Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What TV-shows do you watch?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 29 2012, 9:10pm

Post #26 of 43 (685 views)
Shortcut
I enjoyed it in its 'first run' [In reply to] Can't Post

and then rewatched it a few years later in syndication. It was during syndication when it started to make a deeper impact on me.

I think the first time through, I (and probably most people) are eager to follow what's happening. To get to some sort of 'climax' or resolution. But when I watch it the second or third time, I know what's going to happen. And then I pick up on the threads between things I saw no direct connection before.

My favorite episode, maybe because it's the one where I had my aha moment, was "First Snow".

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Elizabeth
Valinor

Sep 29 2012, 11:09pm

Post #27 of 43 (932 views)
Shortcut
Roughly 20 mins of every hour :-( [In reply to] Can't Post

Many shows will run longer without a break at the beginning to get viewers hooked, but then make up for it later in the hour.

The subscription channels on cable (e.g. HBO), Public Television (supported by grants and donations), and a few more don't have commercials. The rest do.

I haven't watched network TV in 40 years, and nothing regularly on any channel except for occasional series on HBO and Public Television. I do get movies and TV shows from Netflix, though.

Join us NOW in the Reading Room for detailed discussions of The Hobbit, July 9-Nov. 18!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Hamfast
Rohan

Sep 29 2012, 11:45pm

Post #28 of 43 (995 views)
Shortcut
Bon Iver, Magpie.... [In reply to] Can't Post

such a great episode. There is a musician who goes by the name Bon Iver, and he got the name from the same episode you mentioned. He locked himself away in his father's hunting cabin with all of the seasons of Northern Exposure being the only entertainment he brought to write and record an album over winter. I read somewhere the show had a very profound impact on him. If you get the chance check out clips from the album 'For Emma, Forever Ago', beautiful acoustic and eclectic elements that sound haunting and ethereal. Really good stuff i've been thinking about sharing in the music thread.

I love the parts in 'First Snow' when Ed and Holling are going about the town trying to see who might not make it through the winter, so they'll know how many graves to dig Laugh

zarabia
Grey Havens

Sep 30 2012, 1:36am

Post #29 of 43 (633 views)
Shortcut
Some favorites [In reply to] Can't Post

My absolute favorite is the little known Community. It's been on the chopping block since the beginning, but it hasn't been canceled yet because it's beloved by critics and a small band of rabidly devoted fans. It's always described as "meta" and criticised for being inaccessible, but it's unlike anything else on TV. For example, where as Big Bang Theory (which I also enjoy) makes humorous references chaos theory, Community has an episode that actually demonstrates chaos theory with different story lines opening up with the toss of a die. They also have a take-off on Dr. Who called Inspector SpacetimeLaugh

Other than that, I love:

Dr. Who
Grey's Anatomy (though it's not as good as it used to beUnsure I still watch it)
Thirty Rock
Project Runway (kind of a guilty pleasure, but I genuinely admire the creativity)
The Amazing Race (I didn't watch it at first because I hated the idea that people literally raced through these fascinating countries, but somehow I got hooked)
Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations

A lot of PBS like:
Masterpiece - Sherlock, Inspector Lewis, Downton Abbey
Nova (and Nova Now)
American Experience
POV
Frontline
Rick Steves' Travels in Europe

Though many dramas such as Grimm look fun and interesting, I don't watch many besides those on PBS because many of them seem to be the sort of thing that if you miss an episode, especially the first, you're completely lost. Or else there's some underlying mystery to the whole series so that you're committed to watch indefinitely to finally get to the resolution. I think that works well for British shows like Life On Mars (love, love loveSmile) because they only have as many episodes as makes sense. They don't continue season to season just because ratings are still good. But I have to admit that my attention span and patience aren't what they used to be Tongue

zarabia
Grey Havens

Sep 30 2012, 1:39am

Post #30 of 43 (640 views)
Shortcut
Yay, Life on Mars! John Simm(s) is awesome in that. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Sep 30 2012, 1:40am

Post #31 of 43 (949 views)
Shortcut
OME (Eru), that's exactly the same as me Welsh Hero!! I literally don't really watch anything else! [In reply to] Can't Post

Other than some comedy stuff maybe

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

zarabia
Grey Havens

Sep 30 2012, 1:44am

Post #32 of 43 (863 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Northern Exposure! That used to be my #1 must see TV show :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 30 2012, 1:58am

Post #33 of 43 (634 views)
Shortcut
Bon Hiver... [In reply to] Can't Post

is how I think it reads in French.

Justin Vernon grew up not too far from where I live. I can't say I've listened to Bon Iver much. Although I have been listening to the local indie music radio station more lately so if his music is on there, I've perhaps heard it. I've certainly heard of the group. You should bring it up in a music thread and remind me to go listen.

The seasons and the metaphorical meanings (not so metaphorical at times) mean a lot to me and that came out in that show a lot. Accepting, honoring, and even celebrating darkness and death as part of light and life speaks to the duality of the universe. Joel fighting his patient's declaration she is going to die, the morbid planning of plots for the winter and then walking out in the first snow and greeting it with joy and calls of bon hiver.. understanding how it all tied together was perfect for me.

I also liked Marilyn a lot... esp. since we shared a name and I was interested in Pacific Northwest native tribes. So I liked the episode with the Raven pageant in it.

I have thought, more than once, that I should rewatch all the episodes.

