Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Tip of the iceberg

Barrel-Rider
Bree

Sep 28 2012, 12:36pm

Post #1 of 20 (2110 views)
Shortcut
Tip of the iceberg Can't Post

How much do you think that we really know about dwarven culture, characteristics and their honour code?

Some of the dwarves in the vlogs have recieved very little exposure.
It was only in the last trailer that we actually heard Balin speak.
By extending the book over three films there may be a lot more to contemplate than we have gleaned so far.

I wonder if Peter Jackson decided to play a game with us when he gave this line to old Bilbo (Ian Holm):
"While I can honestly say I have told you the truth, I may not have told you all of it."

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 28 2012, 2:51pm

Post #2 of 20 (772 views)
Shortcut
I don't know half of Dwarven history as I should like; and I like less than half of it half as well as it deserves. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Barrel-Rider
Bree

Sep 28 2012, 4:06pm

Post #3 of 20 (642 views)
Shortcut
That is the short and sweet answer [In reply to] Can't Post

"I don't know half of Dwarven history as I should like; and I like less than half of it half as well as it deserves."

In the light of Dain and his army riding into battle on a pig/boar do you think we will get to the see the background information regarding this as we saw the warg pits in Isengard?

And, if dwarves have an honour code what is considered dishonorable?

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Sep 28 2012, 4:53pm

Post #4 of 20 (585 views)
Shortcut
Cool [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing more to addSmile

I can not guarantee his safety - understood...
Nor will I be responsible for his fate - Doh!

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Sep 28 2012, 6:34pm

Post #5 of 20 (641 views)
Shortcut
I should not say it but [In reply to] Can't Post

I hate it when people mangle Tolkien quotes trying to be cute or profound. It just gets on the last nerve I have left. Of course it has nothing to do with being on over night shift this week,

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

stoutfiles
Rohan

Sep 28 2012, 6:39pm

Post #6 of 20 (595 views)
Shortcut
If more of us valued Dwarven history above action and comedy, it would be a merrier world. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 28 2012, 7:01pm

Post #7 of 20 (550 views)
Shortcut
We all have our pet hates :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry to annoy you! Let's hope your night shifts go swiftly this week!Smile

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Sep 28 2012, 7:34pm

Post #8 of 20 (579 views)
Shortcut
I do not think so. [In reply to] Can't Post

Like much of middle-earth history Dwarf History is a story of the long decline and is quite tragic.

Photobucket

Snaga
Lorien

Sep 28 2012, 8:54pm

Post #9 of 20 (505 views)
Shortcut
For me it's 'Gandy' and 'Rhady' // [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy

In Reply To
I hate it when people mangle Tolkien quotes trying to be cute or profound. It just gets on the last nerve I have left. Of course it has nothing to do with being on over night shift this week,

"Alas for Boromir! It was too sore a trial!"

-Faramir

emre43
Lorien

Sep 29 2012, 5:19am

Post #10 of 20 (426 views)
Shortcut
You probably... [In reply to] Can't Post

...shouldn't be frequenting a board dedicated to Tolkien then really.

In Reply To

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Sep 29 2012, 7:18am

Post #11 of 20 (406 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

how exactly do you figure that? A respect for Tolkien's words disqualifies me from posting here. Stick around and we can discuss it.

Photobucket

emre43
Lorien

Sep 29 2012, 6:30pm

Post #12 of 20 (332 views)
Shortcut
Just wondering why you frequent a Tolkien forum... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and then get annoyed when somebody quotes him. What are you expecting? I didn't say anything about you being disqualified form posting. Just wondering why it would annoy you. Especially something as trivial as a quote. I gues I'm just somebody who likes to live life to the fullest and don't allow myself to get annoyed by things. Just seems a very trivial thing to allow yourself to get annoyed by. I don't see the point in getting annoyed so choose not to.

In Reply To
how exactly do you figure that? A respect for Tolkien's words disqualifies me from posting here. Stick around and we can discuss it.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 29 2012, 7:47pm

Post #13 of 20 (307 views)
Shortcut
Why does he frequent here? [In reply to] Can't Post

Because he is our resident lovable curmudgeon. A most unquenchable curmudgeon! All Tolkien sites should have a curmudgeon or two in their care—to teach them the meaning of the word, and to correct them.

(Couldn't resist answering that with a Tolkien quote! Angelic)

(And Kangi would be the first to admit his curmudgeonness. Wink)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Sep 29 2012, 11:09pm

Post #14 of 20 (307 views)
Shortcut
To quote Tolkien is one thing (I do this a lot.) [In reply to] Can't Post

to warp a Tolkien quote by substituting your own words in key places is disrespectful of the author. It especially annoys me when the person is attempting to be cute or witty. I have the right to be annoyed just as you have the right to not succumb to said feeling. I come to these boards for two primary reasons. I am fairly certain that I have good things to contribute to the discussion and I am very certain that I have things to learn from the same process.

Photobucket

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on Sep 29 2012, 11:10pm)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Sep 30 2012, 12:29am

Post #15 of 20 (294 views)
Shortcut
Got to keep you young whipper-snappers in line [In reply to] Can't Post

and off peoples lawns!

Photobucket

emre43
Lorien

Sep 30 2012, 8:14am

Post #16 of 20 (214 views)
Shortcut
Fair enough [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok, it's disrespectful to the author. To be honest, I think he would be pleased that his works have made such a profound effect on people's lives rather than insulted by it. I wouldn't be insulted if somebody warped something I said for entertainment purposes. Daniel wasn't intending to insult Tolkien he used the quote in a lighthearted way. If yu want to get annoyed by that you are fully entitled to by all means, each to their own I suppose. Personally, I'd prefer to live life than allow myself to be annoyed by things so trivial.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 30 2012, 9:57am

Post #17 of 20 (218 views)
Shortcut
Was I attempting to be witty? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes I was. But I certainly wasn't (deliberately) trying to be disrespectful towards Tolkien at all - I see it as a bit of fun - I like to have a joke. We all have different opinions and views here on TORn, one is always going to bump into something that they disagree with.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 30 2012, 12:14pm

Post #18 of 20 (204 views)
Shortcut
To supplement what dernwyn said, [In reply to] Can't Post

we welcome all opinions here, and it's against our Terms of Service to criticize other members. It's fine to disagree with what someone has said, but no one has the right to make personal attacks.

Now that you've had two Admins responding to your comments, I hope our message is clear.

emre43
Lorien

Sep 30 2012, 12:17pm

Post #19 of 20 (195 views)
Shortcut
Personal attack? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry I'm baffled. I asked him why he found somebody quoting Tolkien on a Tolkien forum annoying, I most certainly wasn't being malicious, I'm not that kind of person. If anything it was DanielB that was attacked because he was accused of being direspectful toards Tolkien, I didn't throw any accusations about or name call or anything along those lines. Unsure how I could be accused of a personal attack.

I guess I should apologise if I've somehow caused offence but there was certainly none intended.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 30 2012, 1:33pm

Post #20 of 20 (289 views)
Shortcut
One can be [In reply to] Can't Post

annoyed, but there's no need at all to express it here. Doing so is just mean-spirited, which is also against the ToS. Whenever one finds themselves annoyed, and wanting to express it in a post, it's time to move on.

Speaking of moving on, I suggest this sub-thread end here as the only things being discussed at this point are personal.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.