Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Congratulations Felix Baumgartner!

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 14 2012, 8:34pm

Post #1 of 16 (330 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations Felix Baumgartner! Can't Post

My congratulations go out to Felix Baumgartner and all the behind-the-scene team, for their new world record. I get a little giddy just 10 stories up, let alone 39km up!

If you're unfamiliar with the story, here is the BBC article.

This is an absolute triumph for human endeavor. A stupid idea, but the footage is absolutely breathtaking. I get a shiver down my spine every time!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Misto
Lorien

Oct 14 2012, 8:41pm

Post #2 of 16 (164 views)
Shortcut
Ah well... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
A stupid idea, but the footage is absolutely breathtaking.

My thought exactly. It's just one of those "meh" incidents. If that's what he likes to do - great. But I don't really care. Nice to look at but whatever...

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 15 2012, 12:06am

Post #3 of 16 (145 views)
Shortcut
I've been following this [In reply to] Can't Post

for over a year now. The boyfriend of a friend of mine was part of the team. It's an amazing achievement, and NASA was very interested in it since there are implications for space travel.

Congratulations to everyone involved.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Oct 15 2012, 12:46am

Post #4 of 16 (138 views)
Shortcut
Saw this at clinicals today. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't actually see the jump, but I saw them talking about it on the news during breakfast.

It's a fun idea, breaking the sound barrier and all, but I do think it's pretty useless. Oh well. It's still cool Smile

On a side note, has anyone here ever gone skydiving? I have and found it pretty boring Crazy

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 15 2012, 3:30am

Post #5 of 16 (141 views)
Shortcut
Stupid Ideas [In reply to] Can't Post

Daniel, you usually mean well, but I have to object to the trivialization of what Mr. Baumgartner and his team did. Unfortunately Misto, whose words are most offensive to me, picked up on it, but entmaiden was generous in her reply by not mentioning it with her more meaningful post.

My interests growing up were all about the solar system, cosmology, physics, space exploration, and the space program. I was allowed to stay up way past my bedtime for Apollo 11's Neil Armstrong to land The Eagle on the moon in 1969. I lived in Florida from 1978 through 1989, close to Canaveral. I went to shuttle launches when I could get on base, or I could watch from my house at about T+00:06. I was on base for both the scrub two days before and and the maiden launch of the shuttle program with Columbia on April 12, 1981, gleaming all white. I was watching from my house when Challenger exploded January 28, 1986. I kept waiting for chutes to open. They didn't. There was no such thing as an escape system. I owned a Florida Challenger license plate and still have it. I no longer live in Florida, but my wife woke me up to tell me Columbia was overdue for landing on February 1, 2003. I watched the news unfold. No hope at altitude, now just ashes and remains.

So anyone who wants to trivialize what Felix Baumgartner and his team mean to me, think instead about investing your interests in a space program that continues to research ways to make disasters survivable for its human occupants and their affected families. Not to mention all the technology too few people give the space program credit for what they have in life. Things enjoyed for which others risk and give their lives.

Yes, congratulations to everyone involved.

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 15 2012, 4:41am

Post #6 of 16 (117 views)
Shortcut
I haven't followed it [In reply to] Can't Post

although my brother is an avid skydiver - one of those people who takes part in making those fun formations in the sky.

I would never call any attempt to stretch the envelope of human endeavor "stupid," because you never know what it might lead to. And courage is always admirable.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Oct 15 2012, 5:29am

Post #7 of 16 (114 views)
Shortcut
This post is what made me take a look at the video and article [In reply to] Can't Post

So thank you for that, it appears a very interesting and promising endeavor.

I'd give DanielLB the benefit of the doubt here. You even said he "usually mean(s) well." The comment in question is a probably a simple case of watching the video and not thoroughly reading the article. I don't believe he would call a chance for saving lives a stupid idea. Just watching the video, all you see is a guy doing something potentially dangerous for himself.

Anyway, I'd like to give my sincere congratulations to the team as well.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 15 2012, 7:05am

Post #8 of 16 (128 views)
Shortcut
*Usually* mean well?! [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean well all the time JWPlatt Wink.

I don't deny the stupidity of this exploration. But nonetheless, it is a huge achievement for science, engineering and human endeavor. On a more personal note, the scientific data that will come out of this will be most magnificent. As a meteorologist myself, we never send weather balloons up that high. Atmospheric measurements at this height are almost un-heard of. So it's not just about one man's crazy idea, it's about everyone behind it, and what else we can get out of it.

There is certainly more that was achieved, than a man achieving a very stupid dream!

And while I can think of 1000 better things this money could've been spent on, it's only a drop in the ocean compared to the combined wages of footballers wages in the UK, or the £3 billion proposed train-line the UK government want to build ....

Misto
Lorien

Oct 15 2012, 1:15pm

Post #9 of 16 (107 views)
Shortcut
Different perspectives [In reply to] Can't Post

I honestly fail to understand why you would feel offended.

Different people care for different things. There are a lot of comments in this world that can send me on edge but at the end of the day that's just the nature of the world and makes it the many-varied place it is. For example I fail to grasp how somebody would not take a serious interest in the workings of politics and economics. But there are millions of these people out in the world who don't give a damn and I just have to live with it. They care for other things and if I'm being honest I've got to cringe at the idea of a world full of economist.

I wasn't there when Neil Armstrong went to the moon and although that is certainly a very big achievement for science's sake the fact that he did so some 15 years before I was born does not really change my life. So while I certainly had not intended to trample on your childhood heroes I stand by what I said: I couldn't care less. It's just that in my book there are about a million things more important than manned space-travel in any way, shape or form.

Chopsta123
Gondor

Oct 15 2012, 2:29pm

Post #10 of 16 (92 views)
Shortcut
I dont see how spacetravel has not changed everybodies lives [In reply to] Can't Post

there are thousands of inventions that came about through spacetravel that ordinary people benefit from every day...
starting from smoke detectors, UV filters, fire resistant materials...

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 15 2012, 2:50pm

Post #11 of 16 (75 views)
Shortcut
Amazing footage! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very brave fellow, to step off that platform! Wow - I started hyperventilating just watching and listening to the video :-).

Congratulations to the team and kudos to all those folks who, when everyone else says, "Why", say instead "Why not?"

Thanks for posting, DLB!

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 15 2012, 5:06pm

Post #12 of 16 (69 views)
Shortcut
This footage is from his head camera [In reply to] Can't Post

Link

Makes me dizzy and I'm sat down!

Aragorn'sSexyScar
Rohan

Oct 15 2012, 5:55pm

Post #13 of 16 (66 views)
Shortcut
If that had been me.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd still be standing in the doorway of the capsule & the people around the watching live would be shouting "Jump already!" Sly

What courage!

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 15 2012, 7:18pm

Post #14 of 16 (66 views)
Shortcut
People might find this more interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Link

LEGO space jump. Sly

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 15 2012, 8:03pm

Post #15 of 16 (57 views)
Shortcut
Win [In reply to] Can't Post

It's gets the seal of approval from my 12-year-old who also watched yesterday's historic jump. Wink

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 15 2012, 8:21pm

Post #16 of 16 (133 views)
Shortcut
Absolutes [In reply to] Can't Post

> *Usually* mean well?!

Scientists never* generalize that something is true with absolute certainty.

*except what they say about absolute certainties.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Oct 15 2012, 8:22pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.