Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What is the biggest thrill-seeking adrenaline rush you have experienced?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Nov 7 2012, 9:36pm

Post #51 of 63 (66 views)
Shortcut
So that's what happened to that cabin! Or was it a different one? [In reply to] Can't Post

The rangers cabin up at Chasm, at the base of the cliff where you can scramble up to the actual lake? It was gone and the rangers said something about an avalanche. I suppose it was the same one?

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Nov 7 2012, 9:44pm

Post #52 of 63 (68 views)
Shortcut
It sloped not only down, but as I remember, part of it [In reply to] Can't Post

sloped down slightly sideways, towards the drop off. That's why I sat my way down for that part. It feels much more secure and really wasn't bad at all that way. I think anything like that is easier in one's teens because the actual consequences don't seem quite as "real" as you realize they are when you're older!

The rope ladder thing sounds like the Adirondacks or possibly Mesa Verde. Have you ever hiked in those areas? I wouldn't like the idea of other people taking me out like that! That's one reason I've never wanted to do any technical climbing. Plus an irrational feeling that I'd rather trust my own two hands on a rock face than pitons or whatever they use now. Which means there is a lot I'm missing, I'm sure!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 7 2012, 9:45pm

Post #53 of 63 (64 views)
Shortcut
I loved the view [In reply to] Can't Post

of the valley below, a couple of thousand feet down. It felt just like flying.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 7 2012, 9:47pm

Post #54 of 63 (66 views)
Shortcut
Yep, that's the one. [In reply to] Can't Post

We were up there this summer and they've built a new one, IIRC. I'll have to go look at my photos. For a couple of years they just had the equipment in a tent, with a note asking people not to disturb it, and apparently it worked.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Nov 7 2012, 9:53pm

Post #55 of 63 (68 views)
Shortcut
I think that water bottle would've sent me packing! [In reply to] Can't Post

Boy the rangers would have been hopping mad about whoever dropped that! That's courage you should get a medal for, continuing after that!Smile

I think what helped me was having all those kids from the music camp as a group ("well they seem fine with it, so it must be doable"), plus an experienced guide. But I still couldn't believe they let normal people on such a narrow, very hard rock (and therefore slippery) surface with such a drop. I kept thinking, "well, the grownups let everyone do this, so it must be safer than it looks. Not sure I agree though . . ." Of course, I have no regrets because nothing happened. But I highly recommend the "scoot on the rear" approach to going down it. Going up wasn't quite as bad somehow.

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Nov 7 2012, 9:54pm

Post #56 of 63 (75 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I do remember that. I feel that way [In reply to] Can't Post

a lot out there.Smile

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 7 2012, 10:18pm

Post #57 of 63 (87 views)
Shortcut
We went down on "all fives" too. [In reply to] Can't Post

To me that seemed easier than going up. Maybe because I could at least breathe.

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Nov 7 2012, 11:47pm

Post #58 of 63 (62 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, that hit me at the boulder field [In reply to] Can't Post

about half-way up it. I can't remember how I felt when we got even higher! I was 15 the first time, when they still had the cables, and although that seemed grueling, it was shorter. But what a shock having to come down the normal way! (They wouldn't let us go down the cables for some reason). The next time I went, the cables were gone and we had to go up and down through the keyhole and all. :(

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 7 2012, 11:50pm

Post #59 of 63 (79 views)
Shortcut
I get so annoyed now when I see the fences everywhere [In reply to] Can't Post

when the whole rationale for taking out the cables was that they weren't "natural". As my kids would say, watoof?

Delrond
Rohan

Nov 7 2012, 11:54pm

Post #60 of 63 (76 views)
Shortcut
Not yet, [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't even been there.Smile

My main climb to date was in NC's High Country - Grandfather Mountain. It's pretty tame by comparison to the Rockies, but still is good hike to the top. Took my brother, 2 of his kids and me
~7 hours to get there. Total elevation change was about 3000 feet, but the path took us several miles meandering up the mountain. The real fun began when it went from trails to rocks. One recommendation - wear good shoes.

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 8 2012, 12:13am

Post #61 of 63 (102 views)
Shortcut
Most of our pictures were double-exposures. [In reply to] Can't Post

Uncle Baggins took his old Argus camera, which you had to wind manually or it would take a double exposure, and he was so distracted with everything he kept forgetting to wind it. He took several panoramas, which he then mounted on a piece of cardboard. It's somewhere down in the basement. I hope the cats didn't pee on it. So that's why I linked to the google search page for Longs Peak Narrows instead.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 8 2012, 3:14am

Post #62 of 63 (73 views)
Shortcut
We were only at 10000 ft [In reply to] Can't Post

Jumped out of an old Cesna 170 tail dragger. At that height the earth is so far away that you lose all sense of distance and size... the ground looks unreal and like you can just reach out and touch it... if you catch my meaning.

The free fall was the best part -- after the shoot was deployed it became a lot like gliding (the mechanics are basically the same) which I had done several times prior to that.

The build up to the jump was interesting as well. I tricked myself by viewing the whole thing upside down: rather than falling down to the surface I looked at it as swimming up to the surface (as if from under water). I was actually so relaxed that by the time we got in the plane my instructor was a little skittish, thought I had a death wish or something I guess Laugh

ETA: Actually I am more nervous at the edges of cliffs and other elevations where the earth below is still close enough for you to see exactly where you will land should you fall.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Nov 8 2012, 3:17am)

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 12 2012, 12:12am

Post #63 of 63 (105 views)
Shortcut
I once [In reply to] Can't Post

got stuck underground in a cave during a pot-holing expedition, but it was no where near as traumatic as
my husband putting sugar in my espresso this morning.... that was bad.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.