Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Green Screen
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Oct 11 2012, 11:32pm

Post #26 of 38 (367 views)
Shortcut
yes, for example [In reply to] Can't Post

the scene, where Gandalf is looking for advice and Saruman comes down his stairs. He is then placed in front of a miniature that looks completely real.

The most astonishing miniature for me is rivendell, after all.

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Oct 12 2012, 2:34am

Post #27 of 38 (334 views)
Shortcut
You can tell it's artificial [In reply to] Can't Post

because there'll be a load of blokes/gals sitting in front of you eating popcorn and possibly one holding a tray of ice creams. I don't mind a bit of artifice showing, as long as the result - colours particularly - is beautiful. (And as long as Mr Jackson hasn't superimposed the green screen over the entire film, as he apparently did with the FOTR Bluray release).

GothmogTheBalrog
Rivendell

Oct 12 2012, 2:52am

Post #28 of 38 (316 views)
Shortcut
I enjoy watching movies. [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, I probably spend too much time watching movies. Time that could be used to practice fencing or building with Legos. But that's beside the point. My point is that you have to suspend reality while watching a movie. Pretend it's real and you're a fly on the wall or whatever. Stop freaking about the effects and just feel!

"It was like a great shadow, in the middle of which was a dark form, of man shape maybe, yet greater; and a power and terror seemed to be in it and go before it." ~FotR

totoro
Lorien

Oct 12 2012, 5:14am

Post #29 of 38 (307 views)
Shortcut
I tend to let myself get immersed [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a hard time with the cave troll, though, because he looked nothing like a real cave troll. :)

Fertlthewhite
Bree

Oct 12 2012, 5:30am

Post #30 of 38 (303 views)
Shortcut
just wait for the final product... [In reply to] Can't Post

see, everything can be changed or be enhanced:

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/554355_539180826107765_2036758354_n.jpg

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Oct 12 2012, 6:48am

Post #31 of 38 (291 views)
Shortcut
Not that first shot actually [In reply to] Can't Post

But some of the fight with the Ents when water cames in and is swiping orcs towards the holes in Isengard, those orc construction falling dwon look IMO very very cheap

I can not guarantee his safety - understood...
Nor will I be responsible for his fate - Doh!

Fardragon
Rohan

Oct 12 2012, 7:30am

Post #32 of 38 (322 views)
Shortcut
A strange thing about CGI [In reply to] Can't Post

If you are used to looking at it it's easy to spot, even if you don't know quite how. But if you aren't familiar with it, it looks completely real.

My mother (age 79) upon watching Avatar: "Where did they find all those really tall actors?"

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Oct 12 2012, 7:42am

Post #33 of 38 (292 views)
Shortcut
lovely [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

I can not guarantee his safety - understood...
Nor will I be responsible for his fate - Doh!

GothmogTheBalrog
Rivendell

Oct 12 2012, 3:51pm

Post #34 of 38 (225 views)
Shortcut
How do you know what a real Cave Troll looks like? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I had a hard time with the cave troll, though, because he looked nothing like a real cave troll. :)

"It was like a great shadow, in the middle of which was a dark form, of man shape maybe, yet greater; and a power and terror seemed to be in it and go before it." ~FotR

Kendalf
Rohan

Oct 12 2012, 6:42pm

Post #35 of 38 (264 views)
Shortcut
These films may be TOO gorgeous... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Bilbo´s shoot looking upwards in Rivendell is awesome and so beautifull but I still can notice that Martin is on a completely greenscreen scenario.

Personally, I'm not that irked by noticing that it's green screen. To be honest, I quite enjoy being able to spot how shots have been composed as it gives me an insight into, and admiration of, the movie-making process. Quite how someone can sit down in a cinema to watch films involving goblins, dragons, huge flaming eye-balls, lava-beasts, 10-storey elephants, tree-top villages, cataclysmic battles and shape-shifters and insist that everything look like it was filmed for real is beyond me.

What does worry me is that Jackson will have used the fact that much of the films are being shot using green screen to polish his imagery to within an inch of its life and that he'll end up presenting us with scenes so heart-breakingly beautiful, so gob-smackingly perfect that'll they'll be rendered completely unbelievable.

I don't want the sheen that I think I'm detecting. I don't want films so utterly, utterly gorgeous that they're utterly, utterly sterile. Unsure

(This post was edited by Kendalf on Oct 12 2012, 6:45pm)

Elenorflower
Gondor

Oct 12 2012, 9:35pm

Post #36 of 38 (218 views)
Shortcut
I like gorgeous, gorgeous works for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

Its 'real' I dont like. I dont want it to look unfantastic, if you get my drift?

burgahobbit
Rohan

Oct 13 2012, 1:41pm

Post #37 of 38 (180 views)
Shortcut
I see what you mean [In reply to] Can't Post

But I never actually noticed it until I looked down at his feet during the trailer. I think what others are saying is right though and it will be fixed by the time the film is released. Smile

sphdle1
Gondor

Oct 13 2012, 9:42pm

Post #38 of 38 (328 views)
Shortcut
Just took a look [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, that is an awesome looking scene...

sphdle1

"The last words Albus Dumbledore spoke to the pair of us?
Harry is the best hope we have. Trust him."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.