Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Nori and the dragon [spoiler]
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Escapist
Gondor

Oct 4 2012, 3:51am

Post #26 of 31 (206 views)
Shortcut
PJ's LOTR does remind me of America now that you mention it. [In reply to] Can't Post

For every over-dramatized character arc there is a corresponding muted character arc.

Just like the good ol' USA ... for every madcap underwear-mailing fan there is another quieter fan that you probably never heard from. Cool

It's definitely not like a soap-opera where every single scene and character is required to be over-the-top dramatic at every moment blandly bleeding overly embellished staring-off-into-the-camera moments while every single female is expected to snog with every single male at some point in the history of the show.

Anyway, PJ's LOTR had variety - so - while I can think of some over-dramatized moments that I kind of drifted (actually only one comes to mind) off during like some 6 year old boy who squirms whenever anyone kisses on TV ... there were plenty of parts I liked quite a bit that skipped all that junk. I guess that I find that I can enjoy it by focusing on the good parts (which may be why I can only think of 1 scene that I thought had too much drama at the moment - but am coming up with multitudes of scenes that were fine on drama).

Also - not all drama is over-drama! Some moments should be dramatic moments. I can only think of a few that I thought were a little "over" for me on the dramatic. Actually, when the dramatic moments are more spread out, they are more striking and emphasize the critical nature of a particular moment rather than just ... yeah ... more drama ... and then more drama ... and guess what - this is also so dramatic ... like Dragonball Z where each season must top the previous one for ridiculous over-the-top powerfulness of enemies and heroes until it just gets silly.

Too much drama is like eating yummy candy ...

all
day
long

... sickening.

PJ's LOTR is not like that ... honestly ... do you really think it is?

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Oct 4 2012, 4:35am

Post #27 of 31 (209 views)
Shortcut
It's merely that you seem to assume that this will overtake the focus [In reply to] Can't Post

Without acknowledging that LotR avoided this problem as well. In fact, LotR was able to incorporate character arcs directly with all the climaxes, for one. Say all you will about Faramir's changes, but they certainly served a far greater purpose (and helped Gollum get through his arc as well, which was necessary to deepen his character). There's more to arcs than defining a clear story problem and then spending time having a neat resolution. There's subtle gestures, acknowledgements by characters, and parallels in the story. What if Nori, at the end, reluctantly takes his share because of the sacrifice they've all made to have to get it? He still goes off to live his happy life, but he's obtained a greater understanding of things around him?

We'll not know how "heavy" these elements are until we see the films themselves, but the sheer adversity to something you didn't imagine simply because it wasn't there in the first place is very closed minded. Seriously, where have the indicators been that Nori is going to be such a huge part of this story? Gandalf, Thorin, and Bilbo are clearly the main characters, but you seem to jump on just being vitriolic to character reveals because you think it will "detract" from the story. Feel free to worry, but just don't get overboard here!

(This post was edited by GoodGuyA on Oct 4 2012, 4:36am)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 4 2012, 6:59am

Post #28 of 31 (166 views)
Shortcut
I think you are debating an imaginary person GoodGuy [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously, when did I ever say that I believe Nori is going to be a HUGE part of the story?

All I said was that I hope PJ doesn't overdo the dwarf character arcs, that's all. It is a hope, not a condemnation...

Fardragon
Rohan

Oct 4 2012, 7:32am

Post #29 of 31 (170 views)
Shortcut
I share your concern [In reply to] Can't Post

But not out of a desire for "purity" (It 2D and 3D film are different media, then film and novel are even more different).

I'm simply concerned that the film might become bloated with irrelevant sub-plots. I think filmic bloat is PJs greatest weakness as a film maker. This guy hates to cut.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 4 2012, 7:38am

Post #30 of 31 (177 views)
Shortcut
My desire is not for "purity" either [In reply to] Can't Post

At least not the kind of purity most people think of.

I just want a good film, and extraneous sub-plots have the capacity to sink it.

kzer_za
Rivendell

Oct 4 2012, 1:09pm

Post #31 of 31 (287 views)
Shortcut
The Warg attack is better than Helms Deep? [In reply to] Can't Post

Have to say I don't understand that at all. What about it feels more Tolkien to you? I don't mind PJ deciding to put in action scene there, but I think it's clearly the worst major action scene in the trilogy. The choreography, the editing, the warg CG - almost everything about it seems perfunctory and generic to me. And the Gimli pile-on/warg smell joke is sillier than "toss me!"

(This post was edited by kzer_za on Oct 4 2012, 1:15pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.