Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Gollum Impersonation -- Looking for feedback

Fazumar
The Shire

Feb 27 2007, 12:55am

Post #1 of 7 (178 views)
Shortcut
Gollum Impersonation -- Looking for feedback Can't Post

Hello fellow Tolkien/Rings lovers!

My name is Tyler Michael Jonsson and I am an actor living in Los Angeles getting my start in the industry.

Like all of you I share a passionate love for all things LotR.

One of my favorite party tricks/icebreakers is to "bust out" my Gollum/Smeagol "The Taming of Smeagol" impersonation from The Two Towers.

I have made a video of this monologue and posted it on YouTube, which I will link here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql_dN2IeZ0Q

I am hoping to get some of your feedback on this performance, as I use it on auditions and such occasionally.

I get quite a bit of feedback, but mostly from people who randomly stumble upon it from YouTube and have little knowledge on the character(s) I am portraying.

I would love to hear what any of you think.

I am also considering starting a short blog type video 'diary' of sorts, done in the character of Gollum/Smeagol... Which would be done in a comedic farce style of course. If this is something that I end up doing and becomes a popular idea, I would love to involve many of you here in developing the script for such a project.

Enjoy the video, and let me know what you think!!!

-Tyler
www.TylerMichaelJonsson.com

(This post was edited by Fazumar on Feb 27 2007, 12:56am)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 27 2007, 1:14am

Post #2 of 7 (78 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORn, Fazumar! [In reply to] Can't Post

WOW! Great job! You definitely have the voice down pat, but the emotion and acting behind the voice was what really made it excellent.

The only feedback I have, and it's very minor, is perhaps to change your body position a little more between the two characters, i.e., turn to the left when you're Gollum and to the right when you're Smeagol. It's obvious from your voice that there are two distinct characters but more of a change in your position would help it be more obvious to people who haven't seen the movie as many times as I have Blush, or as many times as some other folks around here, *cough* gramma *cough.* Laugh You *did* change postions quite a lot, but lost track of it a little when you were on a roll.

It seems like a great piece to use in auditions and I wish you luck with it!

The blog idea sounds cute!

Again, welcome to the boards! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

(This post was edited by Altaira on Feb 27 2007, 1:15am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 27 2007, 3:07am

Post #3 of 7 (56 views)
Shortcut
That's "precious"! [In reply to] Can't Post

Love your Gollum voices! My only comments are the same as Altaira's: make sure there's a distinct turning to the left when doing Smeagol.

This must blow people away when you do it in person!

Best of luck, and keep us posted on the blog project!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Still 'round the corner there may wait
A new road, or a secret gate...

PipeSmoke
The Shire

Feb 27 2007, 4:02am

Post #4 of 7 (54 views)
Shortcut
Very well done [In reply to] Can't Post

Nicely done! very impressive.

Lossefalme
Gondor

Feb 27 2007, 5:12am

Post #5 of 7 (44 views)
Shortcut
Well, I'm impressed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well done. I always thought that Gollum/Smeagol would be one of the most fun characters to play and it looks as though you're enjoying yourself. I guess my only comment is that you do a great Andy Serkis as Gollum, but this doesn't really showcase your own spin on Gollum (if you have one). Don't get me wrong; I can't do it in any way shape or form and you do a really terrific job, I just thought I would throw that out there. Good luck with your future endeavors and keep us posted (pardon the pun Tongue).

(Formerly Lossefalme3, just in case you're *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Aragorn threw back his cloak. The elven-sheath glittered as he grasped it, and the bright blade of Andúril shone like a sudden flame as he swept it out. 'Elendil!' he cried. 'I am Aragorn son of Arathorn, and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dúnadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil's son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again! Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!' TTT, Book III, Chapter 2
And Éomer answered: 'Since the day when you rose before me out of the green grass of the downs I have loved you, and that love shall not fail.' RotK, Book VI, Chapter 5

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 27 2007, 3:30pm

Post #6 of 7 (42 views)
Shortcut
*still smiling* That was fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just a smidge into your video I found myself in a full-glown smile and caught up in your work! Well done! *applause*

Notes I scribbled along the way:

You didn't rush. That's so hard to keep track of, but I didn't catch any anticipation of what your next move would be. You were "in the moment" for each of your character's actions and emotions. Way cool!

Inflections: Your voice and features fit... you weren't trying to BE Andy Serkis' Gollum/Smeagol, but your impersonation of them was wonderful, and your inflections just different enough to make it fresh and yours.

Features/mannerism: I'm a hands/arms person... I notice those sometimes before hair, size, etc... and your use of gestures and facial features were great! Maybe a little towards the middle of the skit did you seem to fix mainly on voice and face while your hands were stable... but it wasn't enough to distract me from the mood and tempo!

I love how civilized you are even in the throes of this. You gollum/cough into your hand/fist. That had me shaking my head and smiling fersher! "He's a gentleman."

Wonderful focus. I could hear voices and noises in the background, and it didn't distract you at all that I could tell. Considering you were working with a stagnant shot and fixed camera, I though you did a great job with your movements. Others have mentioned maybe being a bit more pronounced in your physicality for Gollum/Smeagol, but considering how limited you were in your space, I didn't have too much trouble with it.

I WILL have trouble putting myself in the head-space of someone NOT familiar with the character in terms of using this for an introduction of your talent. Maybe, in character, you can preclude this with a bit of Smeagol's distress of being transformed by the Ring... or starting out with more of a Smeagol character where the intensity of Gollum would have more of an impact. This is not to say what you've done isn't effective. It's excellent! I'm just trying to think of a way to ease the unenlightened into seeing a tormented characters split-apart by the influence of evil.

I visited your website for a second, and saw your stills from Dark Side, etc. You see to have an animated presence that tells a lot of what's going on just by your body language and facial features. I'm going to go back for a longer visit during lunch... but my overall impression of this clip and your work is "WAY COOL, DUDE!"

Thanks for this... and best of luck! I think you'll do extremely well!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 28 2007, 3:01am

Post #7 of 7 (76 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very well done!

I see that others have suggested turning more when alternating between Gollum and Smeagol. However, the audience still needs to see your face. In a live setting, you probably could make more of a change in position and still end up with your face clearly visible. But what would be really cool for the video version would be to record from two different points of view and intercut.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.