Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Theaters with 48fps

Terrainosaur
The Shire

Oct 12 2012, 5:04pm

Post #1 of 15 (1186 views)
Shortcut
Theaters with 48fps Can't Post

I've begun asking local theaters what framerate they will show The Hobbit in. Here are two chains responses. I'm located in Omaha, Nebraska. I'd be curious if other people could contact their local theaters and post the responses.

Dallas-based Rave Cinemas, LLC, the United States’ fifth-largest theater exhibition chain:
"Thank you for your interest in the Hobbit at the Westroads. We are currently scheduled to run the movie in the normal 24 fps. Although we will do our best to show the feature at the higher frame rate, I can make no promises at this time that we will be able to show it in 48 fps."

Marcus Theatres operates movie theatres in seven states.
"That is unknown at the time. I suspect this information will not be finalized until closer to when the movie is scheduled for presale. It is my understanding that only a limited number of theatres will be given the 48fps prints nationwide (at this time, the number is about 400, but may change closer to the release). Whichever theatres are chosen, our theatres will be ready to play the higher rate."

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 12 2012, 5:12pm

Post #2 of 15 (451 views)
Shortcut
Got my hopes up with that title :P [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for sharing, I'm anxiously waiting to see what cinemas will be showing 48fps, and whether any will be in the UK. So it's good to be updated, even if there's no real news yet.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 13 2012, 12:05am

Post #3 of 15 (357 views)
Shortcut
400 is more than I had thought.. [In reply to] Can't Post

gives me hope for Indy.

Permanent address: Into the West

swampB
Bree

Oct 13 2012, 1:52am

Post #4 of 15 (381 views)
Shortcut
Cinemark [In reply to] Can't Post

I asked the local Cinemark in the Woodlands, TX if they were going to show the Hobbit in all 3 formats... 48fps, 4k, and 3d... My response was...

"Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you for your interest in the upgrade that will be happening in our XD auditorium this year. We will have all three upgrades in our XD auditorium by the time "The Hobbit " comes out in December. The upgrades will only be in the XD auditorium.

Tickets have not gone on sale for this movie yet, but I expect to have the information soon so they can be published to the public.

I hope I have answered your questions.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Oct 13 2012, 1:18pm)

Terrainosaur
The Shire

Oct 13 2012, 4:28pm

Post #5 of 15 (256 views)
Shortcut
AMC Theaters [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's what I got from AMC.

"Yes the “Hobbit” was filmed with 48fps. Our corporate office is working with WB on what locations and how many we are going to upgrade. We will know more in the next few weeks. If you have any further questions please let me know."

Terrainosaur
The Shire

Oct 13 2012, 4:42pm

Post #6 of 15 (265 views)
Shortcut
US chains so far -- none confirmed [In reply to] Can't Post

It's two months from release date and none of these major US chains could confirm they will have The Hobbit at 48fps:

Rave Cinemas
Marcus Theatres
Cinemark
AMC Theatres

Wide release means a movie opens in 600 theaters or more. The recent Amazing Spider-Man movie opened in 4,318 screens. The Dark Knight Rises opened on 4,404 screens. If The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 48fps version opens in only 400 theatres, it seems to reason that at least that version is a limited release. You may not be able to see it.

macfalk
Valinor

Oct 14 2012, 6:57am

Post #7 of 15 (316 views)
Shortcut
I contacted the big chain here in Sweden [In reply to] Can't Post

Who said that their aim is to have 48 fps ready for all The Hobbit showings nationwide, with a few select theaters also having 4K.

So for my part, it would seem that I have to watch it in 48fps whether I want it or not! It better be good...

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Oct 14 2012, 6:58am)

Terrainosaur
The Shire

Oct 17 2012, 10:49pm

Post #8 of 15 (107 views)
Shortcut
Regal Cinemas [In reply to] Can't Post

The US's largest theater chain also is unconfirmed:

Regal Entertainment: It's still too early to say, Mitch, but more than likely 48fps screenings of The Hobbit will only be shown at a few theatres around the country.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 18 2012, 4:40am

Post #9 of 15 (116 views)
Shortcut
Looks like the 48fps wave of the future [In reply to] Can't Post

Will either be delayed, or not really materialize at all.

Terrainosaur
The Shire

Oct 18 2012, 2:32pm

Post #10 of 15 (82 views)
Shortcut
CNN [In reply to] Can't Post

Every news and entertainment organization covered Peter Jackson's announcement of 48fps. If no theaters will be showing it in that framerate -- and none are committed less than two months from the opening date -- then that's an entertainment headline, in my opinion. It was news when George Lucas tried to get theaters to convert to digital.

I tried contacting CNN to see if they think it could be a news article. Their website CNN.com is awful and I couldn't get through the Contact Us > Story ideas webform. So I tried calling the number. The woman almost hung up on me in the first sentence. When I tried to give her more information, like who I contacted and who wrote their original article, she kept saying a bored 'thanks' and tried to hang up. I give up on CNN. I guess "entertainment news" has to have the word "Kardashian" in it.

Terrainosaur
The Shire

Oct 18 2012, 3:59pm

Post #11 of 15 (86 views)
Shortcut
Hollywood Reporter confirms only 10% of screens will have 48fps [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson says the new look just takes some getting used to, but the studio is releasing that version of the film only on about 400 well-equipped theaters (out of about 4,000), where it can be pitched as a premium offering.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/...bros-1-billion-79301

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 18 2012, 4:38pm

Post #12 of 15 (105 views)
Shortcut
Disappointing :-( / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

totoro
Lorien

Oct 20 2012, 7:23am

Post #13 of 15 (73 views)
Shortcut
From Redwood City California [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately we do not have any information at this time regarding different formats of the Hobbit, or when tickets will go on sale. I would expect this all to be worked out shortly, and for tickets to be on sale soon, but I have not heard a date yet. It is my understanding that the 48fps will require some sort of hardware upgrade to our projectors, so I don’t know if our company will be doing that in certain locations only, or everywhere, or not at all. Check back with us in a couple weeks and hopefully I will have more information by then.
Thanks!

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 21 2012, 8:46pm

Post #14 of 15 (68 views)
Shortcut
I just heard back from my local cinema... [In reply to] Can't Post

They can't tell me anything about the release of the film. They have no idea when they start selling tickets, nor if it will be in 48fps.

Well ... that sounds promising ... Unsure

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 23 2012, 9:43am

Post #15 of 15 (226 views)
Shortcut
In case anyone is still checking this thread [In reply to] Can't Post

I've heard back from another local cinema, who have been much more helpful. They again can't tell me when tickets will be available or whether there will be a midnight showing. 2 of their projectors are 4k projectors (which is promising) but I was advised to contact the distributor regarding if the film will be shown at 48fps.

Any idea how to contact the distributor?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.