I used the greeting Bon Hiver quite a lot in my own celebration of the seasons.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 30 2012, 2:03am

Post #34 of 43 (912 views)
Shortcut
agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that show, and how it ended, was just brilliant. I consider it one of my top 5 favorite shows of all time. And if I had to rank those 5, it might place higher than slot 5.

Have you seen him in anything else? I watched State of Play just for him and enjoyed that. And, of course, he was in Doctor Who.

zarabia
Grey Havens

Sep 30 2012, 5:26am

Post #35 of 43 (644 views)
Shortcut
I've only seen him as the Master in Dr. Who [In reply to] Can't Post

Sam Tyler is so decent and honorable yet conflicted and confused, while the Master is so deliciously malevolent while showing slight glimpses of vulnerability. The fact that he can play both so brilliantly and convincingly proves how talented he is. I'm going to have to find State of Play.

And yes, Life on Mars was wonderful! One of my favorites also Smile I had seen the American version first, not knowing anything about the British one. I thought it seemed like an interesting concept, but just couldn't get into it. Fortunately after discovering John Simms on DW, I ran across LoM on an alternate PBS station. Yay! Even though the first episodes of each version are very similar plot-wise, there's no comparison. The American version seemed like it was trying too hard, and there was just no chemistry between the actors. The fantastic acting and the chemistry between actors was one of the reasons the British version was so good.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 30 2012, 5:31am

Post #36 of 43 (941 views)
Shortcut
Castle, The Amazing Race, Sherlock, Doctor Who.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've recently been watching (and loving) Leverage on DVD, and I also enjoy Downton Abbey. I watch The Mentalist when I remember to, and Bones if I happen across it.

Silverlode

imin
Valinor

Sep 30 2012, 7:38am

Post #37 of 43 (845 views)
Shortcut
Bon Iver is fantastic [In reply to] Can't Post

Skinny love was the first i heard from the album and i knew i had to get it as soon as i could! Like you say very ethereal and haunting.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 30 2012, 12:47pm

Post #38 of 43 (638 views)
Shortcut
It's changed over the years [In reply to] Can't Post

and as I've gotten more busy. Most of the time, I've got shows on that I just half-watch as I'm busy at the computer (mostly on TORn stuff ;)

What I watch most (if I don't have a movie popped in) are:

HGTV fix-it shows & All-American Handyman, Property Brothers, Income Property, etc. (I'm a lone home-owner, so I do most of the repairs myself)
FOOD network Diner, Drive-in and Dives, Chopped, Food Truck, etc.
HISTORY channel, Ice Road Truckers, and history programs
DISCOVERY channel Deadliest Catch, etc.
News Broadcasts (news every evening/morning) and lots of MSNBC at night.
The Voice
TCM - old movies
BBC - Kitchen Nightmares

It varies, and I watch a lot of SyFy channel and whatever movies might be on... but only when I'm sitting and working at my computer, which is perched across the small livingroom and facing the tv :)

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 30 2012, 4:46pm

Post #39 of 43 (894 views)
Shortcut
hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't even know there was an American version of Life on Mars. But won't be looking for it.

On the other hand, the American version of State of Play was every bit as good as the British one, I thought. They changed some of the parameters to make it fit American politics better, and it worked. Russell Crowe as the veteran reporter and Rachel Adams as the gung-ho newbie had great chemistry, and Ben Affleck was quite moving in the David Morrissey role (surprised me too, but I've found that Ben has his "on" moments, and lately he's been "on" in everything). So I recommend watching both.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 30 2012, 5:26pm

Post #40 of 43 (923 views)
Shortcut
I kind of checked Life On Mars (US) out on the web [In reply to] Can't Post

when I read what the finale was about (it was cancelled pretty quickly) - I decided I wanted no part of it.

The new movie coming out with Ben Affleck in it has caught my attention.

And I can remember watching him in The Voyage of the Mimi when he was 12 years old. :-)

batik
Tol Eressea

Sep 30 2012, 9:49pm

Post #41 of 43 (580 views)
Shortcut
let's see---TV [In reply to] Can't Post

currently watching:
Season 5 of Sons of Anarchy -- this is an *intense* level show with plenty of viewing advisories. Well written, well acted. A bonus for LOST fans...both Titus Welliver and Harold Perrineau have had roles in this series.
Season 2 of Hell on Wheels---not quite as intense but still plenty of action that take places as the railroad was being built across the American West. The interactions that take place among the characters-- which includes former Union and Confederate soldiers, recently freed slaves, Native Americans, women, immigrants from Ireland and Germany (among others) and businessmen--ranks high as my reason for watching.

Coming up soon:
Season 3 of The Walking Dead---what can I say--zombies! This one can be quite graphic with one over the top gross-out scene per episode.

Coming up later:
Mad Men---I just started watching this past winter (season 4 I think) and was interested enough to play catch up via Netflix.
Justified--another one I came late to and caught up with via Netflix.

Last but not least--A Game of Thrones.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 30 2012, 9:57pm

Post #42 of 43 (864 views)
Shortcut
have you seen Deadwood? [In reply to] Can't Post

which has Timothy Olyphant (Justified) and Titus Welliver (Sons).

Highly recommended if not. Especially if you can take the intensity of SoA, WD, and GoT.

I just put Hell on Wheels in my Netflix queue based on your recommendation.

batik
Tol Eressea

Sep 30 2012, 10:03pm

Post #43 of 43 (960 views)
Shortcut
Deadwood is... [In reply to] Can't Post

on my to watch list ---I need to look at netflix again and see if it's available on the instant/streaming option.
Hope you enjoy Hell on Wheels!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.