Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bilbo's Diary Page! (and some new pics and old ones in better quality)

TheHutt
Gondor

Nov 8 2012, 6:06pm

Post #1 of 16 (1367 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's Diary Page! (and some new pics and old ones in better quality) Can't Post

http://www.henneth-annun.ru/...rov-i-dnevnik-bilbo/

Russian LotR/Hobbit Site:

Henneth-annun.ru - the Russian LOTR site

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 8 2012, 6:12pm

Post #2 of 16 (510 views)
Shortcut
This has to be the book Frodo is reading at the beginning of FOTR / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

TheHutt
Gondor

Nov 8 2012, 6:17pm

Post #3 of 16 (522 views)
Shortcut
Definitely not the Red Book... [In reply to] Can't Post

...as Bilbo is just starting writing it in the Prologue of FOTR. :)

Decipher, anyone? I'll start:

"...to a soul. Naturally I won't. In fact, it might be better to leave all the potato-growing matters to our dear Master Hamfast - since he does it so well. That way, I need not consider felling that beautiful tree."

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Nov 8 2012, 6:25pm

Post #4 of 16 (512 views)
Shortcut
I Google translated the caption: [In reply to] Can't Post

"Diary of Bilbo: Very interesting reading with many built-in jokes and references to Tolkien!"

This is lovely! Daniel Reeve (who else would have done it?) must have had so much fun making it. Has there been a reference to this anywhere before?

From the diary: "Real dragons must be marvelous creatures, indeed, to have the dragonfly named after them."

TheHutt
Gondor

Nov 8 2012, 6:38pm

Post #5 of 16 (809 views)
Shortcut
Going on... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Nor, I might add, do I need to consider Hamfast's other odd notion that my beautiful white butterflies are a pest! Preposterous! How can he fail to see them for what they clearly are - beautiful, harmless creatures, - is beyound me. And yet there he is now, even as I write this, shooing them away!

Luckily, they ignore him completely, and continue their carefree dance among the nasturtius (?). I must admit they seem to be dreadfully fond of his cabbages, which makes Hamfast rather irate at times: I don't think I'll succeed in changing his mind on this matter. Better to agree on our differences, I think, and I'll continue to enjoy the best potatoes and cabbage in Hobbiton for many years to come.

Still, I will ask farmer Maggot what his opinion is on the matter of butterflies.

When summer comes to light our day
And chase the ghosts of spring away
And fields are green from first of May
Butterflies in gardens play

Let them dance their merry time

Right throughout the month of June
They'll be gone again, far too soon
So while summer's here, let them stay!"

(This post was edited by TheHutt on Nov 8 2012, 6:42pm)

narflet
Bree

Nov 8 2012, 6:51pm

Post #6 of 16 (453 views)
Shortcut
It's also in the Annual/Almanac/Activity Book [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of the page is covered up, so you can't read all of it like you can here but it's thoughtfully created. I liked it.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 8 2012, 6:54pm

Post #7 of 16 (407 views)
Shortcut
I didn't mean the Red Book [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant the book he is reading before he hears Gandalf.

Smile

Lost Hobbit
Rivendell

Nov 8 2012, 7:02pm

Post #8 of 16 (398 views)
Shortcut
An older [In reply to] Can't Post

There was another pic earlier, this one:

It might as well be Ori's notebook.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 8 2012, 7:07pm

Post #9 of 16 (390 views)
Shortcut
Yup. Ori also keeps a book while on the Quest. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Lost Hobbit
Rivendell

Nov 8 2012, 7:11pm

Post #10 of 16 (378 views)
Shortcut
Ori [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, that's what I meant. But on the other hand, why does Ori need to sketch something that he has watched all his life? Bilbo has encountered dwarves for the first time ever and this is when he started researching them.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 8 2012, 7:15pm

Post #11 of 16 (400 views)
Shortcut
He's just documenting it all [In reply to] Can't Post

It says in the Movie Guide that it will no doubt become an important artefact. I wonder I they will link it with the book in Moria.

Lost Hobbit
Rivendell

Nov 8 2012, 7:20pm

Post #12 of 16 (389 views)
Shortcut
Book [In reply to] Can't Post

Now the film illustrates the well educated Ori so at least this links to his corpse holding the book of Mazarbul.

TheHutt
Gondor

Nov 8 2012, 8:20pm

Post #13 of 16 (336 views)
Shortcut
Page 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

"In fact, this summer has been Marvellous! There has been wonderful sunshine and delicious, in due time and in perfect measure, and and the richness in the air that seems to make things grow exceedingly well. Fruit is plentiful, such that the young hobbits are very nearly bathing in strawberries and cream, and they sit under the plum trees and eat until they have made piles of stones like small pyramids or the heaped skulls of a conqueror.

Cotman says the vines in the Southfarthing are laden, so that they'll surely be able to press the year's harvest, and the wines are going to be wonderful. The yield of leaf is astonishing, and every barn seems to be stuffed with corn.

The Northfarthing barley is very fine indeed, so I think this will be one of the finest malts ever and the ale to come of it will surpass even the great 2918 brew.

Walking back from Bywater yesterday I stayed by the side of the Midstream for some time and enjoyed the dance of the dragonflies! What incredible creatures they are, and what a thrill it must be to hover in the air like that and dart to and fro, from flower to stem, leaf to branch, skimming above the water, not a care in the Shire.

Real dragons must be marvellous creatures indeed, to (stroked) have the dragonfly named after them. Mind, the one at the Green Dragon doesn't look so graceful, and I can't imagine it hovering above the irises in the same way these one can."

Ffnir
Rohan

Nov 8 2012, 8:27pm

Post #14 of 16 (299 views)
Shortcut
That's lovely ! Thank you for the transcription ! [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose it won't be read during the movie, and it's kind of sad all those well thought things that will go unnoticed, like all the details in the contract.

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Nov 8 2012, 9:29pm

Post #15 of 16 (260 views)
Shortcut
The crossed out bit [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Real dragons must be marvellous creatures indeed, to (stroked) have the dragonfly named after them.

The crossed out bit looks like Bilbo was about to write "Real dragons must be marvellous creatures indeed, to be named after the dragonfly" Laugh

mendil
Rivendell

Nov 16 2012, 10:00pm

Post #16 of 16 (184 views)
Shortcut
"White Butterflies are a pest!" merchandise?!?!?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Trying to figure out why WB's HobbitShop.com has an iPhone case called "White Butterflies are a pest!", I searched and found this post. Clears that up. Wink

"... But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.