Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
I meant to use my old nick! What should I do?

Lossefalme
Gondor

Feb 26 2007, 8:06pm

Post #1 of 19 (704 views)
Shortcut
I meant to use my old nick! What should I do? Can't Post

Blush Sorry. I didn't put the "3" at the end of Lossefalme3 and now I'm just Lossefalme. People know me as Lossefalme3 and that's what I would like to keep. Should I create a whole new me and use up two nicks or should I just leave it alone? Does that even make sense? I'll follow your direction, I just want to know if there is a way I can grab Lossefalme3 back again. Thanks!

Advising Elf
Rohan

Feb 26 2007, 8:48pm

Post #2 of 19 (564 views)
Shortcut
Lose the 3. It looks better. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always ignored the 3 anyway.

Does the 3 have some significance?

"I haven't any right to criticise books, and I don't do it except when I hate them. I often want to criticise Jane Austen, but her books madden me so that I can't conceal my frenzy from the reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin. Everytime I read 'Pride and Prejudice' I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone." - Mark Twain

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 26 2007, 9:40pm

Post #3 of 19 (571 views)
Shortcut
PM Altaira or Inferno. [In reply to] Can't Post

One of them should be able to change it for you.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lossefalme
Gondor

Feb 26 2007, 11:34pm

Post #4 of 19 (569 views)
Shortcut
Lose the 3. [In reply to] Can't Post

My nick kept getting eaten periodically, so that's how I wound up with the "3" on the end of my name. I like it without the "3," too, but I'm afraid that people won't know it's me. You don't think that'll be an issue?

Lossefalme
Gondor

Feb 26 2007, 11:35pm

Post #5 of 19 (552 views)
Shortcut
Muchas Gracias! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 27 2007, 12:01am

Post #6 of 19 (575 views)
Shortcut
It probably won't be an issue. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just to be sure, put 'formerly Lossefalme3' in your footer for a bit until people know your (not very much changed) nick and Bob's your uncle.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Alnilam
Rivendell

Feb 27 2007, 2:37am

Post #7 of 19 (537 views)
Shortcut
Is that a Kiwi expression? [In reply to] Can't Post

"and Bob's your uncle" I mean.

I saw that in "The World's Fastest Indian", but I don't remember seeing it anywhere else.

Alnilam's Realm
From the Old TORN Boards: Top 5 Browsers/OSs:
1. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98 (1568)
2. Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98 (890)
3. Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98 (464)
4. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98 (175)
5. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98 (136)

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Feb 27 2007, 3:14am

Post #8 of 19 (529 views)
Shortcut
I've seen it before... [In reply to] Can't Post

It was on Upstairs, Downstairs, the 70s British Series.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 27 2007, 3:19am

Post #9 of 19 (536 views)
Shortcut
British English [In reply to] Can't Post

Not just Kiwi :-)

Promises to Keep: a novel set in 19th Century New Zealand.

The Passing of Mistress Rose

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Lossefalme
Gondor

Feb 27 2007, 3:40am

Post #10 of 19 (533 views)
Shortcut
Excellent idea. [In reply to] Can't Post

Btw, I'm kinda with everyone else with "Bob's your uncle..." What does that mean? The only stupid question is the one you don't ask, right????

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 27 2007, 4:05am

Post #11 of 19 (536 views)
Shortcut
I suppose it means [In reply to] Can't Post

easily done, something that is achieved without any effort on your part. Also, for variation, Bob's your Auntie.

It's an expression that we inherited from our British ties.

Ataahua's stories

Lossefalme
Gondor

Feb 27 2007, 4:21am

Post #12 of 19 (534 views)
Shortcut
Ah. Thanks for the insight. [In reply to] Can't Post

(Formerly Lossefalme3, just in case you're wondering...)

Lossefalme
Gondor

Feb 27 2007, 5:48am

Post #13 of 19 (519 views)
Shortcut
What are your pics? [In reply to] Can't Post

All I get is the dreaded red X for all three...

(Formerly Lossefalme3, just in case you're *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Aragorn threw back his cloak. The elven-sheath glittered as he grasped it, and the bright blade of Andúril shone like a sudden flame as he swept it out. 'Elendil!' he cried. 'I am Aragorn son of Arathorn, and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dúnadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil's son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again! Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!' TTT, Book III, Chapter 2
And Éomer answered: 'Since the day when you rose before me out of the green grass of the downs I have loved you, and that love shall not fail.' RotK, Book VI, Chapter 5

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 27 2007, 8:52am

Post #14 of 19 (520 views)
Shortcut
Are they okay now? [In reply to] Can't Post

The site was down for maintenance, but it's back up now. Thanks for the heads-up.

They're the covers of the three volumes (!) of my historical novel.

