Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thr range of Radagast's Shape-Shifting?

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 10 2012, 8:52pm

Post #1 of 24 (1669 views)
Shortcut
Thr range of Radagast's Shape-Shifting? Can't Post

We seem to believe Raddy was the Moth
that summonded Gwahir to Rescue Gandalf!

So if Raddy can reduce himself into a Flying
Insect..Whatelse could he turn into?
Personally I would to LOVE to let us
Play with the Possibilites?

But Bomby's Rules are..
Give your Family Here..yourFavorite..Fantasy?...
but make a Case for it
in how he could Progress the Plot.
No one is Right
No one is Wrong..

So have fun,
Fantasizing here..

One of us could be Right on
how the Production
turns out?
(Wouldn't be cool when. We watch..
Oh Magpie picked it?
Or gamma called it...)
WE..have 3 films
so this contest could be so Cute
as this Worldwide family finally
see the films!

xoxo to All of TORn
Bomby!

Apatcha
The Shire

Oct 10 2012, 8:58pm

Post #2 of 24 (647 views)
Shortcut
Neighing wizards :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know that somebody has posted such bold suggestions about Radagast and his shifting abilities.

But if he could have been the Moth, how do we know that one of his forms wasn't for example Shadowfax?? It might be little perverted idea, that one wizard was riding on top of another, but this is just world of fantasy. :D

That's what Bilbo Baggins hates!
So, carefully! Carefully with the plates!

dave_lf
Gondor

Oct 10 2012, 9:03pm

Post #3 of 24 (584 views)
Shortcut
A tree [In reply to] Can't Post

as mentioned in the poster thread. It explains his costume and the fact that he has birds living on him. Also, the poster has his image fading into that of a tree.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Oct 10 2012, 9:10pm

Post #4 of 24 (585 views)
Shortcut
Radagast the Hare [In reply to] Can't Post

Servants of the Necromancer are searching for Radagast as he tries to make an escape on his bunny sled. When the dark servants finally catch up with him...Poof! Radagast disappears! The sled is empty and the bunnies have stopped. The dark servants shrug they're shoulders and leave as the camera pans down to one particular Jackrabbit for a few seconds. Then this rabbit turns back into his wizard form and laughs, "That tricked them, didn't it?" Radagast says to his furry friends as he gets back onto the sleigh.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 10 2012, 9:12pm

Post #5 of 24 (601 views)
Shortcut
"Ere! Oo are you?" [In reply to] Can't Post

Squeaked PurseRadagast.

Radagast enjoyed sitting around Troll's behinds. Why else do you think he was Radagast the Brown? Unimpressed

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Oct 10 2012, 9:25pm

Post #6 of 24 (576 views)
Shortcut
NOOOOOO [In reply to] Can't Post

Raddy didn't obey the Animorph laws and was forever stuck as a moth.

Can someone photoshop Radagast transforming into a moth like on those Animorph book covers?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1f/Animorphs_19_The_Departure.jpg

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 10 2012, 9:29pm

Post #7 of 24 (564 views)
Shortcut
Animorphs! [In reply to] Can't Post

That picture brings floods of childhood memories back! How did I ever forget about Animorphs?!

Shocked

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 11 2012, 2:20am

Post #8 of 24 (383 views)
Shortcut
Expanded Thinking? [In reply to] Can't Post

Raddy doen't nessesarily have to Morph into
One Being..
Does he?
Imagine if an Orc shoots him..
He could turn into a Whole Flock of Birds
Beasts or
Trees?

Don't limit your thinking.
Bomby

Reptile
Rivendell

Oct 11 2012, 2:27am

Post #9 of 24 (411 views)
Shortcut
My impression is that he won't morph into animal form [In reply to] Can't Post

I've gone back and forth on this shape shifting thing. Originally I thought it would be cool if he just did a flash and turned into the moth, but after seeing the character and following some discussions here, I don't see it happening that way.

I suspect that Radagast will make a startling entrance, perhaps morphing from a tree into himself as Gandalf and the company are passing by. I think he will have much news from the animals and will use them as messengers, but I don't think he will change into any animal, we already get Beorn as a shape shifter. I also think Radagast will be sort of absent minded and preoccupied with his animal friends, so he won't be too much help to the company or the White Council, except for passing messages.

I thought about the idea of him dieing and passing his staff on to Gandalf, but this would dash any hopes that people have about there being a Radagast connection between the moth and the eagles for the later adventures. But his staff sure looks a lot like the one Gandalf carries in later days. If Radagast doesn't die, they will have to come up with some explanation for why he doesn't help out during the War of the Ring, Perhaps he will just become part of the forest.

"If you listen closely, you can hear the gods laughing."

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 11 2012, 6:45am

Post #10 of 24 (336 views)
Shortcut
I don't like the idea of Radagast shapeshifting at all... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I think it would be overkill, and steal Beorn's thunder Crazy

Fardragon
Rohan

Oct 11 2012, 7:30am

Post #11 of 24 (358 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien suggests [In reply to] Can't Post

that Beorn might have learned his shapeshifting from Radagast. So, anything Beorn can do, Radagast should be able to do better.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 11 2012, 7:35am

Post #12 of 24 (317 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, I don't recall that... [In reply to] Can't Post

... all I recall is Radagast being called a "master of shapes and changes of hue".

