Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So, what are your "Hobbit" plans?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Rolfina
Rivendell

Sep 30 2012, 10:07pm

Post #51 of 59 (640 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

The one thing that drives me insane in theatres these days is people who cannot even refrain from playing with their phones for the two-two and a half hours it takes to watch a movie. Sitting in the dark and having someone's phone screen glare into my eye drives me mad every time. The other day I even started cussing to the woman next to me who was starting to use her phone, in German none the less as I was so mad I had forgotten I was in Bath. Blush
Now the idea someone would actually start typing away on their tablet in the dark theatre.... Are you sure you want to do this? Better hope I won't be there. Evil

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2012, 12:27am

Post #52 of 59 (626 views)
Shortcut
well to be honest... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be seeing it in 2D at 24fps definitely not on opening night. I'm going to wait till Friday or Saturday and see it before noon, that way i am only paying $5 bucks to see it and not giving WB any more of my hard earned money than humanly possible. Angelic I still believe the whole "3 film" decision was their idea to generate more revenue over the course of this trilogy and I won't give them any more of my money than I have to. Tongue

Tim
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2012, 1:04am

Post #53 of 59 (628 views)
Shortcut
You and Sunflower seem to be birds of a feather in this regard [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not like this at all. I actually wish I could generate this kind of enthusiasm for, well, anything. I hope you both enjoy the movie, I have a feeling PJ will do a good job.

King Arthur: You know much that is hidden oh Tim.

Tim: Quite.

(This post was edited by Tim on Oct 1 2012, 1:04am)

GothmogTheBalrog
Rivendell

Oct 1 2012, 1:33am

Post #54 of 59 (605 views)
Shortcut
That's entirely possible. [In reply to] Can't Post

However, my friends are going with me, dressed as a Hobbit and an Elf. The one dressing as a Hobbit is really tall, so it's going to be pretty funny.

"It was like a great shadow, in the middle of which was a dark form, of man shape maybe, yet greater; and a power and terror seemed to be in it and go before it." ~FotR

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2012, 1:37am

Post #55 of 59 (612 views)
Shortcut
I don't have to worry about missing [In reply to] Can't Post

any opening night costumes where I am. Since the Dark Knight shooting the theater I usually go to has banned costumes so there really isn't much need to go to opening night to see anything like that. Besides when i can see the same film for $5 instead of $10 or $12 I'll do it Smile

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 1 2012, 10:49pm

Post #56 of 59 (563 views)
Shortcut
Well, that's Gramma for ya [In reply to] Can't Post

I often call her the "5th Founding Member" of TORn (though she'd deny it and deny it). Smile She's sort of an institution around here. I wish you could meet her, Mr Shelob. I think afterwards you might even forget to be skeptical. She's just that much of a sweetheart....AND Tolkien fan extrordinaire...

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 1 2012, 10:56pm

Post #57 of 59 (559 views)
Shortcut
You know [In reply to] Can't Post

Back months earlier, and over the summer, I was excited but there were times when it really was all just, some days, meh. But since Comic-Con, or right about there, I think in a paradoxical way the films have become more important. Not that I'm really obsessed or anythingSmile, but I find it unbearable to even read the news anymore.....and everyone I know is going through such heard times. There's been little enough cheer to go around. And nobdy seems to have real hope for the future or dream any really big dreams. It's all they can do to hang on, and everyone is turning inward.

I take a look at the world around me, and can't help thinking that Th is coming along at just the right time. It's more than just escape...we really need to be reminded of something that in a mass medium and will bring us a bit of joy. (Hence my thread last week in Main.)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 1 2012, 10:59pm

Post #58 of 59 (579 views)
Shortcut
Her enthusiasm is infectious [In reply to] Can't Post

Honestly, I love people like that, as they help relieve me of my bouts of cynicism!

On TORC, there is a user "Wildwood" who is equally fun-spirited, though she refuses to watch the films. Her posts are full of smileys, and offers of chocolate, and I just can't help but get all caught up in it.

There, I said it. I am a sucker for positive women!

Rohirrim Rider
Rivendell

Oct 3 2012, 4:19pm

Post #59 of 59 (629 views)
Shortcut
My Hobbit screening plans are more advanced than I would have guessed they'd be at this point [In reply to] Can't Post

Even though I'm looking forward to the film hugely and am literally counting the days it was only the other day that I realised I had made plans to see it seven times already, all in the first couple of weeks!

Screening 1 is a nice easy one - I am lucky enough to manage a very nice cinema and so, as it turns midnight between the 13th and 14th December, I'll be starting a staff screening of the film. 2D, 24FPS. I've said it before but that's how I left Middle-Earth - that's how I plan to re-enter it. And, as I say, that'll be with a few members of staff and my girlfriend.

Screening 2 will be on the afternoon of December 14th (I'll be working the evening and can't wait - I worked all of the openings for LOTR and feel very nostalgic for those shifts) at the cinema I used to work at and the one I watched all of the original trilogy at. That showing will be 3D and will be just me.

Screening 3 will be on December 16th and will be with a friend who I travelled around New Zealand with back in 2010 where she got dragged to many of the locations. Luckily she loved them and so this will be our chance to see some of what we saw together on the big screen. And that will be in IMAX, in 3D and 48fps. That one's the real treat!

Screenings 4 and 5 will be the week after Christmas when I visit my relatives back home. I took my little sister to see each of the LOTR films every Christmas when they were out and, although she's no longer little, I intend to keep up the tradition and take our 16 year old niece along too who is currently mad about Lord of the Rings. And my best friend lives there who I watched all three of the originals with and he's the biggest Tolkien geek I I know so seeing it with him as soon as we get the chance in mandatory.

Then, over the new year, I've made vague plans for screenings 6 and 7 - once at my cinema (it's free!) with my girlfriend and her parents and once at the local IMAX digital with a friend.

I'm sure there will be more screenings afterwards as well. I ended up seeing Fellowship about 13/14 times on its first run (it was when I started working at a cinema and the excitement of being able to go for free got to me) and have gotten to at least 20 big screen viewings of it n the years since. Never once has it felt diluted. I hope it's the same way with The Hobbit.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.