Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New still of Kili, Bilbo and Fili
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Nov 7 2012, 4:42am

Post #26 of 38 (336 views)
Shortcut
you guys [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we are going to be so devestated by film three regarding fili and kili.

Unsure

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

RaoulJ
Rivendell

Nov 7 2012, 7:34am

Post #27 of 38 (275 views)
Shortcut
About daytime [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes 'nighttime' is filmed with the lights on, later in postproduction it is transferred to night (with blues, darkening, underexposing etc), called "Day for Night" or "American Night" (just like the Truffaut-movie).

And this is a picture shot by the production-photographer, maybe even at the time of a rehearsel.. (so he is not using the exact same settings as the Red Epics).

We do have seen the fight of the Dwarves and the Trolls, shot in a nightsetting, so I am thinking this is just some rehearsel/production-photograph.

Dlanor da Great
Rivendell

Nov 7 2012, 7:39am

Post #28 of 38 (290 views)
Shortcut
Maybe Disappearing ponies is more menacing than simply seeing a fire in the distance.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Its all about movie pacing. Keep the threat level high, whether you have orks tracking them through the movie or ponies mysteriously disappearing. Changes sometimes have to be made for the sake of keeping a audience enthralled.
I understand that those who are purists or just people who developed a firm vision of what they want to see, are going to be wary, but the movie has to be made with a wider audience in mind. Some people who dont love the books arent going to want to sit through things that a book lover would.
Most people are expecting an action fantasy movie. Not a long documentary on the history of Middle-earth.
Some of you dont think "Riddles in the dark" is not dark enough or scary enough. But most people probably dont want to look at a black screen listening to riddles for 15 minutes or Maybe PJ doesnt want to scare kids away from the gollum we know.
Maybe you hate Legolas stunts. But Many people love them.
People I know who arent fans of LOTR movies tend to have the opinion that they were too long and slow.
Alot of people here tend to want a long slow paced movie. Thats not a good idea, IMO.
My point, the movies brought me in to this world. I hadnt even heard of LOTR before I saw the movies.
So like the movies or not, it will bring more people to discover Tolkien.
And the more lucrative these movies are, the more we are bound to get from the Tolkien world in the future.
All of you have to look at the big picture and stop being so rigid and just understand that if there was a change from the book, then it probably was for a good reason.
You think PJ is just trying to piss you off or something???

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 7 2012, 7:55am

Post #29 of 38 (266 views)
Shortcut
It does make me more worried [In reply to] Can't Post

I know full well the talking purse is silly. But just look at the last trailer ... it's full of silliness. The talking purse would've fitted in fine.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 7 2012, 7:57am

Post #30 of 38 (283 views)
Shortcut
I don't mind the pony addition (as long as it makes sense) [In reply to] Can't Post

But why replace a purse for a knife? Why not have Bilbo open a bag, and show a purse. No talking required. The Troll feels something behind him, and it's Bilbo.

Removes the silliness factor, but keeps true to Tolkien.

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Nov 7 2012, 8:20am

Post #31 of 38 (284 views)
Shortcut
Love how stout the two Dwarves are looking. [In reply to] Can't Post

This could possibly be the most Dwarvish Kili has ever looked so far.That Stern look on his face is very Dwarven IMO. Cool
No offense but it would have turned the movie into sesame street or the muppets if the purse started talking.It's better they leave it out.Wink

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Nov 7 2012, 8:23am)

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 7 2012, 8:27am

Post #32 of 38 (300 views)
Shortcut
Because steeling a purse would make Bilbo look even more dumb? [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, what would you hope to gain?

Bilbo may need to acquire a weapon because he is unarmed.

This would serve as a set up for him to be given Sting.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

(This post was edited by Fardragon on Nov 7 2012, 8:30am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 7 2012, 8:35am

Post #33 of 38 (234 views)
Shortcut
He doesn't have to steal anything [In reply to] Can't Post

Have a bag either on the ground, close to the Trolls, or on one of the Trolls. Bilbo wants to prove that he's a burglar, so plans to steal something. He opens the bag, there's a knife and a purse. The Trolls hear him. And we know the rest ...

HiddenSpring
Lorien

Nov 7 2012, 11:25am

Post #34 of 38 (225 views)
Shortcut
Celebrian in flashbacks? [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrian's fate would be a nice catalyst for Elrond and Galadriel's involvement in the upcoming battle. Hope we see her in some form!

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 7 2012, 4:27pm

Post #35 of 38 (170 views)
Shortcut
I'm reading the Visual Companion right now [In reply to] Can't Post

And it turns out the reason they send Bilbo is because they see a fire in the distance Wink

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 7 2012, 5:02pm

Post #36 of 38 (171 views)
Shortcut
I haven't said it for a while but just so you know I'm not fickle.... [In reply to] Can't Post

We don't need no stinkin purses.

LR

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 7 2012, 5:03pm

Post #37 of 38 (157 views)
Shortcut
Right, the fact that we saw them shooting the Trollshaw at night [In reply to] Can't Post

made me wonder why this appears to be from the daytime. Of course day for night or (IMO more probably) rehearsal footage would explain it.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 7 2012, 5:21pm

Post #38 of 38 (186 views)
Shortcut
A talking knife will still do me ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.