But really, I wouldn't want to see two fellows shapeshifting. One would be enough. The other's ability should be just about referred to, and left to the imagination. IMO of course Smile

Fardragon
Rohan

Oct 11 2012, 7:42am

Post #13 of 24 (326 views)
Shortcut
It's a very vague connection [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien states that Beorn is a normal human, who has learned some magic.

Tolkien mentions that Radagast and Beorn are friends.

And you quote the line that suggests Radagast might be a shape changer.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 11 2012, 7:46am

Post #14 of 24 (309 views)
Shortcut
Agreed - and it's the same with their respective animals, as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

We know Radagast will be accompanied with birds, owls, bunnies and hedgehogs.

Having 2 rather important characters that can both shapeshift, and have servant animals, seems pointless. Obviously I'd prefer Beorn to have his servant animals, but it would make Radagast and Beorn too similar.

stoutfiles
Rohan

Oct 11 2012, 11:49am

Post #15 of 24 (218 views)
Shortcut
Doubt that would work [In reply to] Can't Post

It's more likely that they would kill all the rabbits on the sled before leaving.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Oct 11 2012, 12:46pm

Post #16 of 24 (198 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

I just made that up for fun. I thought of them killing the bunnies too, but then again, they're just little rabbits. Surely even these servants would feel some pity for small furry animals. Wink

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Oct 11 2012, 12:48pm)

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Oct 11 2012, 2:31pm

Post #17 of 24 (191 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't see any of this happening either, at least not in such literal way...

Remember in Orthanc Gandalf spoke something to the moth, he asked for something, the moth became a messenger from then on. If the moth had been Radagast, then Gandalf wouldn't have had to spoke anything or ask for anything to start with, the moth would have just appeared to let him know help is under way.

I do not believe in the tree theory neither, because if Radagast turn into a tree, then audience will relate him immediately to Treebeard, maybe even thinking it's actually him. It would be somewhat confusing.

I'm believe the moth have definitely something to with Radagast, I always have, but I think PJ may solve it in a more poetic way. We'll see.

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

(This post was edited by Oscarilbo on Oct 11 2012, 2:34pm)

Fardragon
Rohan

Oct 11 2012, 2:43pm

Post #18 of 24 (192 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it will be made clear that the Moth [i]is[/i] Radagast [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just that they will never be seen in the same room together...

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Oct 11 2012, 3:04pm

Post #19 of 24 (202 views)
Shortcut
Personally, I have never assumed that the moth was Radagast... [In reply to] Can't Post

I won't deny the possibility that Radagast could assume the form of a moth, but that is as far as I will go on that subject.

It may be that Radagast's ability has more to do with illusion than transformation. Even so, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he can actually change shape. Like Merlin, he might be able to take on the form and ability of any living creature or thing with whom he is familiar, from fish to wolf, to eagle, to tree.

I think that Beorn's ability is very different from Radagast's and that it is something that came about on its own. The bear seems to be a totem creature for Beorn and his people; his abiltiy to change into a bear seems to be tied to a close identification with such beasts. Perhaps Beorn was originally some sort of druid or shamen among his people.

'Thus spake Ioreth, wise-woman of Gondor: The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known.' - Gandalf the White

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 11 2012, 3:55pm

Post #20 of 24 (189 views)
Shortcut
In the Second Age.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast babtized Beorn
inthe water of the River
Anduin..
Came Up with a Re- Newed sense
What it is
to Shape-Shift?

Check your Appendix A?
Under Lost Version only?
"Something Changed him

I feel it in the Water of the

Great River Anduin..

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Oct 11 2012, 4:05pm

Post #21 of 24 (167 views)
Shortcut
Interesting thought... [In reply to] Can't Post

However, I don't buy into your idea of Beorn being thousands of years old, Bomby. And I'm afraid that you'll have to produce your own copy of your "lost version" of Appendix A.

'Thus spake Ioreth, wise-woman of Gondor: The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known.' - Gandalf the White

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 11 2012, 5:06pm

Post #22 of 24 (151 views)
Shortcut
My Theory is Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Appendix A it states
"Beorn Babtized".2001 SA.

But it's written in Moon-Letters
Yet
this isn't Durin's Day?

Therefore Lost
to us Mortal Men,Dwarves, Readers..etc.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Oct 11 2012, 9:19pm

Post #23 of 24 (103 views)
Shortcut
I reckon Radagast [In reply to] Can't Post

was really Bill the pony, and he just got stuck in that shape for a bit because he forgot he was a wizard and felt like eating apples all day.

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Oct 11 2012, 10:47pm

Post #24 of 24 (115 views)
Shortcut
I don't think he will be shifting into anything.. [In reply to] Can't Post

(while being alive ;) )

I wouldn't mind him transforming into the moth as a last way to stuck around in middle-earth (if he really is being killed by Saruman or the Necromancer)
But for the rest of the movie, just let him be a funny, weird old guy with lots of natural wisdom!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.