The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
IGN set visit

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 28 2012, 11:49am

Post #1 of 22 (1479 views)
Shortcut
IGN set visit Can't Post

Not sure if this has been posted before, but admins can delete it if it has Tongue

http://uk.ign.com/...ed-journey-set-visit

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Oct 28 2012, 11:50am)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 28 2012, 4:00pm

Post #2 of 22 (739 views)
Shortcut
Looks like in the movie Gandalf will meet Bilbo years before the quest... [In reply to] Can't Post

Which works with my theory that the "creepy Bilbo" picture is actually a de-aged Martin Freeman. Question is, will this segment be a flashback or an intro?

"Gandalf, Jackson explained, "loves hobbits, he remembers hobbits are very insular and they're very contained. They're suspicious of the outside world and he just remembers this young Bilbo Baggins as a young child who was the one hobbit that he sees that loves adventure likes danger, loves scary stories. That has a more outgoing spirit, and when he wants a hobbit to be a burglar on this adventure he returns to Hobbiton many years later and he finds Bilbo. He deliberately hunts down Bilbo, because that's the hobbit who he thinks would be the best one to pick for this. He's appalled and shocked to find at the end of 18 years Bilbo's become stuffy, and ultra conservative, and not at all like the little boy that he remembers. So that's the beginning of their relationship really.""

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Oct 28 2012, 4:03pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 28 2012, 4:42pm

Post #3 of 22 (677 views)
Shortcut
Even younger? [In reply to] Can't Post

The quote says he's a little boy. That creepy picture doesn't show a little boy?

Is there a 3rd actor playing Bilbo?

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Oct 28 2012, 4:51pm)

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Oct 28 2012, 4:48pm

Post #4 of 22 (680 views)
Shortcut
Heh [In reply to] Can't Post

It has just occured to me that all these set visits (Empire, Collider, Io9, IGN etc.) are from just one big group press event and therefore all the reports and interviews are basically identical :}

* crunch *

Carne
Tol Eressea

Oct 28 2012, 5:12pm

Post #5 of 22 (653 views)
Shortcut
I don't think Empire was there with the other groups [In reply to] Can't Post

As they have a lot more exclusive info compared to the others.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 28 2012, 6:03pm

Post #6 of 22 (642 views)
Shortcut
I am thinking they must show several stages of encounters of Gandalf and younger Bilbos. [In reply to] Can't Post

As the quote says 18 years back, and there is no way Bilbo, at 50 or even at 40 could be considered a little boy just 18 years prior. Even 18 from 30 would have made Bilbo a BIG boy on the edge of full adolescence. My best guess is, we will see Gandalf and child Bilbo (hence those party pictures, and the old gent I and a few others earlier surmised to be Old Geriontus Took), and again later, with Bilbo as a young man, at The Old Took's funeral.

In Reply To
The quote says he's a little boy. That creepy picture doesn't show a little boy?

Is there a 3rd actor playing Bilbo?

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 28 2012, 6:09pm

Post #7 of 22 (615 views)
Shortcut
Me being one of them ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
My best guess is, we will see Gandalf and child Bilbo (hence those party pictures, and the old gent I and a few others earlier surmised to be Old Geriontus Took), and again later, with Bilbo as a young man, at The Old Took's funeral.

Perhaps not The Old Took's funeral though.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 28 2012, 7:37pm

Post #8 of 22 (565 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps a chance to meet Bilbo's parents? [In reply to] Can't Post

On a side note: I had a theory of Bilbo carrying a picture of his parents to show his Tookish and Baggins sides. But this has been proven wrong in the Empire article. Where the pictures are confirmed to be Glóin's wife and young Gimli. Can't be right every-time Tongue

Mauricio
Bree

Oct 28 2012, 7:40pm

Post #9 of 22 (573 views)
Shortcut
Creepy Bilbo? [In reply to] Can't Post

Which pic is it? Could you put up a link please?

