Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Calling Ruxendil_Thoorg and hoping

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Nov 7 2012, 4:24pm

Post #1 of 12 (172 views)
Shortcut
Calling Ruxendil_Thoorg and hoping Can't Post

you and your family are O.K.! Evil

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Nov 8 2012, 5:43am

Post #2 of 12 (98 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, yes! i was just about to post. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just tonight, power back! Warmth and light, refrig and pumps back!

Just in time bc (a) it started snowing today and (b) the generator stopped working today! And more water in the basement than before, as a result.

I was outside, in the dark, all bundled up, in the snow, with my newly obtained socket wrench and a new spark plug, just about to try to change the spark plug on the generator (something I am not used to doing) when *brightness* Alleluiah!!!

So that makes nine days to get power back. It was not fun and it was scary. I felt powerless... uh, in every sense of the word. It was really cold, especially past few nights. I pray that everybody else gets restored too. Unfortunately there are still many who are not, and many who have lost everything. So though I have complained, I am grateful it wasn't worse and for the help and support my family and I have received.

Thank you everybody who posted your kind, good wishes and who sent your thoughts.

Ethel, I enjoyed your Balin's Song for Bilbo, thanks for writing it! Smile I have been meaning to add to it. I was never able to before during my blackout, always had to conserve the batteries on my smartphone. I actually started writing my bit, on a spare bit of scrap I found in the car while I was waiting in line for gas (a whole 'nother story). Needs work though. I hope to post it soon.

Cheers!

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 8 2012, 6:27am

Post #3 of 12 (61 views)
Shortcut
That is good news [In reply to] Can't Post

I am so glad you have the power back on. It certainly makes a world of difference. I know what you mean about feeling 'powerless' We all know how dependent we are on electricity, but it really is a horrible shock when you have to live the experience of being without it for a prolonged period of time. And you have chilly temperatures and even snow to add into that mix.
Hang on in there. One step at a time, that's the way. Smile

And now you have the power back on, you can hang out here!

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 8 2012, 6:39am

Post #4 of 12 (103 views)
Shortcut
Give that girl a medal [In reply to] Can't Post

Honestly, Ethel, you are a total star. I could PM this to you but I am going to write it here because I want it seen.
Ever since the ground started shaking in my neck of the woods, you have been a constant support.
11,000 earthquakes later you are still checking in to see how I am and how things are going here. I know you are always supporting others too. And there are lots more people just like you in this place. It really is a community.

I am not at all surprised that you are the person to start this thread. You always seem to remember who is going through a difficult time around here, and your caring words and gentle distractions are a real tonic in difficult times.

Take a bow. You are a wonderful human being.

I Heart TORn!

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Nov 8 2012, 8:13am

Post #5 of 12 (64 views)
Shortcut
Yay! So glad to hear you are safe! Stay warm :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Nov 8 2012, 8:16am

Post #6 of 12 (64 views)
Shortcut
Hear Hear! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Nov 8 2012, 3:48pm

Post #7 of 12 (44 views)
Shortcut
phew! Good to know you're fine :D, hope that water in the basement doesn't mess things :s // [In reply to] Can't Post

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 8 2012, 4:30pm

Post #8 of 12 (55 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad that you are okay! [In reply to] Can't Post

Stay warm and stay dry.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Nov 8 2012, 6:07pm

Post #9 of 12 (37 views)
Shortcut
I'll not say "What a relief" just yet, for fear of [In reply to] Can't Post

jinxing things with the Nor'easter. Oof. It's good to hear you're okay for now, and I hope things stay that way.

I heard from my ex in northern NJ last week; they were without power for most of the week but above the water and away from the coast, which is a relief, given my former m-i-l's age and disposition.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and the same Hobbit and Wizard back to Bag End by December 2013

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Nov 8 2012, 9:48pm

Post #10 of 12 (33 views)
Shortcut
Wheee! That's great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, 9 days. One for each person in the Fellowship, so now you're done!

And that's some timing, coming on just then. I would likely have electrocuted myself somehow, trying to restart an unfamiliar machine.

So, the Bilbo song was pretty off the cuff, but (as you know with these things) it kinda suggested itself, once I thought of Cat Stevens.LaughCan't wait to see your finished version!

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Nov 8 2012, 9:54pm

Post #11 of 12 (57 views)
Shortcut
Oh my. (Blushblushblushblush). I was actually inspired by others here on TORn [In reply to] Can't Post

that I noticed when I first joined, who would all chime in and offer support to people undergoing surgery/losing jobs/Fear, Fire, Foes, or anything where people were "under it" in some way. I was so impressed, I knew immediately this was a unique place, and not only on the internet!

Thanks to all of you!SmileSmileSmile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 8 2012, 11:34pm

Post #12 of 12 (89 views)
Shortcut
That's good to hear! [In reply to] Can't Post

And right in the nick of time - I hope the generator was an easy fix, it's always good to have those ready for the next storm.

Welcome back to the world of lights and heat and hot water! Smile May we never cease to appreciate these!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.