Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Who hates computers?

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 1 2012, 10:09am

Post #1 of 20 (383 views)
Shortcut
Who hates computers? Can't Post

I do! I do! I do!

It seems that me and computers just don't go together! I have had 2 computer problems at work in less than a month. Both problems have occured after a weekend. And because I get in super early, I have to wait hours and hours for the IT guys to come in and fix it. I've been at work for 4 hours now, and only just been able to log on. Unsure The first time there was an electrical fault in the system, blowing a fuse. Today, it's a flaming display driver error! Stupid computer tells me there's a driver error and needs updating, but how can I update you if you don't let me log on and keep restarting! *throws computer out the window*

And don't even get me started on the 2 laptops I have at home that aren't working ...

I knew I shouldn't have come in today! Laugh

Rant over. I should probably get on with some work, shouldn't I?

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Carne
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2012, 10:14am

Post #2 of 20 (163 views)
Shortcut
No problem with my PC [In reply to] Can't Post

But my Macbook Pro on the other hand....

It will freeze if I scroll through a page with a lot of pictures and I have to reboot it.

80% of the time the screen goes dark if I'm watching a video. This also happens the instant I enter some sites. The Mac is still on, but the screen is dark and yet again I have to reboot.

Extremely annoying and I do not want to pay a massive amount to get it fixed, so I guess I just have to deal with it.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 1 2012, 10:32am

Post #3 of 20 (187 views)
Shortcut
The things we do to avoid paying out ridiculous sums of money [In reply to] Can't Post

I have two laptops at home which I use, and although they don't work very well, I deal with it as well. One of them is just too old, and just needs getting rid of. I have no idea what the problem is with the other one, but it works in safe mode. And if it works in safe mode, it will do. Wink

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 1 2012, 3:27pm

Post #4 of 20 (163 views)
Shortcut
not me [In reply to] Can't Post

I've had a PC almost since they became available - since the mid-80s! I've had two Gateways, a Dell (current PC, getting old now but still a trooper), and three Toshiba laptops and they've all worked very well.

What amazes me is how much more powerful and cheaper they've become over the years. And smaller.

I do have a computer-whiz brother who talks me through any problems. I've never had the kind of problem that requires you to return the computer to the store.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 1 2012, 4:02pm

Post #5 of 20 (162 views)
Shortcut
We have one of them missing from out family [In reply to] Can't Post

A computer-whiz, that is. Wink I'm sure I could fix all the problems if I knew how to.

I've had a Toshiba since I started Uni (2007ish), so it's lasted well. It's just slowed to a snail's pace now, and Word doesn't load, rendering it pretty much useless (to me).

Nightingale
Rohan

Oct 1 2012, 5:44pm

Post #6 of 20 (133 views)
Shortcut
Ah, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

can you still get Wikipedia? Wink

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C. S. Lewis

"That line between the earth and sky came beckoning to me..." - Laurie's Song

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Oct 1 2012, 6:41pm

Post #7 of 20 (142 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see someone posting a rant..you encourage me to write some of my own! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I've lost count of the number of times that I've wanted to throw my PC out of the window, although remembering Basil Fawlty's hilarious car-thrashing from "Fawlty Towers" always prevents me from carrying out this procedure.Wink

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 1 2012, 9:47pm

Post #8 of 20 (132 views)
Shortcut
Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em [In reply to] Can't Post

I've had a computer in some form for thirty years now, and can no longer write anything longer than a grocery list without one. The internet is a wonderful thing, too---TORn being a great example---but boy, can it suck down your time and energy!

However, there are days like Sunday, when my husband spent hours trying to figure out why one of my e-mail addresses kept saying I wasn't entering the right password, when I was. He finally set the whole system back to before the last update. Sheesh.

I'm very fortunate my husband is good with computers because I look at a computer like I look at my car---I want to get in and drive off, I do NOT want to tinker beneath the hood! (Or bonnet, depending on the dialect.) One of our sons is also a very high-powered computer guy, actually makes his living at it, so that's helpful too.

