Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Amazing New Merchandise For THE HOBBIT

Orc13
Bree

Oct 1 2012, 12:59am

Post #1 of 10 (1799 views)
Shortcut
Amazing New Merchandise For THE HOBBIT Can't Post

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=68023

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2012, 1:04am

Post #2 of 10 (735 views)
Shortcut
Some great stuff, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was never quite happy with Weta's inability to capture the actor's faces. They never look quite right. I don't know why they don't use face scans to mold the faces.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2012, 1:48am

Post #3 of 10 (552 views)
Shortcut
Cool! Thanks for the link. [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is a hotlink to make it a little easier.

Thanks again!

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

burgahobbit
Rohan

Oct 1 2012, 12:40pm

Post #4 of 10 (338 views)
Shortcut
The path from Hobbiton (spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

That leads into the wild in the Wilderland map seems a bit messed up. There is a path that seems to be the path of the company as it goes from Hobbiton to the trollshaws, from the trollshaws to Rivindell, and from Rivindell to the Misty Mountains. But then it goes through the old forest road, and up to Lake-town without ever touching the Carrock, Beorn's house, the elf path, the Elven Halls, or the forest river. What's that all about? Could this be the company's intended road that later got messed up?

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Oct 1 2012, 12:46pm

Post #5 of 10 (298 views)
Shortcut
The road [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the artist just chose to continue the path of the Great East Road and connect it to the Old Forest Road via High Pass and the Old Ford. It makes sense. The map still has the Carrock and the smaller Mirkwood path marked, so I don't think it necessarily implies a change in the story. I agree with your thought that the line represents the intended path of Thorin&Co, but I think in the book it states that they intended to take the Forest Road through Mirkwood anyway before Beorn advised them against it

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 1 2012, 12:48pm

Post #6 of 10 (297 views)
Shortcut
That's the Old Forest Road [In reply to] Can't Post

And Beorn warned them against using that road - it had become overgrown, used by Orcs, and at the end of it, there were impassable marshes.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

TheRealBeren
Rivendell

Oct 1 2012, 6:20pm

Post #7 of 10 (243 views)
Shortcut
Howe, Tolkien and Fonstad [In reply to] Can't Post

I like how they followed closely John Howe's unbuilt floor plan from FOTR.Still, there is not much resemblance to the Fonstad/Tolkien design.
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/9995/fonstad3oj.jpg

Lightice
Lorien

Oct 2 2012, 12:20pm

Post #8 of 10 (147 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's contract? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is anyone here wealthy, meticulous and, lets face it, crazy enough, ot transcribe Bilbo's whole contract on some handy website, such as this? I'm crazy too, and want to read all of it, but not wealthy enough to justify the purchase of the replica.

I like how they followed closely John Howe's unbuilt floor plan from FOTR.Still, there is not much resemblance to the Fonstad/Tolkien design.
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/9995/fonstad3oj.jpg

That probably wouldn't fit in the WETA soundstage. It's at least twice as big as the one they made.

(This post was edited by Lightice on Oct 2 2012, 12:21pm)

DarkJackal
Rohan

Oct 2 2012, 3:54pm

Post #9 of 10 (134 views)
Shortcut
I may not be wealthy, but I am meticulous and a little crazy [In reply to] Can't Post

Check the main board for my contribution to this issue.

The Hobbit Photo Gallery

Lightice
Lorien

Oct 2 2012, 6:41pm

Post #10 of 10 (258 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's still for hoping that someone will transcribe absolutely everything once they get their hands on the prop, though.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.