Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Excellent, Everyone! Thanks

justbennett
The Shire

Oct 8 2012, 11:33pm

Views: 415
Shortcut
Excellent, Everyone! Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I appreciate that quote very much. I think it is interesting that Tolkien didn't say, "I didn't like the soft feet." Instead he says, "I never believed in [them]." Of course, I'm not sure exactly what he meant or who he was writing to, but it is almost as if he is attempting to discern the Truth about orcs.

I've been wading through the writings of MacDonald, and the soft feet are right at home in his writings. His stories are at times poetic, at times epic, and at times straight up goofy. He seems to me like a story teller who cannot keep a straight face, nor can he resist the extremes. Parts of his writing are quite enjoyable and compelling, other parts are a little sticky sweet for me. Personally, I loved that his goblins had soft feet. They also were frightened by rhymes and songs.

Is it really so much worse than Tolkien's orcs being adverse to sunlight?

Anyway, the similarity of some of the descriptive passages in the mines and of the goblins made me think that Tolkien had to have been influenced by them. Now I think I'll go back and revisit some of the "fairy" type scenes from both authors. It seems like Frodo's encounters with Galadriel and with Bombadil are similar to some of MacDonald's fairy encounters. MacDonald's fairies are usually trying to teach or improve the protagonist in some way. I think a comparison might be interesting.

Subject User Time
The Princess and the Goblin justbennett Send a private message to justbennett Oct 4 2012, 8:35pm
    Have read the book sevilodorf Send a private message to sevilodorf Oct 4 2012, 11:57pm
    tolkien did talk about them? titanium_hobbit Send a private message to titanium_hobbit Oct 5 2012, 12:07am
    Head and feets Elthir Send a private message to Elthir Oct 5 2012, 12:07pm
        Excellent, Everyone! Thanks justbennett Send a private message to justbennett Oct 8 2012, 11:33pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.