Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Oct 3 2012, 4:21am

Post #26 of 40 (218 views)
Shortcut
A stage play: "Lombardi". [In reply to] Can't Post

About the Green Bay Packers coach, set (with flashbacks) during a week in 1965.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Hamfast
Rohan

Oct 3 2012, 4:26am

Post #27 of 40 (234 views)
Shortcut
LOL...my bad. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I secretly live vicariously through Thor, and see him (myself) smashing the heck out of just about everything around him Laugh

You know....there a lot of great moments in that quinjet scene. Isn't that when Cap is worried about the Stars and Stripes being old fashioned, and Coulson tells him we could use a little old fashioned right now. I love that line. Coulson also has some good fanboy moments in the scene, and Stark asking Cap if his thing is Pilates? Laugh

'You might have missed a few things when you were a Capsicle' Laugh

imin
Valinor

Oct 3 2012, 12:59pm

Post #28 of 40 (222 views)
Shortcut
Band of brothers - what a show! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love how they talk briefly with the real men who were in Easy company before the episode starts. One of my favourite shows. You are right, Damian Lewis was excellent in it as well. I havent seen Life so will have to get round to that.

We dont get as far as im aware Kingdom or Warehouse 13 in the UK but my gf really likes Once Upon a Time.

With netflix is it possible to watch them over the internet? If so maybe you could stream through a laptop with hdmi onto your TV? I am guessing it doesnt though as i imagine you would have done that already, lol.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 3 2012, 1:52pm

Post #29 of 40 (208 views)
Shortcut
thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah, I think Joss' commentaries for Firefly and Serenity are of equal value to the shows themselves.

I am on such a tight budget right now I don't think I can justify the price of purchasing it. (and our Blu-ray player was taken out of someone's trash pickup but seems to work, even if it is a cheap model) But I'll keep it in mind.

I wonder if the Netflix disc offers the extras. The movie companies have been taking extras off the discs they sell to Netflix leaving a note on the extras menu page that reads: 'want to see extras? buy the disc.'

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 3 2012, 1:59pm

Post #30 of 40 (212 views)
Shortcut
Kingdom is a UK show with Stephen Fry [In reply to] Can't Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/.../Kingdom_(TV_series)

Netflix has streaming BUT...

1) it costs double to get both discs and streaming

2) not all shows/movies are available on streaming - in fact, I'd say most aren't. I do have access to Amazon Prime streaming and I think it's about the same as Netflix streaming. They don't have Homeland. You can buy movies and tv episodes that aren't available for free with the basic Amazon Prime package. But that runs 2-3 dollars and episode.

3) my early Roku doesn't support closed captions and I pretty desperately need closed captions. I can get by if I wear headphones but that shuts off the sound to the speakers which means no one else can watch the show with me. My husband and I like to find tv shows we enjoy and watch the episodes together.

imin
Valinor

Oct 3 2012, 2:26pm

Post #31 of 40 (219 views)
Shortcut
Shows how much i know [blush]! [In reply to] Can't Post

I do like Stephen Fry so will have to check it out, thanks for the wiki link.

Ah i didn't know that about Netflix. It sounds very similar to Lovefilm over here. Loads of films to be sent to you but not so many available to be streamed.

I just watched the homeland episode online but if you need captions then i guess they will only be on when it comes out on dvd/blu-ray.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Oct 3 2012, 8:44pm

Post #32 of 40 (212 views)
Shortcut
Have you ever heard the Musical! commentary for Dr. Horrble's Sing-Along Blog? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes I get the commentary songs stuck in my head more easily than the original songs.

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 3 2012, 9:03pm

Post #33 of 40 (194 views)
Shortcut
no - is it on the DVD? [In reply to] Can't Post

my son asked for and got the DVDs for a gift one year. So they're in the house, somewhere.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Oct 4 2012, 12:03am

Post #34 of 40 (200 views)
Shortcut
It is on the DVD [In reply to] Can't Post

There are two commentaries: one musical and one more serious. I think both are worth a listen, personally.

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 4 2012, 1:23am

Post #35 of 40 (197 views)
Shortcut
thanks // [In reply to] Can't Post

Padfoot
Bree

Oct 4 2012, 6:22am

Post #36 of 40 (203 views)
Shortcut
Movies to watch... [In reply to] Can't Post

Since there wasn't really anything good on TV, I chose to re-watch "Sense and Sensibility", haven't seen that one in a while. Also I watched the 2006 version of "Jane Eyre", which I enjoyed very much (as long as you watch the original sound, the German dubbing is simply embarrassing and horrible!)

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 5 2012, 5:44pm

Post #37 of 40 (182 views)
Shortcut
I neglected to say... [In reply to] Can't Post

that I think, if you like Damian Lewis, you will like Life. He just has a sort of presence on screen and it was as evident in Life as in Band of Brothers, in some ways more because he was the central character in Life.

His co-star in that was Sarah Shahi who I'm now enjoying in the tv show, Fairly Legal.

Ring-Bearer
Rivendell

Oct 6 2012, 3:23am

Post #38 of 40 (232 views)
Shortcut
Any one else know of and enjoy 'Northern Exposure'? [In reply to] Can't Post

Such a lovely show from the '90s that takes place in the fictitious and beautiful town of Cicely, Alaska.

'What are we holding on to, Sam?'
'There's good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for!'

'I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!'

Padfoot
Bree

Oct 8 2012, 6:10am

Post #39 of 40 (177 views)
Shortcut
Weekend TV [In reply to] Can't Post

What did I watch? Hm.... the usual. On Sundays, this means NCIS and The Mentalist.

Loved Northern Exposure. Due South is another favourite show of mine.

Signature by kiteflier with kind permission from http://www.richardarmitagenet.com

Patty
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 12:53pm

Post #40 of 40 (234 views)
Shortcut
I have that trouble with QI... [In reply to] Can't Post

and miss much of what is said. That, coupled with some of the jokes being particularly British I don't get as much of it as I'd like to.

Permanent address: Into the West

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.