Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Blooper left in by mistake?

TheBladeGlowsBlue
Rivendell

Oct 26 2012, 12:30am

Post #1 of 17 (812 views)
Shortcut
Blooper left in by mistake? Can't Post

Maybe they thought we wouldn't notice...

Watching the ROTK recently I noticed a pretty big blooper during the battle of the Battle of Pelennor Fields - when the camera follows a chunk of rock from a catapult fired from Minas Tirith onto the orcs below - it would have to have been the size of a city block to take out so many ant-like orcs below!

And this from a director who prides himself on his clever use of perspective... Crazy

Did anyone else notice this, or any other bloopers that should have been edited out of the movies?

Flame of Udun
Rivendell

Oct 26 2012, 4:35am

Post #2 of 17 (445 views)
Shortcut
No..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you are seriously misjudging how many orcs got killed

"'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand. What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.''

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 26 2012, 5:23am

Post #3 of 17 (374 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

I was too busy cheering for the rock.

Squish, squish.

TheBladeGlowsBlue
Rivendell

Oct 26 2012, 6:11am

Post #4 of 17 (384 views)
Shortcut
i didn't mention... [In reply to] Can't Post

...how many orcs were slain, I merely pointed out the improbable size of the rock in relation to the orcs below it.

Especially in comparison to all the other rocks being used during the battle on both sides...

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 26 2012, 7:53am

Post #5 of 17 (345 views)
Shortcut
It was moving so fast [In reply to] Can't Post

That some of the rock disintegrated on it's way.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Tigero
Rivendell

Oct 26 2012, 8:45am

Post #6 of 17 (385 views)
Shortcut
Our world's physics definently would not have allowed for such a small catapult [In reply to] Can't Post

to fire kilometers away, let alone how the men would have loaded the catapult with such a heavt thing... and even less for the orcs to fire their projectiles so high up into the city.

Pessimists have no disappointments.

TheBladeGlowsBlue
Rivendell

Oct 26 2012, 11:14am

Post #7 of 17 (336 views)
Shortcut
The thought occurs... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that PJ made a pretty good job (for the most part) of keeping an element of 'realness' to the films, but occasionally let the fantastic elements of the subject matter to run away from him.

The impossibly large chunk of rock is a good example I think.

But, as a fan (as we all are I presume) of the films, I can live with these few lapses. I do hope though that the Hobbit is relatively 'grounded' in comparison...time will tell! Smile

Noel Q. von Schneiffel
Rivendell

Oct 26 2012, 11:44am

Post #8 of 17 (329 views)
Shortcut
Gravity [In reply to] Can't Post

One must take into account that Middle-earth had considerably lower gravity than Earth has today. This was because it was hollow inside (as Gandalf and the Balrog found out during their fall). So yes, they could haul bigger projectiles farther with smaller catapults.

The core of Earth was only filled in 4,400 B.C., roughly 2,000 years after the events of LotR, when this central cavity collapsed. Earth then shrank to its present size and acquired a higher average density (and thus higher gravity). This naturally led to a rising of the sea levels - because the water of the oceans had less area to spread over - and thus to the sinking of the old continents Mu and Lemuria, but that is another story.

I also think that this is what led to the disappearance of the dinosaurs. They were simply too heavy for the new high-gravity environment.

The Glorious Truth of J.R.R. Tolkien
Radiates from his Holy Writings

http://www.tolkientruth.info/

TheBladeGlowsBlue
Rivendell

Oct 26 2012, 12:07pm

Post #9 of 17 (308 views)
Shortcut
Now this... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
One must take into account that Middle-earth had considerably lower gravity than Earth has today. This was because it was hollow inside (as Gandalf and the Balrog found out during their fall). So yes, they could haul bigger projectiles farther with smaller catapults.

The core of Earth was only filled in 4,400 B.C., roughly 2,000 years after the events of LotR, when this central cavity collapsed. Earth then shrank to its present size and acquired a higher average density (and thus higher gravity). This naturally led to a rising of the sea levels - because the water of the oceans had less area to spread over - and thus to the sinking of the old continents Mu and Lemuria, but that is another story.

I also think that this is what led to the disappearance of the dinosaurs. They were simply too heavy for the new high-gravity environment.

...is a near-perfect example of the willing suspension of disbelief!

Well done... EvilSmileAngelicShockedLaugh

Tigero
Rivendell

Oct 26 2012, 12:22pm

Post #10 of 17 (324 views)
Shortcut
Still, catapults work with the principle of balance and leverage [In reply to] Can't Post

The weight that is onthe shorter end of the catapult must still weigh many times the projectile, and the catapults definently looked too flimsy to fire so big chunks of rock.

Your last argument is very valid tho Sly

Pessimists have no disappointments.

Noel Q. von Schneiffel
Rivendell

Oct 26 2012, 12:56pm

Post #11 of 17 (305 views)
Shortcut
It may have had something to do with the weight of the projectile, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps Minas Tirith was built entirely from pumice?

The Glorious Truth of J.R.R. Tolkien
Radiates from his Holy Writings

http://www.tolkientruth.info/

grinman
Rivendell

Oct 26 2012, 1:54pm

Post #12 of 17 (319 views)
Shortcut
Pumice?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Pumice was terrible for creating a defensible city, but all the women of Minas Tirith were renowned for their amazingly callous-free feet.

In Reply To

TheBladeGlowsBlue
Rivendell

Oct 27 2012, 1:05am

Post #13 of 17 (266 views)
Shortcut
*Chuckles* [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Pumice was terrible for creating a defensible city, but all the women of Minas Tirith were renowned for their amazingly callous-free feet.

In Reply To

I actually did a real LOL when I read that! Cool

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Oct 28 2012, 9:07am

Post #14 of 17 (236 views)
Shortcut
Saw this today [In reply to] Can't Post

you are right it was heeeeuuuuge, not sure how PJ could logically reconcile this. It was much, much bigger than a house, your claim of city block size might not be far wrong.

TheBladeGlowsBlue
Rivendell

Oct 30 2012, 1:18pm

Post #15 of 17 (221 views)
Shortcut
A slight exaggeration maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
you are right it was heeeeuuuuge, not sure how PJ could logically reconcile this. It was much, much bigger than a house, your claim of city block size might not be far wrong.

But unfortunately it was yet another example of PJ playing fast and loose with his hardcore fanbase...

Most normal moviegoers would have not raised an eyebrow, but a lot of the fans of Tolkien's work would no doubt have winced (as did I).

Maegnas aen estar nin dagnir in yngyl im

Soundchaser
The Shire

Jun 4 2013, 8:23pm

Post #16 of 17 (74 views)
Shortcut
I thought [In reply to] Can't Post

the angle of the shot was awesome, and didn't consider anything else. Now, I could be wrong, but weren't they using trebuchets, not catapults? A trebuchet has much more range than a catapult. I'll pay closer attention at my next viewing.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 4 2013, 8:32pm

Post #17 of 17 (75 views)
Shortcut
Correct. [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a homemade trebuchet throwing a car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9seapca1Vh0

Brother will fight brother and both be his slayer,
Brother and sister will violate all bonds of kinship;
Hard it will be in the world, there will be much failure of honor,
An age of axes, an age of swords, where shields are shattered,
An age of winds, an age of wolves, where the world comes crashing down;
No man will spare another.

-From the Völuspá, 13th Century

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.