Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Info from the recently-released movie books
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dave_lf
Gondor

Nov 9 2012, 7:07pm

Post #26 of 36 (192 views)
Shortcut
I'd rather they did it Tolkien's way too [In reply to] Can't Post

but to play devil's advocate (hm; devil's advocate with regard to Deus Ex Machina...), it is a bit of a weak point that Gandalf, a Mair demigod who can defeat a balrog in single combat and upon whom the fate of the world will soon depend, would have died here but for sheer luck. Some argue that the eagles are supposed to be the hand of God so there's no problem having them fill that role in the story, but The Hobbit shows us their earthy, sheep-stealing side, which kind of breaks the illusion.

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 9 2012, 11:45pm

Post #27 of 36 (172 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien wasn't a perfect writer [In reply to] Can't Post

He did many, many things well, but he wasn't the greatest at logical devices. There are many instances of deus ex machina in LOTR, which would be fine if fans looked at his work as a myth instead of the "real world" identity they've given it. You simply can't ask Middle-earth to be portrayed as if it were real and then have all these very old-fashioned, myth-like devices in the telling of the story. (Erkenbrand shows up to save the day, the Eagles just happen to arrive, Gandalf comes back just in time to rescue the dwarves from the trolls, etc). It works okay in the novel, but in this day and age of filmmaking it doesn't work as well, which is why I suppose the filmmakers, when Peter decided he wanted Middle-earth to feel real, chose to alter some events/characters to better fit that world.

Plus, from a writing perspective I think it's much smarter and takes more work to connect story points in a seemingly natural way than it is to have things randomly show up.

(This post was edited by starlesswinter on Nov 9 2012, 11:49pm)

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 9 2012, 11:48pm

Post #28 of 36 (166 views)
Shortcut
Technically it's not the moth's theme [In reply to] Can't Post

It's actually called "Nature's Reclamation" and refers to everything good and pure reclaiming Middle-earth from evil. Usually it's in relation to nature itself. It's used for the moth, the eagles, the Ents' march on Isengard, and when Rohan charges upon the Pelennor Fields.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 4:28am

Post #29 of 36 (166 views)
Shortcut
Does the Storybook have...new images? [In reply to] Can't Post

If so, why have they not been scanned and uploaded yet? Smile

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 4:30am

Post #30 of 36 (153 views)
Shortcut
Complexity does not equal quality [In reply to] Can't Post

Plus, from a writing perspective I think it's much smarter and takes more work to connect story points in a seemingly natural way than it is to have things randomly show up.

You may be right from a "writing 101" perspective, but great writers know how to break the rules.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 10 2012, 8:17am

Post #31 of 36 (147 views)
Shortcut
You should buy them SA, and upload the scans for us! ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2012, 6:21pm

Post #32 of 36 (151 views)
Shortcut
Only a couple [In reply to] Can't Post

The pic of Bilbo/Fili/Kili looking over a log which has turned up online, and the concept art for Goblin town which is also in the Brian Sibley movie guide (the image of snowy peaks with the Company approaching a red crevice beneath). The rest are recycled promo pics we've already seen.

I'd have scanned the new pic, but I have the Kindle edition and am not sure how to capture images from it. Blush

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 7:31pm

Post #33 of 36 (135 views)
Shortcut
There are far more than a couple new pics in the Sibley Movie Guide [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing hugely revealing, but there are lots of new photos.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 7:34pm

Post #34 of 36 (121 views)
Shortcut
And a lot of good information [In reply to] Can't Post

Not much that is that spoilerific, but I am finding it really interesting reading.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2012, 7:58pm

Post #35 of 36 (149 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the behind-the-scenes pics in the Sibley book are pretty nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Overall, I was expected more spoilers from the tie-in books, but hey, only a month and four days left until we have the movie itself. The only one I didn't bother getting on Kindle was the activity book, as IMO, it's very unlikely to have anything of interest. Wink

Weirdly, there seems to be embargo on the material they're added to the film - the spider attack, Dol Guldur/the Necromancer story, the Nazgul Tomb sequence ETC as well as potential flashback material concerning Dale and Erebor. I suppose they've featured scenes from the book so heavily in the blogs and marketing, they want the expanded material to be a surprise (with the exception of Galadriel's presence and the Older Bilbo opening, apparently). I suspect Warner Bros. is probably more behind this than PJ, as under New Line we got a lot more info in the Visual Dictionary, just for example.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Nov 10 2012, 8:03pm)

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 10 2012, 10:58pm

Post #36 of 36 (126 views)
Shortcut
Check out he latest JW Braun's bookshelf... [In reply to] Can't Post

(The thread is on the fist page) as he's reviewing the AUJ Movie Storybook, and yet get to see quite a few of the photo spreads...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.