Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
A map of part of the Dark Land continent

Bauglir100
Bree

Oct 9 2012, 2:08am

Post #1 of 12 (1113 views)
Shortcut
A map of part of the Dark Land continent Can't Post

http://bauglir100.deviantart.com/art/Southern-regions-of-Morenore-and-surrounding-areas-331466670

I made this map for my Silmarillion fanfiction, The Servants of Ungoliant, which is set in the southern regions of Arda, but most prominently the mysterious continent that appears on maps of Arda as "Dark Land".

I fleshed out the geography for the south-western regions and the nearby lands, since the details were pretty vague, anyway.

I hope you enjoy looking at it, and forgive me if it's a little blurry. I drew it on notebook paper.

aruman
Rivendell

Oct 16 2012, 1:01am

Post #2 of 12 (748 views)
Shortcut
Neat! [In reply to] Can't Post

I look forward to reading your fanfic!

In the movies Elrond, Denethor, Haldir, Galadriel, and Celeborn stink.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Oct 17 2012, 5:57am

Post #3 of 12 (874 views)
Shortcut
Karen Wynn Fonstad's interpretation of the Dark Land in the Third Age... [In reply to] Can't Post

Based on Fonstad's Third Age map of Arda (Figure 2) from the revised Atlas of Middle Earth, I would guess that much of the Dark Land continent ended up forming the bulk (if not the entirety) of Antarctica, while portions of it might have broken off to form modern Australia and New Zealand. By the Third Age, other new lands had also arisen in the West that would eventually become Greenland and the Americas.

Is your map based on a portion of this one?
http://www.lindefirion.net/maps/Ambarkanta2.jpg

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 17 2012, 6:03am)

Bauglir100
Bree

Oct 22 2012, 2:26pm

Post #4 of 12 (712 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for commenting on my map. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I actually had this map in mind:

http://tolkiengateway.net/...in_the_First_Age.png

Although I may some alterations. For example, instead of a mountains range called the Yellow Mountains, I used several other ranges, such as the Green Mountains and the Black Mountains (both of which are located at the northern and western borders of Arvalin/Delduthland), and I also used some mountain ranges from or inspired by non-canon material (the Merlock Mountains, east of Chasewood were mentioned in Hobbit-lore, namely "The Mewlips"; the Great Barrier Mountains were based on the encircling mountain range present in the Gene Deitch version of "The Hobbit"; and Thimbalt, the name of the gigantic mountains located within the circle, was an early name for Melkor's fortress in the North of Arda).

But, yeah, the south-western regions (expecially the Southern Wastes) are Antarctica, The north-eastern regions are Australia, and the central regions will later become Oceania and New Zealand.

I also added a few other geographical features, such as the Islands of Ormal, which located between the Dark Land and the Sunlands of southern Middle-earth.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Oct 22 2012, 2:41pm

Post #5 of 12 (755 views)
Shortcut
Source of the name 'Morenore'? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought, perhaps, that Morenore came from the Ambarkanta map; I can't find it in my Tolkien reference works.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Bauglir100
Bree

Oct 22 2012, 2:56pm

Post #6 of 12 (725 views)
Shortcut
Morenore's a non-canon name. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was used for Middle-earth Roleplaying. But I made use of it, as well as other material from MERP and The History of Middle-earth, for my Silmarillion fanfiction, The Servants of Ungoliant.

By the way, you should check it out sometime. It fleshes out a part of Arda that was never explored nor even mentioned in Tolkien's legendarium, and puts various unused elements that Tolkien created to better use.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Oct 22 2012, 3:15pm

Post #7 of 12 (710 views)
Shortcut
I have much of the MERP material [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't recall Morenore, but I remember that MERP's map of Middle-earth was made long before the release of The Shaping of Middle-earth and its Harad and Eastern lands bore little resemblance to Tolkien's diagrams that were published in the later work. I see a written reference to Mórenorë in The Middle-earth Campaign Guide, but I'm guessing that the folks at Iron Crown never attempted to physically depict either the Dark Land or the New Lands.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 22 2012, 3:20pm)

Bauglir100
Bree

Oct 22 2012, 3:30pm

Post #8 of 12 (804 views)
Shortcut
Actually, they DID cover "Morenore" [In reply to] Can't Post

I found this map of Arda of the Second Age, created for MERP:
http://fanmodules.free.fr/...er%20version%202.jpg

WARNING: IT'S HUGE!

(This post was edited by Bauglir100 on Oct 22 2012, 3:33pm)

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Oct 22 2012, 4:02pm

Post #9 of 12 (704 views)
Shortcut
I think that I've seen this before. [In reply to] Can't Post

If I'm right then this map is an amalgam created after the official MERP game went out of print. I believe that it combined the original MERP map with part of the world map for one of the campaign settings for I.C.E.'s Rolemaster game. In any case, it almost certainly dates from after the 1986 publication of The Shaping of Middle-earth. and takes the Ambarkanta for its inspiration.

Bauglir100
Bree

Oct 22 2012, 4:52pm

Post #10 of 12 (691 views)
Shortcut
Well, since we have this sorted out... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like to ask you what you think about the idea of me fleshing out the rest of the continent? I am working on a map for the central regions, and plan to do the same for the north-eastern regions.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Oct 22 2012, 5:13pm

Post #11 of 12 (713 views)
Shortcut
If I were you... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would probably expand the setting for use in an rpg campaign. However, if you just want to do the same for fun or to flesh-out your fanfic setting, there is nothing wrong with that either.

Your previous work didn't reproduce very well when you posted the link; the lines and text were just too light.

Bauglir100
Bree

Oct 22 2012, 7:04pm

Post #12 of 12 (989 views)
Shortcut
Well thanks, anyway. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I don't think I'll be able to replicate those maps onto plain paper. It's kind of a one-time deal kind of situation with my illustrations. I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me make a properly colored map, using the geography and names.

In the mean-time, I'd suggest darkening the computer screen to see if that makes it any easier to decipher. And feel free to check out my story. Tell me what you think of it under "Fanfic discussion: The Servants of Ungoliant".

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.