Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Oct 11 2012, 3:41pm

Post #1 of 9 (324 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

Welcome, fellow TORn Travelers, to another update on the Walk to Rivendell, the place where we turn running, walking, biking, swimming, gardening, dancing and other active pursuits into journeys through Middle Earth. So... how have your journeys been this past week?

There and Back Again
Group Challenge Progress

Miles covered last week: 162.2 (woohoo!)
Cumulative miles: 9691.44
Miles along the journey: 646.1
Miles out of Rivendell: 249.1

It's misty and fall-like as we continue our ride north through the grasslands next to Mirkwood. brrr! I inadvertently left out one of our regular Challenge participants in last week's recap of where we're all at: Happy Hobbitess is currently on the Forest Trail in Mirkwood. I'm sorry, HH; I didn't see you there in that tangle of trees!

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 8
Cumulative miles: 381
Goal: There and Back Again!

Better mileage for me this week, and I'm loving it! Now, I just need to continue building on it... After all, I'm nearly to Rivendell!

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered this week: 1
Cumulative miles: 389
Goal: Group Challenge

And so is Beamer! Her performance went well. She's taken to heart the advice to slow down when delivering her lines, thankfully. And one of the first things she said to me after was to ask for a post-performance treat of ice cream!

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site for Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and the same Hobbit and Wizard back to Bag End by December 2013

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Delrond
Rohan

Oct 12 2012, 12:15am

Post #2 of 9 (126 views)
Shortcut
A new track record. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not really. Greetings fellow walkers, runners, bikers, treadmillers, elliptical trainers, stair climbers, log splitters, brush clearers, grouters and basement purgers.

Well, yet another week has passed and the miles continue to pile up. I can now say that I have officially set a new personal best in last week's 5K (27:12). I had a good feeling heading into the race as I ran really well there last year. The morning was crisp with a gentle breeze - perfect for running. Then Little D and I completed the Diabetes 5K walk on Sunday, which was basically a lap around the canal. We had never done that, so there was a lot to see. To complete the trifecta, I am running this Saturday to support Riley Children's Hospital.

The popcorn mother lode arrived at our home this afternoon. We aren't in a hurry to deliver any, we just wanted to tear into the Chocolately Triple Delight. Mission accomplished. Let's see; a bit of yard work, an hour or so of helping someone move furniture and the usual circuit training/treadmill routine brings this week's total to 28 miles. I'll need to burn those extra calories to offset the pile of aforementioned popcorn I plan on eating over the next few days.

Arandiel, congrats to Beamer on her performance! Did you take her for that ice cream? Peanut Buster Parfait, mmmm.

Miles covered since last week: 28
Cumulative miles: 1016.6
Goal: There and Back Again!

We are now traveling along the eastern edge of Mirkwood headed north. If I didn't know any better, I'd say we're taking the long way around. If we can keep up the pace, we might catch up with gramma at Beorn's house.

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 12 2012, 9:46am

Post #3 of 9 (148 views)
Shortcut
Howdy All! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for keeping us on the road, Arandiel :D

I've had a pretty good week, but now as much as I had hoped. The trip to the lake was really a soul balm, fersher!

I'm still travelling with Beorn, Gandalf and Bilbo around the edge of Mirkwood on our way to winter with Beorn in his most comfy home. We should be there in a couple of weeks... I HOPE! It's cold out there!

Miles covered: 24
Cumulated miles: 1373
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)
Weeks to go: 9 until December 14, 2012

LOOKIT! We're in the single digit countdown to THE HOBBIT!!! *twtch and squeeeeeeeeeeeeee!*

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 12 2012, 2:30pm

Post #4 of 9 (108 views)
Shortcut
Well Done!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

CONGRATULATIONS!! And Kudo to Little D!!! What a great weekend!

*high five* And I'll definitely have Beorn keep the fire stoked and the food ready. But then, you're so fast, I think you're going to beat me there!! ;)

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

Delrond
Rohan

Oct 12 2012, 2:47pm

Post #5 of 9 (114 views)
Shortcut
There is no way [In reply to] Can't Post

I can make up over 300 miles in 2 months. Unless you completely stop all the hard work on your end. Tongue

Thanks, it was a fun weekend. I'll be sure to share the gold stars with Little D. He and I are headed to a HS football game this evening -gotta start rooting for the home team in his new school district. And they just happen to play Mrs. D's alma mater. I am so torn.

Have a great weekend!

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Oct 12 2012, 4:13pm

Post #6 of 9 (107 views)
Shortcut
Congrats, Delrond! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's wonderful news - with great weather and celebratory popcorn, too! Here's to tomorrow's race being as good or better!

We didn't go out for ice cream; I didn't want to have Beamer and my Hobbit out that late on a school night. BUT, she got a bowl of Rocky Road (her favorite!) at home before bed. And performed very well in the orchestra concert the next night. Just a little bit busy...

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and the same Hobbit and Wizard back to Bag End by December 2013

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Oct 12 2012, 4:19pm

Post #7 of 9 (242 views)
Shortcut
Yep, it's just as important to recharge [In reply to] Can't Post

the soul batteries as the physical ones. I'm glad you had such a good week, even if it didn't include quite as many miles as you wanted.

So... only 9 more weeks to the premiere? I'm having an image of gramma, bouncing around Tigger-like with excitement, setting off a chain reaction among TORnFolk; and now I'm wondering if there's a mileage conversion for Tigger-like bouncing!

Enjoy the excitement!

Iolani
Rivendell

Oct 13 2012, 6:08pm

Post #8 of 9 (146 views)
Shortcut
feeling good! [In reply to] Can't Post

Today is a beautiful day, and I just got in from exercise! It was nice and sunny, with wonderful winds. Got in 5.2 miles today! Which leads me to giving my full week's mileage!Sly

this week: 16 (yay!!)
cumulative:693.6
Goal: There and Back again Group Challenge!!

Hope everyone is having a beautiful, lovely autumny week! Keep going strong guys!! CoolLaugh

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 14 2012, 2:06am

Post #9 of 9 (338 views)
Shortcut
Well done!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the BEST time of year to get some walks in... and doing 5 miles in one day is admirable :D Good for you!

sample

Unused Scenes

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.