Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New Poster
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 2 2012, 4:39pm

Post #76 of 91 (1798 views)
Shortcut
Yup, that's a typo! Thanks :-D / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Oct 2 2012, 4:41pm

Post #77 of 91 (1819 views)
Shortcut
photoshopped [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm...the figures in that poster seem to be cut and pasted from this other poster with the mountain background (which we first saw in the White Dwarf magazine)

http://www.gbeye.com/...the-hobbit-cast-maxi

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 2 2012, 5:42pm

Post #78 of 91 (1842 views)
Shortcut
Orchrist's Glow [In reply to] Can't Post

In this poster there is a halo effect around Orchrist's blade. It is especially noticeable when the blade is compared to its cross guard and pommel, or to the other weapons on display in the poster.

The blade appears to either be out of phase, vibrating or, as I said, glowing. What say you?

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Oct 2 2012, 5:43pm)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 2 2012, 6:22pm

Post #79 of 91 (1784 views)
Shortcut
The image recycling is bordering on tedious. [In reply to] Can't Post

When you consider the hours of stock they shot, you would think there'd be enough fresh images for scores and scores of posters and books. I wonder if it's a problem with Red stock -- or what is involved when doing make-up for 48fps -- that it's too much of a bother to convert stills for print?

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 2 2012, 6:30pm

Post #80 of 91 (1787 views)
Shortcut
my memory from LOTR products [In reply to] Can't Post

is that the cheaper products - and by cheaper I mean low quality, not inexpensive - all had cheaper looking graphics. I wonder if the companies making these products buy a bundle of images from the film company and its up to them to make those images work for their packaging, etc.

I bet Kristin Thompson would know something about this.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Oct 2 2012, 6:31pm)

Inkraven

Oct 2 2012, 7:29pm

Post #81 of 91 (1845 views)
Shortcut
I recolored the poster to look similar to LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

Just for fun. Since this poster reminded of the trilogy ones for way back when.

Original Hobbit poster for reference: http://www-images.theonering.org/...it-action-poster.jpg

Crappy recolor http://img850.imageshack.us/...9/lotrhobbitpost.jpgLaugh

Flame of Udun
Rivendell

Oct 2 2012, 9:53pm

Post #82 of 91 (1712 views)
Shortcut
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's amazing what a little color grading can do to a feel! :D

"'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand. What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.''

Flame of Udun
Rivendell

Oct 2 2012, 9:54pm

Post #83 of 91 (1708 views)
Shortcut
but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

i still agree with people that the lens flare just has to go!

"'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand. What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.''

burgahobbit
Rohan

Oct 2 2012, 10:29pm

Post #84 of 91 (1711 views)
Shortcut
That's very cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to TORn Inkraven! Smile

vexx801
Rivendell

Oct 3 2012, 3:57am

Post #85 of 91 (1653 views)
Shortcut
I didn't see anyone else post about this [In reply to] Can't Post

But I am fairly certain that the orc/goblin in the bottom lefthand corner of the poster appears to be in a barrel. If anyone sees something different, feel free to correct me. Given what we know from the recent toy descriptions, I cannot help but wonder if this is supposed to play into the [SPOILER] idea of a goblin following the party all the way to Erebor. It's also entirely possible that it is simply a goblin machine, just thought I would bring that up.

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Oct 3 2012, 4:46am

Post #86 of 91 (1621 views)
Shortcut
Probably a Goblin Town barrel... [In reply to] Can't Post

that thing behind the goblins looks like one of their apparatuses. Also, it would have to be a mistake for something from DoS to be included in the poster. Good catch, though...and you still may be right. A goblin scout would explain them showing up in BoFA. I just hope for the general audience's sake that its not so obvious what he's doing as to spoil the surprise.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 3 2012, 5:21am

Post #87 of 91 (1605 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

The idea of a random goblin tracking the party from the Misty Mountains all the way to Erebor, and even hiding out in a barrel to follow them down the river, is so hilariously bad, that I almost wish it was going to happen. Sly

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 3 2012, 7:17am

Post #88 of 91 (1607 views)
Shortcut
It could just be a barrel placed in front of the goblin? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Beren0nehanded
Bree

Oct 3 2012, 1:02pm

Post #89 of 91 (1572 views)
Shortcut
Ummm Gollum? [In reply to] Can't Post

I scrolled through everyone's comments and it's possible I missed someone mentioning this but . . .

How does Gollum not make a spot on a poster that contains so many characters?! Considering how they are likely to end this movie with Riddles in the Dark and Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Fire, Gollum needs more poster-time!

Besides, this is the only movie out of the three to contain Gollum and Riddles in the Dark is arguably the best chapter in The Hobbit!

Don't be hasty.

Fardragon
Rohan

Oct 3 2012, 1:48pm

Post #90 of 91 (1591 views)
Shortcut
It may look more like LotR [In reply to] Can't Post

But it's unlikely to match the palette of a movie where most of the important action happens in the dark.

Trolls, reading the map, and practically everything after the Stone Giant.

I expect the second film posters with have a dark green and brown palette, since much of the action takes place in Mirkwood. The final film posters will be grey and gold.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

(This post was edited by Fardragon on Oct 3 2012, 1:51pm)

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Oct 11 2012, 2:22am

Post #91 of 91 (1509 views)
Shortcut
Hi, Magpie! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry to have responded so late. I've been at the Vancouver International Film Festival, with no time, alas, to check the Message Boards.

All the licensees producing LOTR merchandise were given a style guide devised by the film designers themselves. (Mainly Weta Workshop people, I suspect.) I talk about this briefly in The Frodo Franchise (pp. 194-95). These guides were gorgeous, by the way. I wish I could have reproduced some pages in my book, but I couldn't get New Line's permission. My guess would be that the inexpensive and/or low-quality items either printed the packaging on lower quality paper or cardboard, or perhaps reproduced the graphics from the guide with a copying system that didn't give a very clear result. All the products I've seen, however cheaply packaged, did follow the basic guidelines about color, graphic style, and so on.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.