Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
One does not simply walk into Mordor....

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Oct 17 2012, 1:29pm

Post #1 of 20 (1565 views)
Shortcut
One does not simply walk into Mordor.... Can't Post

...Its black gates are guarded by more than just orcs." - Boromir in Rivendell (Council of Elrond)

When I first watched FOTR I tried to imagine what "more than just orcs" meant. Especially after Gandalfs similar quote after entering Moria "There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of the world". We just saw the Watcher in the Water. And later we saw the Balrog. Two very old and evil creatures and a Cave Troll too. After that I tried to think of what evil creatures could possibly guard the Black Gates of Mordor the Land of Shadow and Evil?
In TTT we got to see them... a bunch of orcs and two trolls and a small army of Easterlings. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed.
In ROTK we returned to the Black Gate. A new hope. Perhaps more than last time? And different things than on the Battle of Minas Tirith? Not really. 10.000 orcs, one or two trolls, a black Numenorean, 8 wraith on wings... yes. After Boromirs famous sentence I expected "more than just orcs (and trolls)".

WHAT DID YOU EXPECT?

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Escapist
Gondor

Oct 17 2012, 1:44pm

Post #2 of 20 (1117 views)
Shortcut
nazgul, huge trolls, the eye, and shelob [In reply to] Can't Post

are each worth noting as "worse than orcs".

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Oct 17 2012, 1:55pm

Post #3 of 20 (1085 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually the Nazgûl do not guard the Black Gate do they? Neither does Shelob. And the Eye does not count because Boromir uses it in the sentence later: "[..] There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful." To put it simply: There are worse than orcs and also there is the watchful Great Eye. And the two trolls in TTT do not look that worse.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Escapist
Gondor

Oct 17 2012, 2:12pm

Post #4 of 20 (1093 views)
Shortcut
That's a deep subject. [In reply to] Can't Post

I also remember some kind of sentinel statue that scared the heck out of Sam when he tried to rescue Frodo from the tower that the statue seemed to be guarding (in the book)(no this isn't the black gate either) and the Mouth of Sauron.

Do you think that Boromir was referring to the black gate only? How much of a perimeter would you give around it? Do you think the nazgul and the eye don't ever watch it or appear near it?

It sounds like you were expecting something - what was it?
I immediately thought of the nine and the eye.

Lindele
Gondor

Oct 17 2012, 6:28pm

Post #5 of 20 (1047 views)
Shortcut
it is a land of evil [In reply to] Can't Post

everything in it and of it is evil. the epitomy of evil.
and yes, Sauron absolutely DOES count as 'more than just orcs'
just because we didn't see everything that exists in Mordor on screen does not mean it wasn't there.

i think his statement was completely appropriate.

Plurmo
Rohan

Oct 18 2012, 4:02am

Post #6 of 20 (1049 views)
Shortcut
When Boromir says [In reply to] Can't Post

"there is evil there that does not sleep," that reminds me of Faramir telling Frodo about Minas Morgul "it is a place of sleepless malice, full of lidless eyes" and that reflects the lore they learned more than their own experience about those places.

In any case it must be taken into account that in the original form of the movie when the Morannon was finally opened, there was more than just orcs there. There was Sauron himself.

TheBladeGlowsBlue
Rivendell

Oct 18 2012, 4:38am

Post #7 of 20 (1015 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I also remember some kind of sentinel statue that scared the heck out of Sam when he tried to rescue Frodo from the tower that the statue seemed to be guarding (in the book)(no this isn't the black gate either) and the Mouth of Sauron.

Do you think that Boromir was referring to the black gate only? How much of a perimeter would you give around it? Do you think the nazgul and the eye don't ever watch it or appear near it?

It sounds like you were expecting something - what was it?
I immediately thought of the nine and the eye.

Yes there were two statues guarding the tower in the books, it was a creepy read and I was a bit disappointed they didn't make it into the film (or the extended versions)...you see them as Sam round the corner, but the next scene he is running into the tower.
It would have been a nice link back to Boromir's comment...

Frown

(This post was edited by TheBladeGlowsBlue on Oct 18 2012, 4:39am)

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Oct 18 2012, 9:43am

Post #8 of 20 (1029 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Its black gates are guarded by more than just orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful."

But because he mentiones Sauron right afterwards I always interpreted it as a kind of enumeration like "orcs, more evil things than orcs and not to forget the ever watchful Great Eye". But after reading this line again and again I see that you can also refer everything to the Great Eye. When he talks of "there is evil there" he meant Sauron. And later it seems that way round.

