Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
**The Hobbit Geeky Observation Lists** call for contributions!!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Reptile
Rivendell

Oct 4 2012, 9:22pm

Post #26 of 47 (264 views)
Shortcut
Gandlaf leaving Bag End [In reply to] Can't Post

As Bilbo is running along, trailing his contract, you can see Gandalf in the background, walking down the hill from Bag End (about 47seconds into the second trailer). Their might also be a brief shot of Gandalf arriving, at about 14 seconds into the same trailer, but I am not quite convinced about that instance.

Also,one of the trolls is poking a crude looking sword at Bilbo at about 56 seconds into Trailer 2.

I hope I'm looking at the same version as others in posting the times here. I was looking at the you tube version because it plays better on my machine. I think these scenes are about 7 or 8 seconds later on the official trailer.

"If you listen closely, you can hear the gods laughing."

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 4 2012, 9:40pm

Post #27 of 47 (256 views)
Shortcut
What eyes you have! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've just re-watched the trailer, and can definitely see two figures walking at ~14 and ~47 seconds. Laugh

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Reptile
Rivendell

Oct 4 2012, 9:59pm

Post #28 of 47 (232 views)
Shortcut
sort of a reach [In reply to] Can't Post

It's clear there is a figure moving in those shots, but I may be reaching a little guessing at these being Gandalf. But thanks for the reply; I'm celebrating leveling up. I've been lurking around here for many years, and I see I just made it from Bree to Rivendell. (I don't often have much to add, but when I do I usually try to spell it right--I almost got a 100% on that post.)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 5 2012, 12:10am

Post #29 of 47 (200 views)
Shortcut
This is great! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

The format is fine and the info is wonderful! Well done, Arwen's daughter... thanks everso!

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 5 2012, 12:23am

Post #30 of 47 (196 views)
Shortcut
Lookit that! [In reply to] Can't Post

GREAT CATCH! That's an awesome shot :) I love the pair of hobbits sitting near the center of the pic and the 2 who look like they're wrestling off to the left!

This is exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks Magpie :)

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 5 2012, 12:33am

Post #31 of 47 (204 views)
Shortcut
See... there are a bunch of tidbits [In reply to] Can't Post

Not just the blue-glow of both swords (and of Sting), but the shape. AND your observation of swords vs axes is absolutely something that will listed in weapons on the Room for a Little More section. EVERYTHING fascinating about these films and the detail used in making them goes on the lists :)

This is fantastic! THANKS!

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 5 2012, 12:41am

Post #32 of 47 (232 views)
Shortcut
**Another point I need to make...** [In reply to] Can't Post

In my approach to these lists, I must say that I do not put negative, critical or nitpicky items in the lists. I know that may rub some the wrong way... and I'm sorry about that. But as I say in my explanation in the LotR Geeky Observation site, after all the incredible work and devotion Peter and everyone affiliated with these films have given... I will not criticize what they've achieved. That would be a list for someone else to host. ;)

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 5 2012, 12:48am

Post #33 of 47 (206 views)
Shortcut
I noticed that, too [In reply to] Can't Post

The similarity of Gloin's appearance and his weaponry. It would have been weird if there wasn't a connection there for us to latch onto ;)

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 5 2012, 1:17am

Post #34 of 47 (193 views)
Shortcut
These are great! [In reply to] Can't Post

You've put a lot of work into this :) The runes are always a fascination to me! THANKS!

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 5 2012, 1:20am

Post #35 of 47 (227 views)
Shortcut
You've made it to Rivendell! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hear the food is AWESOME!!! *high five* Congratulations!

sample

Unused Scenes

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 5 2012, 2:03am

Post #36 of 47 (204 views)
Shortcut
One question [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it just the lighting that makes Gimli's prosthetics look WAY more realistic than Gloin's, or something else?

Plus, what's up with the dwarven "back combs" this time? They look Andrew Dice Clay or Alec Baldwin versions of themselves. Gimli's hair, on the other hand, falls down quite naturally...

Ok, that was two questions.

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Oct 5 2012, 2:09am)

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 5 2012, 2:44am

Post #37 of 47 (203 views)
Shortcut
Ooohhh.... this is *awesome* [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't seen any of these before Gramma, but I think I do remember hearing about them! And after reading the FOTR ones I have to say this is right up my alley! I'll defenitely be printing out your old "geeky" lists! This was a fantastic idea--the kind of thing we on TORN should be justly famous for!