I hope all your computer problems have been fixed by now!

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2012, 10:12pm

Post #9 of 20 (135 views)
Shortcut
Aw Daniel... technology bites the backside very often :s... ... I've had few problems so far... but they'll come.. they'll come :( // [In reply to] Can't Post

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 2 2012, 2:09am

Post #10 of 20 (119 views)
Shortcut
*checks watch* What time is it? [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree about nasty, tricksy 'puters... but what you've had to go through is just WRONG! My job is sitting at a computer all day as well. When it's sick or temperamental... I take working up a froth to a whole new level!

At my work, they took away our metal keys and gave us swipe cards to get into the building and then the office. They did this before working out the bugs. I spent more than a few morning sitting on the bench waiting for someone with a key to the only door to get inside to show up. By then there were about 4 of us waiting. They hinted that we may have to take personal/vacation time for those 1 to 2 hours we waited. NOPE. Ain't gonna happen. Either give us earlybirds a key or fix the card swipe.

Hang in there, Big D. Next time, just put your head down on the desk and take a nap. Then maybe they'll get you some decent equipment ;)

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 2 2012, 9:07am

Post #11 of 20 (113 views)
Shortcut
Trusty wikipedia! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know you're never supposed to use wikipedia (especially with academic work) ... but you'd be surprised how many of my colleagues use it!

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 2 2012, 9:08am

Post #12 of 20 (114 views)
Shortcut
I just looked on youtube - hilarious! / [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 2 2012, 9:12am

Post #13 of 20 (107 views)
Shortcut
That's an entirely true, Lily. [In reply to] Can't Post

My Phd involves sitting in front of the computer all day (hence why I'm on TORn so much Wink). They are brilliant machines, but there is always something that just doesn't go right.

Luckily all the problems are now fixed. I had a good moan so I might be getting a new one too Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 2 2012, 9:13am

Post #14 of 20 (105 views)
Shortcut
It will come ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Evil

Just save everything to your hard-drive. That's my worst habit ... my heart skips a beat every time it doesn't turn on ...

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 2 2012, 9:16am

Post #15 of 20 (105 views)
Shortcut
Taking a nap sounds like a great idea ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

The tech people never consider us who like to get up early, do they? Wink

It wasn't so bad yesterday as I had reading to do, and luckily, it was on a Monday morning. The IT guys only work mornings Mon-Wed. I would have been in trouble if it happened Wednesday afternoon. Shocked

Nightingale
Rohan

Oct 2 2012, 2:20pm

Post #16 of 20 (112 views)
Shortcut
According to a Cleese commentary I have [In reply to] Can't Post

they spent quite some time looking for a branch with just the right amount of humorous flexibility... it paid off!

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C. S. Lewis

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Oct 2 2012, 9:59pm

Post #17 of 20 (99 views)
Shortcut
It certainly did! [In reply to] Can't Post

Absolute comedy gold. I think the fire drill sequence is even funnier though Laugh

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

Nightingale
Rohan

Oct 3 2012, 10:57am

Post #18 of 20 (109 views)
Shortcut
"I don't know why we bother. We should let you all burn!"// [In reply to] Can't Post

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Oct 3 2012, 9:09pm

Post #19 of 20 (144 views)
Shortcut
*raises hand* [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm typing on my kindle fire right now on less than fifteen percent battery, using the wi fi at my car dealership, because our stupid router at home wont talk to our computer. Hence my absence of late. Also my car 's A/C isn't working. Mad Probably a computer inside the car. Crazy

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Padfoot
Bree

Oct 8 2012, 9:21am

Post #20 of 20 (169 views)
Shortcut
Hate computers... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hate computers... about once a day at least, when the thing refuses to do what I want it to... Mad

signature by kiteflier with kind permission of http://www.richardarmitagenet.com

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.