Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
Chicago Map Moot Report
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 16 2007, 11:44pm

Post #26 of 35 (186 views)
Shortcut
Get it down? [In reply to] Can't Post

I pogo-hopped all the way home ;)

I tried pole-vaulting over the lake, but couldn't get my speed up to make the distance! ooooo-rah! ;)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

My JRRT Map Moot Report

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2007, 2:01am

Post #27 of 35 (162 views)
Shortcut
You crack me up, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great pictures from the moot, but that last one?Laugh

Where's Frodo?

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 17 2007, 2:35am

Post #28 of 35 (193 views)
Shortcut
You say "empowered", I say "control freak" [In reply to] Can't Post

but either way, we've finally figured it out. You can only moot in places where you can drive! Wink

Great report, gramma. That was such a fun weekend, and I loved having the slumber party. I just wish I could have had more of us stay at my place. You'll need to do pizza next time. Namadriel, greendragon and LRon and I walked to pizza on Sunday night.

One small piece of good news about all the conference calls I had that weekend. All three calls were related to two proposals my company was submitting for some new work. We've been invited back for a second round for one of the proposals, and we're continuing discussions for the other proposal. So both proposals might lead to new work!

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Nov 17 2007, 2:41am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 17 2007, 3:40am

Post #29 of 35 (238 views)
Shortcut
If that's the Galileo, then where's Spock? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink What a grand time you had - both at the Moot, and in transit! I'm glad entmaiden thought about your special license plate: that could have become a collector's item. But how did you get the car down from that security spot? Sly

What a fascinating exhibition! I would have stood there drooling over all those maps - not to mention the Professor's papers! And thank you for the close-ups of the details of the Maori Meeting House: yes, a perfect place for a Fellowship to gather. Smile

And entmaiden is a dear for hosting such a wild and crazy bunch Laugh!

Thank you, gramma, for doing up such an informative and delightful report!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 17 2007, 2:12pm

Post #30 of 35 (157 views)
Shortcut
That's Great News! [In reply to] Can't Post

It would have been hosed if all that angst hadn't made a difference; but I knew you'd knock 'em dead! Congrats! and here's to totally conquering them on the upcoming meeting(s).

Pizza!? YOU GOT IT! :D

sample sample

My DragonCon 07 Report

My JRRT Map Moot Report

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 17 2007, 2:15pm

Post #31 of 35 (187 views)
Shortcut
Spock and Spock. Where is Spock? [In reply to] Can't Post

I should have mentioned that we were at the museum from just before 11am until it closed at 5pm. LOTS to do and not enough time to do it all :)

*runs to edit*

I LOVE how they've left this board open for editing. WAY COOL!

sample sample

My DragonCon 07 Report

My JRRT Map Moot Report

stormcrow20
Gondor

Nov 18 2007, 6:31am

Post #32 of 35 (192 views)
Shortcut
Maori house = Meduseld? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for sharing your experience Gramma! Reading your reports always makes it feel like we were there with y'all!

I was in complete awe at the LotR Movie exhibition, to see the costumes, weapons etc. that were used for the films. I can only imagine what it was like to be within inches of something actually written by Prof. Tolkien himself. Wow!

I would have loved to see the Maori meeting house too. How cool!
Looking at your pictures of the house, I'm strongly reminded of Meduseld. Did any of you get that feeling while you were inside it?

Meduseld: inside and out

Is it mentioned anywhere if the design of Edoras was at all inspired by Maori architecture?

Glad you guys had fun!

Expect me when you see me.

(This post was edited by stormcrow20 on Nov 18 2007, 6:33am)

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Nov 19 2007, 12:57am

Post #33 of 35 (159 views)
Shortcut
I know what you mean... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think probably the answer is that any tribal 'gathering house' will have a similar feel, whether that is a viking drinking hall or a Maori house. It always strikes me in RotK how the layout of Meduseld and of the hall in Minas Tirith are remarkably similar; I guess if peoples of the world have all come to similar conclusions when designing a central, gathering point for their clans!

Whether PJ et al had a marae as an influence in the back of their minds when building Meduseld, who knows? It would be interesting to ask the designers...

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Nov 19 2007, 12:59am

Post #34 of 35 (222 views)
Shortcut
fab as ever, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really enjoyed your report and pics - and like everyone else, I laughed out loud when I saw the pic of 'where you parked your car'!! Laugh A great reminder of a wonderful weekend with fabulous people!

One thing which slightly baffles me - the trousers I was wearing on Saturday are black with pink pinstripes, yet they look BLUE in your photos! Tres bizarre..

Mmm - Chicago style hotdogs... must go and cook my dinner before I get too hungry! Wink

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

silneldor
Half-elven

Nov 21 2007, 11:23am

Post #35 of 35 (499 views)
Shortcut
Well i finally got to imbibe [In reply to] Can't Post

your report gramma and it was a joy to see you had a ball spending some quality time with some special sibs AND see another fantastic aspect in the real, of Tolkien. I am glad you ALL were able to have another time and memory of grand things in the best times of our lives:).
Thank you all for sharing it all. I know it was a labor of love.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

May the grace of ManwŰ let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of ManwŰ S˙limo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.