For a moment I thought you meant what were my picks for the Oscars. I thought "Hey! I know the answer!" :-)

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Aerlinn
Lorien

Feb 27 2007, 2:16pm

Post #15 of 19 (526 views)
Shortcut
Just because I was curious [In reply to] Can't Post

(small c)

from www.worldwidewords.org/

This is a catchphrase which seemed to arise out of nowhere and yet has had a long period of fashion and is still going strong. It’s known mainly in Britain and Commonwealth countries, and is really a kind of interjection. It’s used to show how simple it is to do something: “You put the plug in here, press that switch, and Bob’s your uncle!”.

The most attractive theory — albeit suspiciously neat — is that it derives from a prolonged act of political nepotism. The Victorian prime minister, Lord Salisbury (family name Robert Cecil) appointed his rather less than popular nephew Arthur Balfour to a succession of posts. The most controversial, in 1887, was chief secretary of Ireland, a post for which Balfour — despite his intellectual gifts — was considered unsuitable. The Dictionary of National Biography says: “The country saw with something like stupefaction the appointment of the young dilettante to what was at the moment perhaps the most important, certainly the most anxious office in the administration”. As the story goes, the consensus among the irreverent in Britain was that to have Bob as your uncle was a guarantee of success, hence the expression. Since the very word nepotism derives from the Italian word for nephew (from the practice of Italian popes giving preferment to nephews, a euphemism for their bastard sons), the association here seems more than apt.

Actually, Balfour did rather well in the job, confounding his critics and earning the bitter nickname Bloody Balfour from the Irish, which must have quietened the accusations of undue favouritism more than a little (he also rose to be Prime Minister from 1902–5). There is another big problem: the phrase isn’t recorded until 1937, in Eric Partridge’s Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English. Mr Partridge suggested it had been in use since the 1890s, but nobody has found an example in print. This is surprising. If public indignation or cynicism against Lord Salisbury’s actions had been great enough to provoke creation of the saying, why didn’t it appear — to take a case — in a satirical magazine of the time such as Punch?

A rather more probable, but less exciting, theory has it that it derives from the slang phrase all is bob, meaning that everything is safe, pleasant or satisfactory. This dates back to the seventeenth century or so (it’s in Captain Francis Grose’s Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue of 1785). There have been several other slang expressions containing bob, some associated with thievery or gambling, and from the eighteenth century on it was also a common generic name for somebody you didn’t know. Any or all of these might have contributed to its genesis.

And here I thought it was simply a Cockney thing.

TheOneRing.net – where everybody knows your name!
And J.R.R. Tolkien’s middle names… and the name of his publisher’s son … and the name of Aragorn’s great-great-great- grandfather on his mother’s side… and what Frodo’s name almost was…

Lossefalme
Gondor

Feb 27 2007, 3:23pm

Post #16 of 19 (513 views)
Shortcut
MUCH better! Cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

(Formerly Lossefalme3, just in case you're *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Aragorn threw back his cloak. The elven-sheath glittered as he grasped it, and the bright blade of Andúril shone like a sudden flame as he swept it out. 'Elendil!' he cried. 'I am Aragorn son of Arathorn, and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dúnadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil's son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again! Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!' TTT, Book III, Chapter 2
And Éomer answered: 'Since the day when you rose before me out of the green grass of the downs I have loved you, and that love shall not fail.' RotK, Book VI, Chapter 5

Alnilam
Rivendell

Feb 28 2007, 3:41am

Post #17 of 19 (499 views)
Shortcut
Interesting. [In reply to] Can't Post

I taught British English for years and I'd never heard it before. I guess it just didn't make it to the textbooks.

I'll have to start using that, since I'm in a Commonwealth country. Tongue

Alnilam's Realm
From the Old TORN Boards: Top 5 Browsers/OSs:
1. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98 (1568)
2. Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98 (890)
3. Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98 (464)
4. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98 (175)
5. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98 (136)

Owlyross
Rohan

Feb 28 2007, 1:00pm

Post #18 of 19 (495 views)
Shortcut
It's particularly popular in and around London [In reply to] Can't Post

The origin is as follows

P. Brendon, in Eminent Edwardians, 1979, suggests an origin:
"When, in 1887, Balfour was unexpectedly promoted to the vital front
line post of Chief Secretary for Ireland by his uncle Robert, Lord
Salisbury (a stroke of nepotism that inspired the catch-phrase
'Bob's your uncle'), ..."
Or it may have been prompted by the cant phrase "All is bob" =
"all is safe."
(Info from Eric Partridge's Dictionary of Catch Phrases, 2nd
edition, revised by Paul Beale, Routledge, 1985, ISBN
0-415-05916-X.)

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 28 2007, 6:46pm

Post #19 of 19 (517 views)
Shortcut
And of course Eric Partridge [In reply to] Can't Post

(who's one of my literary heroes) was a Kiwi. So Alni was onto something :-)

- A Room With a View

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.