Ardamírë
Valinor

Oct 28 2012, 7:42pm

Post #10 of 22 (561 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf women [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to be seeing a picture of Gloin's wife. Hope to see plenty of dwarf women in these movies. I'm dying to see what they look like!

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 28 2012, 7:45pm

Post #11 of 22 (563 views)
Shortcut
He's got his eye on you... [In reply to] Can't Post

http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/...80547898735_hres.jpg

Unimpressed

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 28 2012, 7:47pm

Post #12 of 22 (557 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

A very disappointing uniformity to them all.

And seemingly little to no new photographs!

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 29 2012, 4:15am

Post #13 of 22 (459 views)
Shortcut
Indeed, you were, my friend. [In reply to] Can't Post

Indeed you were. Cool

In Reply To

In Reply To
My best guess is, we will see Gandalf and child Bilbo (hence those party pictures, and the old gent I and a few others earlier surmised to be Old Geriontus Took), and again later, with Bilbo as a young man, at The Old Took's funeral.

Perhaps not The Old Took's funeral though.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 29 2012, 3:52pm

Post #14 of 22 (412 views)
Shortcut
Well, we know that Gandalf was acquainted with Bilbo's mother... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien tells us that Belladonna Took and her two sisters were remarkable girls, known for having adventurous streaks. Bilbo, himself, has fond memories of Gandalf, his stories and his fireworks, from his own boyhood. It only makes sense that Bilbo first came to Gandalf's attention at that time.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Fardragon
Rohan

Oct 29 2012, 3:59pm

Post #15 of 22 (404 views)
Shortcut
"Bilbo - I am your father." [In reply to] Can't Post

Nooooooooooooooooo!

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 29 2012, 4:01pm

Post #16 of 22 (396 views)
Shortcut
Ya just had ta go there, didn't ya... [In reply to] Can't Post

Unsure

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Elenorflower
Gondor

Oct 29 2012, 4:53pm

Post #17 of 22 (392 views)
Shortcut
I found this interesting, [In reply to] Can't Post

''Bilbo finds himself in possession of The One Ring during the course of this trilogy, but those unfamiliar with the book shouldn't expect the ring to be as prominent in The Hobbit as it was in Lord of the Rings. Still, Freeman believes the One Ring "definitely has an effect on (Bilbo). Maybe I shouldn't say how much of it is negative or positive, but it's clear that it has a pull on him, that would be recognizable from The Lord of The Rings. But it takes a different turn. I suppose 'cause The Hobbit is slightly lighter and it's more of a family affair, so it's not quite as dark. But it doesn't mean the stakes aren't there. It definitely still has to matter that he is in possession of this thing. And I think a lot of the time, even he doesn't realize why he wants to hold onto it so much, but there is an unspoken hold that it has on him, an unconscious hold."

thats quite an interesting bit of info, the Ring is not the powerful object of LOTR, but it still has an unconscious pull on him, which would be true. Its not a fluffy kitten is it? Its bound to subtly alter him, making him not age, and maybe telling a few porkies to Gandalf.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 29 2012, 7:27pm

Post #18 of 22 (371 views)
Shortcut
Can't happen [In reply to] Can't Post

As it seems quite obvious that the Necromancer is Bilbo's father.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Oct 29 2012, 7:32pm

Post #19 of 22 (363 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

Galadriel is Bilbo's father.

Crazy

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 29 2012, 7:35pm

Post #20 of 22 (356 views)
Shortcut
Let me help [In reply to] Can't Post

Noooooooo

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Oct 29 2012, 8:12pm

Post #21 of 22 (355 views)
Shortcut
This is an intervention... [In reply to] Can't Post

Etc etc etc...

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 29 2012, 8:31pm

Post #22 of 22 (349 views)
Shortcut
So it was actually Galadriel's recommendation to Gandalf to send Bilbo on the Quest [In reply to] Can't Post

She does get around!Shocked

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.