But (as I mentioned before) after Gandalfs similar quote in Moria and the Watcher in the Water/Balrog encounter I was hoping for something different in Mordor, something we haven't had seen before (Nazgûl, trolls, orcs and the Great Eye appeared before in FOTR). I expected something like these stone statues that watched Cirith Ungol
which could not be passed by mortals (in the book) and only with the help of the Phial Frodo and Sam were able to pass them. They would have been something new, evil and sleepless. Unfortunately they appeared twice in the movie (Minas Morgul and Cirith Ungol) but only as statues and not as actual watchers.

Plurmo
Rohan

Oct 18 2012, 4:21pm

Post #9 of 20 (1034 views)
Shortcut
That kind of frustration is the fate of the Tolkien reader... [In reply to] Can't Post

"He had many hardships and adventures before he got back. The Wild was still the Wild, and there were many other things in it in those days beside goblins..."

Certainly the Towers of the Teeth in the Morannon had magical protections, but we never see them at work because those "Two Towers" remained unconquered till they fell down in ruin. Boromir was right. Trying to pass the Black Gates would be the end of the Quest.

Anyway we never entered Minas Morgul or Barad-dûr either, but we will have a chance now in Dol Guldur. Let's hope PJ gives us his true cinema magic instead of mute statues and rolling skulls made of cheese.Smile

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Oct 18 2012, 8:04pm

Post #10 of 20 (961 views)
Shortcut
I see your point... [In reply to] Can't Post

and I feel the same. It did kind of disappoint me too, having 'nothing new' at the Black Gate. It was 'just another horde of orcs'.
In addition, I was not at all spooked out about how the Black Land itself looked (in fact, I think Dol Guldur is going to look far more creepy). That too was a missed opportunity imho. The same with Sauron, actually.
I absolutely love the movies, but 'evil' in general should have been much more potent and scary, imho.

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Oct 18 2012, 8:54pm

Post #11 of 20 (1002 views)
Shortcut
It is a rather stupid line, as is "They have a cave troll" [In reply to] Can't Post

But they've still become classic quotes nonetheless!Laugh

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 19 2012, 12:51am

Post #12 of 20 (968 views)
Shortcut
No, one flies into Mordor on the back of an eagle [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 19 2012, 5:57am

Post #13 of 20 (967 views)
Shortcut
No... [In reply to] Can't Post

I beg to differ. Wink

Silverlode

Noel Q. von Schneiffel
Rivendell

Oct 20 2012, 2:25pm

Post #14 of 20 (908 views)
Shortcut
Maybe you misunderstood Boromir's quote [In reply to] Can't Post

"...Its black gates are guarded by more than just orcs."

Maybe this is simply a misunderstanding. He meant "by orcs who are more than just". They would be like normal orcs, only extremely just. So no passing unless it's really justified.

The Glorious Truth of J.R.R. Tolkien
Radiates from his Holy Writings

http://www.tolkientruth.info/

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Oct 20 2012, 4:18pm

Post #15 of 20 (885 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure with that... [In reply to] Can't Post

IF (and it's a big IF) you're right you surely can tell me what's so "not just" about these Orcs we've seen at the Black Gate in TTT. To me they look like usual Mordor Orcs not even Black Uruks.

TheBladeGlowsBlue
Rivendell

Oct 22 2012, 12:15pm

Post #16 of 20 (842 views)
Shortcut
Missed tribe? [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel PJ missed a golden opportunity to introduce the most dispicable of orcs of all.

Maybe this recent decision to make the Hobbit into 3 movies is his attempt/opportunity to fix this?

He wimped out IMHO when Gandalf's Army approached the Black Gates...he could have created cinematic history, instead he went Hollywood...

Maybe this time...?

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Oct 22 2012, 9:47pm

Post #17 of 20 (827 views)
Shortcut
In what way... [In reply to] Can't Post

do you feel he ''could have created cinematic history'' with the Battle of Morannon?

TheBladeGlowsBlue
Rivendell

Oct 23 2012, 12:19am

Post #18 of 20 (860 views)
Shortcut
by... [In reply to] Can't Post

..including the Mouth of Sauron (he did make it to the extended version, albeit with PJ's twist to his eventual fate, another unnecessary departure from the books), and more dialogue from Gandalf... PJ seemed more concerned about the visuals, rather than setting the scene properly with what was at stake - it felt more like a jolly jaunt with Gimli cracking jokes along the way.
It is still a great trilogy, I am not knocking that, as a set of movies they would be hard to beat but the final battle felt a bit tacked on for me.

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Oct 23 2012, 9:54am

Post #19 of 20 (812 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

It could have been done better.

Durin's Folk
The Shire

Oct 23 2012, 3:13pm

Post #20 of 20 (944 views)
Shortcut
this is a good question. [In reply to] Can't Post

I expected to see trolls heavy armored riding drakes and kamikaze goblins with bombs attached to them like in the LOTR war in the North game.

"But a small dark figure that none had observed sprang out of the shadows and gave a hoarse shout: 'Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!' An axe swung and swept back. Two Orcs fell headless. The rest fled."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.