Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Benedict Cumberbatch on The Necromancer
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Fŕfnir
Rohan

Oct 8 2012, 8:09pm

Post #51 of 66 (671 views)
Shortcut
And that's what Benedict Cumberbatch [In reply to] Can't Post

meant when he said that preparing to play smaug, he trained himself to move in a reptilian way.
Before his trip to New Zealande, he's been witnessed several time trying to look like a dodo bird.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Oct 8 2012, 9:00pm

Post #52 of 66 (648 views)
Shortcut
Am I the only one looking forward to the making of's? [In reply to] Can't Post

"From Human to Reptilian" :D

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 8 2012, 9:19pm

Post #53 of 66 (633 views)
Shortcut
I *love* the making-ofs! [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel gypped when a movie's DVD extras are thin on the ground. (I'm looking at you, The Avengers.)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 8 2012, 9:22pm

Post #54 of 66 (612 views)
Shortcut
I find them a bit repitilative [In reply to] Can't Post

They get under my scales.

Wink

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Fardragon
Rohan

Oct 8 2012, 9:22pm

Post #55 of 66 (608 views)
Shortcut
Smaug, as drawn by Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

has four legs on the side of his body, similar to lizards and crocodiles (if you ignore the wings), but unlike dinosaurs.

But I expect what Cumberbach is talking about is the way lizards and snakes remain very still, and make very deliberate movements, with sudden bursts of speed. (Mammals, in comparison, tend to be more twitchy).

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Oct 8 2012, 9:23pm

Post #56 of 66 (654 views)
Shortcut
Rumoured...? [In reply to] Can't Post

''and I wonder if this is the origin of the rumored scene of Aragorn actually fighting Sauron at the gate''

That's not just a rumour. Just search on Youtube, the Aragorn vs. Sauron scene is real!

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Oct 8 2012, 9:53pm

Post #57 of 66 (596 views)
Shortcut
I still don't think [In reply to] Can't Post

its great to Mo-cap a man who walks on 2 legs upright, to play a beast who walks on all fours. i know mo-cap can do some great things but IMO they should have tried mo-caping birds (for flight) and reptiles (for natural movements) as apposed to a human being. I understand maybe mo-caping the face to get the expressions of the actor in the character but I think they should have tried motion capturing something that naturally walks on 4 legs. Monitor Lizards would have been perfect to mo-cap for a dragon actually (I've had 2 myself) if raised properly they are very docile and could be photographed in a miniature structure to give the computer artists some scale if need be. But Who knows it might work using a man who walks naturally on 2 legs upright instead of something a bit more natural on 4 legs.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Oct 8 2012, 10:15pm

Post #58 of 66 (594 views)
Shortcut
"Whose", not "who's" I meant! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Who is voice is that"? Bah humbug! Laugh

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Phibbus
Rohan

Oct 8 2012, 11:22pm

Post #59 of 66 (596 views)
Shortcut
By golly [In reply to] Can't Post

So that's where that glowy angel figure comes from. Shows what I know about the movies.

If they wanted an Aragorn confrontation at the gate, I'm not sure why they didn't just keep the mind-duel between him and the Mouth (instead of another pop-top beheading.)

Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream.

Fŕfnir
Rohan

Oct 8 2012, 11:39pm

Post #60 of 66 (558 views)
Shortcut
As Smaug will be lying on his pile of gold [In reply to] Can't Post

it doesn't really matter if he walks on four legs. Anyway, they're not forced to keep everything the mo-capped, and they can transform it at will, they just got something more to work with. It seems to be a strictly positive thing.

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Oct 8 2012, 11:45pm

Post #61 of 66 (582 views)
Shortcut
That's not the actual footage [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just Sauron from the prologue poorly edited back into the troll's place. The footage as it was actually shot should show Sauron as Annatar, not Sauron from the prologue.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Oct 9 2012, 7:20am

Post #62 of 66 (497 views)
Shortcut
Wrong... [In reply to] Can't Post

There are clearly some shots which are not in the prologue and show Aragorn fighting Sauron. Even PJ admitted that they shot these scenes!

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 7:23am

Post #63 of 66 (545 views)
Shortcut
You'll enjoy this [In reply to] Can't Post

Link

Sauron at 2.19 and 2.29.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Oct 9 2012, 7:25am)

Fardragon
Rohan

Oct 9 2012, 7:25am

Post #64 of 66 (514 views)
Shortcut
It's very unlikey we will see Smaug doing much walking [In reply to] Can't Post

In his big scene with Bilbo, he is just lying on his treasure, rolls over, moves his head to try and find the hobbit.

The rest of the time, he will be flying, and will probably be just down to the animators.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Oct 9 2012, 2:13pm

Post #65 of 66 (493 views)
Shortcut
It's not poorly edited... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's PJ & co mirroring the prologue with the Aragorn vs. Sauron fight ;)

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Oct 9 2012, 4:05pm

Post #66 of 66 (704 views)
Shortcut
!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow! I guess I spaced out for that part of the special feature. Ultimately I'm still glad they got rid of it..the fight is a little underwhelming. Maybe it's just because I'm watching it out of the context of the rest of the battle.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.