Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Comedy!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 12 2012, 1:26am

Views: 369
Shortcut
Comedy! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I've never considered Bilbo's falling into the stream to be comedic - probably from nearly losing my footing myself at times, when walking over slick planks laid across small streams! But notice how this is an echo of his barrel-riding episode, with a soaking, invisible Bilbo sneezing from his chill. Here, however, he wants to be - in fact, needs to be - "caught".

You're right that, now that our hobbit has faced Smaug, he has the courage to face nearly everything. And Tolkien did state, of his heading down the tunnel the first time: "Going on from there was the bravest thing he ever did." Bilbo no longer has timidity.

Now that's a point, how is it that this rustic Elven-king was "used to things of wonder and beauty", living in his cave! But considering his age, I'd say that he's done considerable trade in the past with the Dwarves of Erebor, and of Moria, as well as the craftsmen of Men, and has a nice little collection of bling. Note that Bilbo's mithril-coat was "wrought for some young elf-prince long ago": perhaps even for Legolas? But it does serve as proof of Elf-Dwarf trade.

I like your notion that Gandalf's sudden reappearance at this point serves to reassure Bilbo!

(And my condolences also to titanium hobbit!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Subject User Time
**A Thief in the Night** III - A rush to the end titanium_hobbit Send a private message to titanium_hobbit Oct 27 2012, 11:19am
    What's he got that I ain't got? Finding Frodo Send a private message to Finding Frodo Oct 28 2012, 3:34am
    Oh, I'm sorry! sador Send a private message to sador Oct 28 2012, 9:42am
        Comedy! dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Nov 12 2012, 1:26am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.