Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend? Late Edition
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Oct 17 2012, 4:24pm

Post #26 of 35 (83 views)
Shortcut
Saw this yesterday [In reply to] Can't Post

and it was fairly entertaining, although it was a bit more violent than I am comfortable with -- funny, because I am a Coen brothers fan -- the cast was great.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Oct 18 2012, 10:24am

Post #27 of 35 (97 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it's as easy as that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Having seen both seasons (no word on whether or not it's been picked up for a Season 3) I can say - without spoilers - that almost everyone in the series has done both good and bad things to some extent - albeit sometimes they're forced to do the bad things because they have to kick into survival mode in a place that's extremely unsafe and without any real law enforcement as we know it today. The one character who's consistent is The Swede, who I think we can all agree is pure evil (and possibly crazy due to post traumatic stress from what he went through in the legendarily horrific prison Andersonville). Everyone else is either a good person who has at least one lapse, a bad person who has at least one good moment, or somewhere in between. To me, that's the real reason the moveable town is "Hell on Wheels" - because they have to live with what they do, whether it be in their personal lives or the consequences of the very fact that they're making a way for themselves by necessarily taking it away from the Sioux.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 18 2012, 2:57pm

Post #28 of 35 (123 views)
Shortcut
I do know it's not that easy... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just that's the tendency... or at least it's mine... to drop into conventions of storytelling, especially lightweight storytelling.

And keep in mind, when I wrote that, I had only watched 4 episodes so I don't know where the story is going yet. (With three more episodes under my belt, I'm already revising earlier assessments.)

What you read in my post was my working out my initial impressions with some further questioning and some guess work about where the story would take us. I don't shy away from 'thinking' something and then questioning my thinking and then putting both of those stages out there for everyone to see. :-)

I enjoy stories like this and Deadwood and Battlestar Galactica so much more than Leverage, where I have to suppress my annoyance at their need to make every 'bad' guy really bad and every 'good' guy really good.

But, most of the time, you have a protagonist and an antagonist whether they be 'good' or 'bad'. Not all of the time, but most of the time. I am always curious to work out to whom the story tellers want us to think those labels are applied to.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

batik
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2012, 7:13pm

Post #29 of 35 (75 views)
Shortcut
no movies, a couple of series though [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, first-- the season premier of The Walking Dead. This is one of only a small handful of tv series that I have managed to keep up with since season 1. This year's opening episode was not a letdown!

Once Upon a Time....this was came recommended by a barli's chatroom friend and I have to say it's quite *charming*. I had to power watch season 1 via netflix so that I could watch this season's eps in real time. A fun way to spend an hour on a Sunday evening.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 19 2012, 7:23pm

Post #30 of 35 (74 views)
Shortcut
I don't know if you watched Netflix streaming or DVD... [In reply to] Can't Post

but Once Upon a Time has been on Long Wait in my DVD queue since it was released.

I finally did some research on Netflix and Long Wait and they are very cagey about how it works. It appears they allow discs that are in high demand to go to people who don't send for as many DVDs in a month as other users. And the more discs your account allowed you to have out at a time, the lower your position was in the queue. So people who get two or three discs out at a time are put on Long Wait over people who get only one disc at a time.

I wanted to catch up on last season's OUaT and Good Wife since I couldn't always catch them in real time as they aired. I gave up that strategy for both shows. I am not watching OUaT season 2. I want to watch it from the beginning so I'll just always wait until I can get the DVDs.

And I just wrote off season 2 of the Good Wife and started watching season 3 in real time.

I found lots of people saying the same thing I'm feeling. Netflix was a great product when we signed up. It has fallen in our esteem since. I still need DVDs and less mainstream DVDs than Redbox provides. So I'm sticking with it for the moment. But if they lower the experience any more than it is now, I may seriously look for other alternatives or just give up watching stuff at all.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Oct 19 2012, 7:26pm)

batik
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2012, 7:59pm

Post #31 of 35 (77 views)
Shortcut
streaming... [In reply to] Can't Post

I gave up the DVD option not too long ago for a couple of reasons---the double $$ to have DVDs *and* streaming and the fact that I tend to take forever to actually watch and return those DVDs. Streaming options can seem to be somewhat limited but I definitely get more bang for my bucks that way.
I wonder if you can change your plan for one month and do a boatload of streaming? [;)
I've looked at a couple of other options (Amazon and Hulu, I think). Prices seem to be in line with those at netflix though there's the trade-off of some different things being available there in exchange for some of the netflix offerings not being available. Meh.

(This post was edited by batik on Oct 19 2012, 8:07pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 19 2012, 8:03pm

Post #32 of 35 (80 views)
Shortcut
I like to watch the DVDs with my husband [In reply to] Can't Post

and I need closed captions or to wear headphones. Our audio set up doesn't allow for the sound to be routed to both the speakers and the headphones. And my roku doesn't have closed caption options.

Also, most of what I wanted to watch wasn't available on streaming. I'm a bit surprised Once Upon a Time was available.

batik
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2012, 8:20pm

Post #33 of 35 (97 views)
Shortcut
yeah, CC... [In reply to] Can't Post

I made the drop DVDs decision after getting the Roku earlier this year (the basic model--purple, palm sized one) earlier this year. Gave it a trial run for a couple/few months. Many of the selections do have cc available which is a great thing for me when the AC unit is on or when those folks with thick accents are speaking!

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 19 2012, 8:24pm

Post #34 of 35 (63 views)
Shortcut
add to AC and accents.... [In reply to] Can't Post

wood floors and stairs (noisy), an open floor plan (no quiet back tv room), a noisy husband (seriously, he loves to make noise - tap, squeak, whistle, rustle... it's soothing for him, I think), an airport 1 mile away, and a slight hearing loss.

Closed captions are on 100% of the time in our household. When I stream (Amazon Prime), I use headphones which puts the sound closer to my ear, filters out the other unwanted noise, and might be better quality sound for speech than the speakers we have.

sherlock
Gondor

Oct 20 2012, 11:31am

Post #35 of 35 (156 views)
Shortcut
Castle [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm enjoying this but out of the four discs I've gotten from Netflix three have been damaged-very frustrating!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.