Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Tolkien Illustrated: Fan Art I--What is Fan Art?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 28 2007, 1:12am

Post #26 of 41 (240 views)
Shortcut
Maybe by week's end... [In reply to] Can't Post

we'll have come up with a new term, after following the rest of your discussion. (Right now the question seems to be: what is not "fan art"?) You're off to a good start.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

Feb. 26-Mar. 4: Fan Artistry.

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 28 2007, 1:31am

Post #27 of 41 (271 views)
Shortcut
Fan art is just art based on someone else's, er, art [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile
That is, it's one artist's interpretation of some other artist's work.

So fan art can be based on someone's writings, or someone's movie, or someone's painting, etc. But the art is derived from another artist's work directly and in context.

Generally it seems fan "art" means pictoral media, at least it seems to me. Or else it orginally included things we now call "fan fiction" but the two are now separated. Dunno, out of my league.

It also generally means artwork that is not commissioned, vs. art work that is requested and paid for by someone.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Everybody's wondering what and where they all came from.
Everybody's worried 'bout where they're gonna go when the whole thing's done.
No one knows for certain, and so it's all the same to me:
I think I'll just let the mystery be.
~~~~Iris DeMent

Owlyross
Rohan

Feb 28 2007, 10:46am

Post #28 of 41 (217 views)
Shortcut
I saw that same programme [In reply to] Can't Post

And yeah, the artist places their own fears, hopes and desires on the paper as much as they try to serve the story. Or, in the case of the renaissance, they painted what they were told to and tried to retain some of their individuality through common themes.

Is it then the case that fan art can be that art which serves to illustrate purely the text and feel of the author, and doesn't try to push any of the artist's ideas, thoughts, and opinions into it. In which case, fan art doesn't sound that interesting, as it's the human need to create something that speaks to them that makes these paintings so beautiful. And possibly why I feel so cool about Tolkien's illustrations... It's not that they're bad, but all they do is illustrate, I prefer that art speaks to me in some way, through the subtext or otherwise.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

Reera the Red
Rivendell

Feb 28 2007, 10:54am

Post #29 of 41 (238 views)
Shortcut
Oh, my goodness. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Does anyone remember the term "fan art" being used before the internet became popular?

Someone has never been to a con art show...

Yes, fan art (and by that name) has been around for a long time before the Internet became a tool of the masses. It was published in zines and displayed at art shows at fan cons (and still is.) The Internet made it easy to distribute to a broader audience, for better or for worse (as has also been the case with fanfic), but fandom really did manage to exist and thrive before people had personal computers.

Reera the Red
Rivendell

Feb 28 2007, 11:08am

Post #30 of 41 (255 views)
Shortcut
What I've read about that one... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is that it was intended as a joke. It was submitted to the calendar as a prank, and the prankster himself (whose identity I do not know) was much surprised when it was chosen and ended up being published in the calendar. That's why there's nothing else around by the "Brothers Gentile".

Now, that makes a certain amount of sense, but it leaves the question of why the calendar publishers picked it and whether they were taking it seriously or not.

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Mar 1 2007, 3:46am

Post #31 of 41 (206 views)
Shortcut
we had a lengthy discussion on that [In reply to] Can't Post

two weeks ago in this thread:

http://www.theonering.net/...5D2EE4800026B39.html

Websites Directory, my drawings,Aloha & Mahalo

Nienna: those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." Valaquenta

squire
Half-elven

Mar 1 2007, 4:52am

Post #32 of 41 (218 views)
Shortcut
That's very funny! and explains a lot. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

FarFromHome
Valinor

Mar 1 2007, 9:11am

Post #33 of 41 (198 views)
Shortcut
Woah! [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems like fan-art is much like fan-fic - ranging from the sublime to the I-wish-I'd-never-seen-that!

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

FarFromHome
Valinor

Mar 1 2007, 9:45am

Post #34 of 41 (203 views)
Shortcut
"Illustrating purely the text" [In reply to] Can't Post

sounds to me like a good definition of "illustration" as opposed to "pure" art. I get the impression that fan-art is created by people who do feel inspired by the stories they are illustrating, and who are trying to bring something of their own feelings towards the material into their art, just as "real" artists do. That doesn't necessarily mean their art is any better though - in fact, it's a much harder thing than simple illustration, which means, I guess, that you can fail much more spectacularly!

