Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
I think it's strongly implied that Gimli reached Valinor.

CuriousG
Valinor

Oct 11 2012, 4:51pm

Views: 585
Shortcut
I think it's strongly implied that Gimli reached Valinor. [In reply to] Can't Post

Appendix A: "...Legolas followed at last the desire of his heard and sailed over Sea...We have heard tell that Legolas took Gimli Gloin's son with him because of their great friendship...If this is true, then it is strange indeed: that a Dwarf should be willing to leave Middle-earth for any love, or that the Eldar should receive him, or that the Lords of the West [the Valar] should permit it. But it is said that Gimli went also out of desire to see again the beauty of Galadriel: and it may be that she, being mighty among the Edlar, obtained this grace for him."

I think for an Elf to go "over Sea" means going to Valinor, not taking a cruise, and it seems that if they seek it, they will find it. Though this passage is written as part of the hobbits' Red Book of Westmarch, and they weren't in Valinor to confirm the arrival, I would still take it as a reflection of Tolkien's views. Not meaning to quibble. It's just that the way the book is written, I don't see any doubt that Gimli and Legolas reached Valinor.

As for Arwen, I wholly agree that any ship she was on would not have been allowed to take the straight path to Valinor, and she knows that herself. Had she been with Legolas and Gimli, they would have had to drop her off somewhere if they were to make it to their goal.

Some Tolkien rules just can't be bent or broken. One would think that Melian, as a divine being, would be free to follow Luthien's spirit if she wished, but she cannot. That's a very poignant point when Luthien comes back to Doriath as a mortal: "But Melian looked in her eyes and read the doom that was written there, and turned away; for she knew that a parting beyond the end of the world had come between them, and no grief of loss has been heavier than the grief of Melian the Maia in that hour." For that matter, after Thingol dies, Melian doesn't join him in the Halls of Mandos and isn't able to get him out (as Luthien succeeded with Beren), and he doesn't appear to be reincarnated anytime soon, leaving her to "muse upon her sorrows in the gardens of Lorien, whence she came..."

Subject User Time
Arwen Evenstar couldn't cross the sea, but Legolas and Gimli could? smoothbutta Send a private message to smoothbutta Sep 29 2012, 5:39pm
    Arwen, Gimli and Valinor DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Sep 29 2012, 5:54pm
        We don't know that Legolas and Gimli got there, just that they sailed. Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Sep 29 2012, 7:15pm
            Thanks Elizabeth. :-) Let's imagine she changed her mind ... DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Sep 29 2012, 7:48pm
                From all the indications, the choice was irrevocable. Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Sep 29 2012, 11:02pm
            I think it's strongly implied that Gimli reached Valinor. CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Oct 11 2012, 4:51pm
    Those who are called justbennett Send a private message to justbennett Oct 4 2012, 8:21pm
        A nice synopsis. Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Oct 5 2012, 7:11am
        returning Dwarrows Elthir Send a private message to Elthir Oct 5 2012, 12:42pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.