Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Who here buys eBooks?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Oct 15 2012, 8:24pm

Post #26 of 31 (118 views)
you've restated that rule a bit loosely [In reply to] Can't Post

I found that rule #4 states that you cannot "link" or attach a "banner" that leads to other sites, but general discussion is allowed.

You can link to one's personal website in one's footer as long as it's not for commercial gain: Links or banners intended to sell products, promote charities or other causes are also not allowed. Exceptions include text links to your personal home page or website in your profile and/or footer.

That exception doesn't apply to e-Books but I didn't want someone else to misunderstand the rule.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Oct 15 2012, 9:08pm

Post #27 of 31 (124 views)
Correct... [In reply to] Can't Post

...as long as it's not a link or banner that's meant to sell something. But general discussion is still allowed. I paraphrased ;-)

Oct 16 2012, 1:13am

Post #28 of 31 (109 views)
Nope :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't do ebook, don't twitter, don't facebook, don't text. I'm a dinosaur and proud of it ;)

I prefer the book itself. My LotR and Hobbit books that I read from exclusively are underlined, written in, highlighted, autographed, and tear-stained. I've been reading out of those same books since 1971.

I will say the ebooks have their place. Like ipods. They're much better to use if you travel a lot or need the convenience of not carrying around cds and a player. That said, I DO listen to LotR,TH and the Potter stories in the books on cd in audio format... on my ipod ;)

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2012, 2:24am

Post #29 of 31 (119 views)
I think there are [In reply to] Can't Post

too many of us who enjoy the books to ever see them totally disappear. I can see the number of books printed overall deceasing in the next few years, but I can't see books leaving us for good. I stated earlier that I enjoy both, Ebooks and hard copies, but there are some places I prefer the real thing. My dock for one, I have a power outlet on my dock if I were to spend a long time down there reading, but I still prefer the book while sitting on my dock. And I am a collector of sorts, I have a few different versions of my favourite stories, and am always on the look out for versions I don' t have. I think there are just too many of us right now that still enjoy a good book. That might change by the time I am dead and buried (almost 40 now), I see the 13 year old in our house wanting to read on a screen much more recently than from a piece of paper. That scares me a tad.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Oct 16 2012, 12:00pm

Post #30 of 31 (144 views)
I use both [In reply to] Can't Post

I use both. I was given an e-book-reader for my birthday, and I use it. I see its benefits (don't need to pack a stockpile of books when I'm going away on holiday or over the weekends, and my over-crowded bookshelves might not cave in after all Wink). But first thing I had to do was to buy a protective cover that looks like a book...I just couldn't get used to holding this "thing" in my hands. I needed at least to pretend to open a cover and be able to hold a book in my hands... The reader doesn't feel like a real book, but the cover helped me a lot. However, I miss turning the pages, I miss the smell of fresh paper...

So, to me my e-book reader is fine when I'm travelling, but for every day's purpose (especially now, in wintertime), there's nothing like cuddling up in an armchair, (physical) book in my hands, cat on my lap and something nice and warm to drink. Wink No way I'd give up buying physical books!

Call me Jean-Luc Picard.... Wink

signature by kiteflier with kind permission of http://richardarmitagenet.com

(This post was edited by Padfoot on Oct 16 2012, 12:01pm)

Oct 19 2012, 4:33pm

Post #31 of 31 (230 views)
You're right... [In reply to] Can't Post

sometimes you just need the feel of a book and how it rests in your hands... flip the pages... just rest with it.

I'm 60 now, and have just given up my quill & inkwell!!! So the invasion of laptops and all things portable electronic is really overwhelming me nowadays.

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.