mode. For Gollum. Nuff said.

Everyone, feel free to post more than once if you think of more. I feel bad that I'm taking most of the thread. You're welcome to give all your thoughts.

(This post was edited by Ziggy Stardust on Nov 9 2012, 4:05am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 9 2012, 7:58am

Post #9 of 17 (195 views)
Shortcut
The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins [In reply to] Can't Post

Clearly the best song. EVER.

Unimpressed

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 9 2012, 8:14am

Post #10 of 17 (200 views)
Shortcut
Lunatica... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love this Swiss symphonic metal group...two of their tracks on the "Edge of Infinity" album take me straight ino Middle-earth:

Together is perfect for RotK

and The Power of Love always makes me think of Beren & Luthien...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 9 2012, 3:10pm

Post #11 of 17 (189 views)
Shortcut
Wow Bomby loved it Thang you very Bunch/// [In reply to] Can't Post

Plurmo
Rohan

Nov 9 2012, 3:58pm

Post #12 of 17 (159 views)
Shortcut
"They're taking the hobbits to Isengard, to Isengard, to Isengard..."// [In reply to] Can't Post

imin
Valinor

Nov 9 2012, 6:55pm

Post #13 of 17 (124 views)
Shortcut
Haha [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a housemate once who was obsessed with playing this song at another one of my housemates who used to hate it to wind him up, lol.

Goes on for something like 6 hours i think.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Nov 10 2012, 1:43am

Post #14 of 17 (125 views)
Shortcut
It's quite catchy [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2yEbnxVli0

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 4:31am

Post #15 of 17 (107 views)
Shortcut
Mostly [In reply to] Can't Post

Anything by Lady Gaga.

imin
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 9:09am

Post #16 of 17 (101 views)
Shortcut
oh it is, haha. [In reply to] Can't Post

The 10 hour version of this has over 2 million views! What's the world coming to, lol

Plurmo
Rohan

Nov 10 2012, 11:15pm

Post #17 of 17 (117 views)
Shortcut
Oh no! I cannot resist. Here I go watching that thing again!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.