Whilst y'all be combing the vlogs and trailers for accumulated visual geekery, I think I'll wait for the actual films, and I know I will have some muscial-realted geekery to contribute.
And is it still possible to add to LOTR observations? It will take me a while to finish the complete LOTR list, and I know I may have something to contribute there! Links to how to do this please, when I have the time?

Plus--come to think of it--does anyone know if the famous old post (on another site I think) by Acalogon The Black "A Complete List of Changes From The Book To The LOTR FIlms" or something of the sort, listing all the diffs between films and books, can still be found anyhwere, or has it disappeared from Archives forever? Reading this makes me want to savor that again.
(And Mr Shelob might fancy that too!Smile)
it was such a famous post/essay that it was was mentioned in "The Frodo Franchise"...

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 5 2012, 3:41am

Post #38 of 47 (199 views)
Shortcut
Oooh, I hope [In reply to] Can't Post

mine didn't come across as nit-picky or negative. I took extra geeky delight in everything I observed. (Even that there were Kendo Shinais and Japanese bo in the training area, though I didn't mention them.)

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 5 2012, 9:14am

Post #39 of 47 (248 views)
Shortcut
Some observations: [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Frodo has a different colour book, compared to the one he reads at the beginning of FOTR
2) This is Martin Freeman, and not Ian Holm
3) You can't see it very well, but the pictures on the wall here are the same as seen in FOTR and ROTK, but newer. They probably didn't keep the originals?
4) Bilbo's parents are above the fireplace, as in the trilogy.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 5 2012, 11:16am

Post #40 of 47 (150 views)
Shortcut
Nope, not at all! [In reply to] Can't Post

In the past (for LotR) some submissions were downright nasty. I don't do Nasty... and I know you don't either ;)

NO WORRIES!

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 5 2012, 11:36am

Post #41 of 47 (186 views)
Shortcut
Great :D Well done!! Thanks DanilLB! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

Unused Scenes

Reptile
Rivendell

Oct 8 2012, 3:00am

Post #42 of 47 (153 views)
Shortcut
I just noticed Bifur singing Bilbo's song from FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

I was watching some production diaries this afternoon and I noticed that two of the dwarves (Bifur and Bofur, I believe) singing snippets from Bilbo's song about the "Merry Old Inn" that Frodo sang on that unfortunate night at the Prancing Pony in Bree (in the book). I'm guessing this song will show up either at the Unexpected Party or perhaps at the inn in Bree, if they happen to stop there.

On a slightly related note, one of the production diaries had a brief shot of Peter Jackson in costume--perhaps as a hobbit, but could it be possible that he will reprise his cameo of the carrot-eating local in the scene in Bree from FOTR.

I'm sorry I can't be specific about which production diary I saw these scenes in; I was watching a collection of the first six PDs that were all together in one video. I believe both of these things were in the very early production diaries.

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Oct 8 2012, 5:24am

Post #43 of 47 (152 views)
Shortcut
Its the third vlog around 8:40 [In reply to] Can't Post

Out of costume, James Nesbitt (Bofur) sings the first line.
Then Bombur and Dwalin sing the next.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 4:45pm

Post #44 of 47 (125 views)
Shortcut
No worries! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

These are great! I can't wait to see Peter's cameo! If he's a hobbit again, I'll be soooo happy!

Thanks Reptile!

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 4:45pm

Post #45 of 47 (110 views)
Shortcut
Whoa... you're good!! *bows deeply* THANKS! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 4:51pm

Post #46 of 47 (144 views)
Shortcut
I don't know where that book vs film list is... [In reply to] Can't Post

but it would be fascinating to see!!!

I'm in the process of updating the LotR lists, so if you haven't printed them out yet, hold off for a couple more weeks ;)

And YES to any and all additions for the LotR list. I'm adding to it all the time, plus still working on some additional sections.

These lists are organic and constantly growing and changing... and I absolutely welcome any editing offers.

THANKS!

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 12 2013, 2:41am

Post #47 of 47 (133 views)
Shortcut
**I've Gathered Geeky List Info from this post :) THANKS ALL! // [In reply to] Can't Post

gramma's The Hobbit: Unexpected Journey Line Party Report & Review
and first draught of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

Unused Scenes

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.