Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
I have a strange cat ....
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Padfoot
Bree

Oct 16 2012, 6:18am

Post #26 of 34 (112 views)
Shortcut
Yep, they do [In reply to] Can't Post

My cat likes to drink her water out of a ewer or out of the bird bath. Wink

She's also switching between summer and winter mode. Summer mode means: staying outside almost all day and night, coming in only for food or when it's raining (when she's wet she wants to be cleanend and dried. No way she'd do that herself... And she loves to climb into my bed when she's soaking wet) . Winter mode means the opposite. Staying in all day long, switching between armchair, sofa and a chair in front of the kitchen radiator... Laugh (She switched to winter mode about 2 weeks ago Wink )

I'm glad she sticks to mice and the occasional blindworm. No other rodents, and she's brought very few birds so far. But she's working hard on keeping the garden mouse-free, and this year, she had a lot to do!Wink

signature by kiteflier with kind permission of http://richardarmitagenet.com

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 16 2012, 3:44pm

Post #27 of 34 (119 views)
Shortcut
well . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

as someone who lives where the wildlife roam freely (I opened my curtains the other day to see a buck blacktail deer staring in), even if you don't have cats, something else will prey on the songbirds. As I mentioned in another post, around here the Cooper's hawks do a job on the smaller birds. My friends took down all their birdfeeders after a family of kestrels moved in, said "thanks for setting out bait!" and proceeded to clear out all their songbirds.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Oct 16 2012, 5:49pm

Post #28 of 34 (118 views)
Shortcut
This! [In reply to] Can't Post

'Our' Cooper's hawks prefer mourning doves, but as there is no lack of those around here, we don't mind. --- When an overly ambitious juvenile tries to bag a red-bellied woodpecker, I mind! --- We call them "hawk bait", and find their behavior on the platform feeders far more annoying than that of the blue jays!

The hawks really don't come in very often here (the lady down the hill has a lot more hawk trouble at her feeders), though, and our rural neighborhood cats rarely get even the slowest older or injured birds feeding on the ground. So far, the kestrels and red-tails avoid all our feeders. *crosses fingers*

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 17 2012, 12:23am

Post #29 of 34 (136 views)
Shortcut
I had to laugh [In reply to] Can't Post

a couple young Cooper's hawks got full of themselves one day and tried to go after some crows. The crows put the smackdown on them!

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

tennie75
Lorien

Oct 18 2012, 10:43pm

Post #30 of 34 (92 views)
Shortcut
Jimmy Jungle Cat [In reply to] Can't Post

Jimmy lived with us for about 21 years. He was a Tuxedo cat. For the first 15 years or so he was allowed outside whenever he wanted - we left a basement window open for him to come inside.

The first time I found a mole tunnel in the yard I took Jimmy over to it and told him that it was his job to take care of the moles and keep them out of the yard. Two days later there was a dead mole on the front sidewalk. After that I never saw another dead mole, but we also did not have moles in the yard for years!

Jimmy was retired to become an indoor cat when I realized he was deaf. He had another happy 4 or 5 years with us.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 18 2012, 10:58pm

Post #31 of 34 (90 views)
Shortcut
I liked reading that [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad Jimmy had many happy years with you, and you with him :-). And what a great name!
How did you discover that he was deaf - was he always deaf or did it happen when he got older?

tennie75
Lorien

Oct 19 2012, 10:58pm

Post #32 of 34 (86 views)
Shortcut
Jimmy [In reply to] Can't Post

Jimmy was about 15, sitting in th front yard with his back to me. He couldn't hear me call him. That's when he got restricted to inside.

Jimmy was named by my son, who seems to have a knack for naming things.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Oct 21 2012, 9:24pm

Post #33 of 34 (99 views)
Shortcut
I have a strange cat [In reply to] Can't Post

she likes to sleep in my wardrobe, she paws at the door until I let her into the wardrobe, its very odd and I dont know why she likes it, maybe she wants to find Narnia.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 22 2012, 7:28am

Post #34 of 34 (340 views)
Shortcut
You want to start getting worried when she starts bringing home Turkish Delight! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.