That's why I'm inclined to think that there are various ways to judge the efforts we're seeing in these threads, and that we're not always clear what criteria we're judging by. For example, the Brothers Hildebrandt were heavily criticised for not being accurate to the story, and for breaking the fundamental rules of realistic drawing/illustrating. However, looked at in their historical context of American mid-20th century popular art, rather than as Tolkien illustrators, they might seem more interesting (I don't know if they would, I don't know enough about American popular art to say!).

"Fan-art" should perhaps be judged on whether it adds something to what we already know, about the story it's illustrating or about the underlying themes of the story. It's not necessarily a question of amateur status - in the history of art there have been some very interesting "naif" painters who break all the rules simply because they don't know any better, and yet produce stunning work (actually you could almost call Tolkien a "naif" writer in terms of his novelistic abilities).

"Illustration", on the other hand, should be as true as possible to the story it's illustrating, IMO, which is limiting, and as you say makes it less interesting in itself. But perhaps the best illustrators, like Alan Lee for example, are able to combine accurate illustration with a personal vision that raises their work to another level. I guess we'll see later, when we get to him!

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

Owlyross
Rohan

Mar 1 2007, 12:39pm

Post #35 of 41 (199 views)
Shortcut
Maybe Fan Art has become a catch-all [In reply to] Can't Post

Which doesn't really mean anything, and certainly doesn't have its own distinct style.

The Hildebrants come from the school of comic-book illustration and fantasy-art, that's where their other illustrations seem to come from. I guess they used that "heroic" tradition and mixed it with Disney-esque fairy-tales because that's what they thought worked. And also explains why they didn't stick to "artistic tradition" as they weren't working within it.

"Illustration", on the other hand, should be as true as possible to the story it's illustrating, IMO, which is limiting, and as you say makes it less interesting in itself. But perhaps the best illustrators, like Alan Lee for example, are able to combine accurate illustration with a personal vision that raises their work to another level. I guess we'll see later, when we get to him!

Too true. And my favourite Tolkien artist, Ted Naismith does the same. His pictures are unmistakeably his, because they have a certain tone and style to them. And almost all Tolkien artists add something to the story, as there's so little description of characters.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 3 2007, 5:18am

Post #36 of 41 (181 views)
Shortcut
We don't need a special term for it. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just art.

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 3 2007, 5:21am

Post #37 of 41 (196 views)
Shortcut
But that same description applies to [In reply to] Can't Post

professional illustration and much of what we call "fine art," as well. That's why "fan art" is a meaningless term.

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 3 2007, 5:24am

Post #38 of 41 (191 views)
Shortcut
Great point. [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course an artist doesn't need to be a "fan" to do justice to a subject (any subject). They just need to understand the subject and have the necessary skills.

a.s.
Valinor

Mar 4 2007, 4:01pm

Post #39 of 41 (184 views)
Shortcut
maybe we need to keep the "non-paid" part... [In reply to] Can't Post

that is, the statement that it's art based on another person's art needs to have something added to it, because as you point out it could include illustrators, etc.

Maybe the only definition of "fan art" is that it is art based on another artist's work done solely in homage, and not for purposes of renumeration.

Something along those lines...

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Everybody's wondering what and where they all came from.
Everybody's worried 'bout where they're gonna go when the whole thing's done.
No one knows for certain, and so it's all the same to me:
I think I'll just let the mystery be.
~~~~Iris DeMent

Saelind
Lorien

Mar 4 2007, 5:06pm

Post #40 of 41 (184 views)
Shortcut
fan art [In reply to] Can't Post

I, too, have been to many a con art show even worked a few. I tend to define fan art as art done by an amateur or semi-professional artist. Someone that is not being paid specifically by a publisher to produce a cover, game card etc. There is a wide range of styles and quality. What separates art from illustration? Good question. Because illustration can be defined as subject-specific. "I want you (the artist) to paint a cover for this story." And I have seen illustrations that to me, qualify as art that I would want hanging on my walls. My mom owns quite a bit of high quality sf art, alot of which are book covers or interior pictures. Are these just illustrations or are they art or are they both?

Goldie Took
The Shire

Mar 5 2007, 10:57pm

Post #41 of 41 (218 views)
Shortcut
as a fan artist [In reply to] Can't Post

myself I wonder, as I'm mostly inspired by stories and myths, is everything I do "fan art?"
the piece I'm currently working on is of a Shinto Goddess, the previous was my interpretation of Little Red

of course sometimes the stories are my own.. then it isn't fan art.. but its illustration not "pure art " lol!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.