Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
New Web Layout
Poll: New Web Layout
Yes  14 / 33%
No  8 / 19%
Kind Of 20 / 48%
42 total votes

Preciousssss
The Shire

Oct 18 2012, 5:27am

Post #1 of 19 (699 views)
Shortcut
New Web Layout Can't Post

Who likes the new web layout of TORn? I think it looks cool but a it's bit hard to navigate.Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 18 2012, 7:02am

Post #2 of 19 (417 views)
Shortcut
I like it! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's new and fresh - there's nothing wrong with change over time. Obviously it needs a few tweeks, but a new facelift for a new trilogy might be just what this place needs. Smile

(Not that I didn't like the other layout, of course).

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 18 2012, 3:02pm

Post #3 of 19 (361 views)
Shortcut
I like it [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'm reserving final judgement till the final product is in place.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Oct 18 2012, 3:47pm

Post #4 of 19 (373 views)
Shortcut
As of right now [In reply to] Can't Post

No.

But I'm sure I'll get used to it.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 18 2012, 3:59pm

Post #5 of 19 (354 views)
Shortcut
Kind Of [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the direction it is taking and will wait to commit to a real opinion until it is said to be final. I gather it's a work in progress at the moment.

The way things hang out in space off the left and right sides of the white space (ostensibly the "paper") makes it look amateurish and haphazard; unintegrated into something more cohesive. Everything on a webpage should look integrated and supported in a physical sense. The menus and graphics hanging off both sides appear to be defying gravity. So it looks awkward. That's my big complaint and suggestion for improvement at the moment. Compare with http://TheDigitalBits.com to see what I mean about an integrated layout.

The content and layout within the white space seems better thought out.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Oct 18 2012, 4:03pm)

Elizabeth
Valinor

Oct 18 2012, 7:42pm

Post #6 of 19 (358 views)
Shortcut
Hadn't noticed! [In reply to] Can't Post

The message boards haven't changed (yet), and that's where I hang out.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Oct 18 2012, 9:49pm

Post #7 of 19 (342 views)
Shortcut
I'll get used to it [In reply to] Can't Post

But I preferred the way the old one looked (was quite a surprise coming on today and the seeing the new look!). I just found it much easier to see all the latest news as you could could just scroll down daily to see the new items. But there's nothing wrong with the new design at all.

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 18 2012, 11:06pm

Post #8 of 19 (326 views)
Shortcut
I don't like black backgrounds [In reply to] Can't Post

So while I do agree that The Digital Bits has a nice layout within the white space, the black background around it turns me off.

And yes I understand that I can re-size my window to eliminate the black background. But I'd much rather just have a lighter background that I don't have to take an extra step to eliminate or work around.

Overall I prefer the look TORn is going with.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 18 2012, 11:33pm

Post #9 of 19 (347 views)
Shortcut
Background [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, TORN might like to use some sort of Middle Earth mural for a background like the one released for The Hobbit, but representing the entire history of Middle Earth in some way, from creation to whatever is told of the future. Is Arwen's death the last thing we are told of? Someone good at graphic art could do something up in less than a day; maybe a few hours.

Oh, and when I wrote, "The content and layout within the white space seems better thought out," I meant that about the TORN site as a comparison to what lies outside the white space - not as a comparison to TheDigitalBits.com. Reading my comment again now, it seems ambiguous. The content within TORN's white space looks pretty good. What lies outside the white space on TORN looks like they just put things there because it had no where else to go.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Oct 18 2012, 11:34pm)

Escapist
Gondor

Oct 19 2012, 12:05am

Post #10 of 19 (356 views)
Shortcut
I haven't gotten as used to the old webpage as some. [In reply to] Can't Post

However, this may be telling. I am suddenly feeling that TORn has many more features available than it had before which probably really means that the layout is working Cool.

I think the overall look is pretty appealing and has a bookish/scrollish feeling to it. I could imagine a few more artistic touches here and there to bring out more of the book/scroll feeling of things but that may not be necessary. I like the clicky menus between The Hobbit, LOTR, and the Library (and something else).

You made life difficult for yourself by choosing such contrasting colors for the background of text and then committing to a single color scheme for all the text (in my opinion). It may be possible to play with that a little bit more because if you make the green any darker then it will be too dark against the brown but I think it is already kind of light against the white (so is the grey). Is it really necessary for totally uniform colors? I know there should be a common color palette but it seems like the tweets and recent posts on the sides are a different kind of thing and could maybe have a different color than the main news stories so that it is as easy to read as possible.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 19 2012, 12:16am

Post #11 of 19 (329 views)
Shortcut
Contrast [In reply to] Can't Post

I like contrast because it makes things easier to read, especially if your demographic has any significant group of older (read: over 25) people. Color uniformity becomes more appreciated while attributes such as bold and point size can make headlines and titles stand out.

I guess I'm pushing for everything except the background to be entirely on the white page, so that would address almost all your concerns. You can do anything you want on white, except white text. And dark print on light paper is generally preferred for ease of reading and it is less fatiguing.

Escapist
Gondor

Oct 19 2012, 1:01am

Post #12 of 19 (329 views)
Shortcut
yes, contrast [In reply to] Can't Post

What about that same dark-brown leather color to replace the green against the white? Just a thought ... because that doesn't break with the nice color palette that is already there (and would give more contrast to the lettering against the white background - it would also differentiate between the news stories on the main scroll page and the side branches) ...

I agree about bolding (and you must have read my mind about the eye-strain and its impact on various people ... )

By the way, I love the fact that I don't have to scroll my browser down anymore to get to the message boards - just hover and click - nice!

sevilodorf
Gondor

Oct 19 2012, 2:14am

Post #13 of 19 (322 views)
Shortcut
in the minority on this [In reply to] Can't Post

but I don't get here through the home page just have the message board bookmarked. If something makes a big enough splash on the message board I'll go to home to see it.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 19 2012, 3:12am

Post #14 of 19 (363 views)
Shortcut
if the 'you' you are addressing are the people designing the new look [In reply to] Can't Post

then they won't see your comments here.

Be sure to put all your comments you specifically want the designers to see in the thread on Feedback. Calisuri is monitoring that thread.
http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=512612#512612

You can also leave comments here: http://www.theonering.net/...orn-gets-a-facelift/

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 19 2012, 8:42am

Post #15 of 19 (334 views)
Shortcut
Contrast [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't work on the color palette, but see what you think of this:

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=513080#513080

Wink

Ardamírë
Valinor

Oct 19 2012, 9:04pm

Post #16 of 19 (313 views)
Shortcut
I do that too [In reply to] Can't Post

I only went to the homepage once I heard it had changed.

Escapist
Gondor

Oct 19 2012, 10:41pm

Post #17 of 19 (313 views)
Shortcut
I think that looks good! [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I wasn't able to navigate around so it is a little hard to tell for sure.
Is that dark brown lettering or black? Either way, it is very readable.

Preciousssss
The Shire

Oct 20 2012, 5:56am

Post #18 of 19 (298 views)
Shortcut
With the news [In reply to] Can't Post

Preciousssss
The Shire

Oct 21 2012, 2:17am

Post #19 of 19 (508 views)
Shortcut
With the news [In reply to] Can't Post

It's harder to read

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.